WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer
    is he around this year?
    Hope not, for other hikers. He preys on the kindness of the trail community.

Well get the word out definitly to everyone. If you see this thief call him out and embarass him all you can. I can't believe the person that saw him partying at Trail Dayz didn't call him out right in front of as many people as you could. Call him by his real name "bundy" as in the serial killer and if you see him in town tell an officer because I gaurente this guy has missed a court apperance or two and has bench warrants out on him. Plus as soon as he know's alot of people know him, reconize him and call him out he'll leave the At and go back to the intersection holding the "will work for food sign".

This may be the same guy I ran into at Lost Mountain Shelter near Damascus in Oct. 2003. He was going by the name "Injun" at that time. Said he was from Kentucky and on medical leave from the military. Had an obsession with trapping shelter mice and carried traps. He has dark/graying hair, dark eyes, and is very "hyper". I also was told he left a campfire burning at Lost Mountain when he left that morning. He was wearing black jeans, black army tank top, knee pads and raindear bells strapped around his knees "to keep bears away". Friendly but very strange. Also talked about the military complaining that he was "too violent". Be careful.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default a plan for elwood

in college we had a housemante that ran up the phone bill to like $500 and wouldnt pay up. we lost the phone, housemate wouldnt leave...
    we took gentian violet and put in into empty gelatin capsules...gential violet stains skin very dark purple and wont wash off....every one in the house except the looser knew when not to take a shower in the morning, we had placed the gentian violet filled capsules in the shower head....the water got hot and our friend suddenly had a head/face died purple.....
    So if you know Elwood is going to be in a certain area he is certain to look into a packed left JUST for him....who knows what could be in the pack, anything from a rattlesnake to indiglo blue (another cool dye) ....ok the rattlesnake could be rubber if a real snake is too extreme for the politically correct here but you get the idea...........of course the offending hands could be removed too
    Start out slow, then slow down.

GAME 2000
    Images

MM, that may be a good thought and is humorous to think about, but it is a bad idea as one would be more likely to injury innocent folks. First of all lots of folks probably think they see Elwood when they really don't. Second, you can't be sure who is going to look into a package that you leave behind... even if you put "for Elwood" on it.

When Mowgli (aka Little Bear) and I ran into him last year in the Smokies, I wasn't really sure it was him until we got off the trail, read where he had recently been seen and looked at a posted photo of him. At the shelter he was just full of BS on his facts about his long distance hiking, as they were obviously impossible to those of us that were aware of the trails he was bragging about. He wasn't noising around anyone's gear that I saw and in fact was helping out other campers by letting them use his Zip stove to cook their diner (their pressurized stove had went up in flames a day or two earlier). Once I thought it was him I discretely warned at least one member of every group to keep an eye on him and not leave their equipment alone with him because he might be a thieve. Mowgli decided to see if he would let him take his photo and he did. I think we handled it the right way, if we had run into any park service personel we would have mentioned what we thought to him and Mowgli did just that we he got home and got a chance to. My point to all this is: what if we were wrong and it wasn't Elwood, maybe it was just one of you, would you have a problem in how we treated you?

Youngblood

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Default Old threads never die....

Isn't this all old news?

Didn't 'Elwood' change his handle to 'Saved', stole one last car (...just one more for the road?...), slithered off to south Georgia where he hooked up with an unsuspecting rural family, and got nabbed when he tried to renew his driver's license? The family he befriended even came onto Trail Place to defend him. Or was that yet another trail thief?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/arch...hp/t-6067.html , then scroll down. I think Neem posted:

A 33-year-old Rhode Island man who reportedly used the Trail name “Saved” last year has been arrested in rural Georgia on fugitive warrants from Virginia as a suspect in a series of residential break-ins and car thefts off the A.T. in Wintergreen, National Park Service (NPS) rangers reported today. Procedures were being instituted to extradite David Lescoe from Middle, Ga., to Wintergreen. Federal law-enforcement agents, with many hikers and Trail-town members calling in leads, had been looking for him on and near the Trail since last September after two break-ins (including one at the home of an ATC member) were reported and a stolen automobile was recovered at the A.T. parking area along the James River. “Although serious crime is a rare occurrence on the Trail, it's nice to know that, when a situation like this develops, the Trail community will join forces with the law-enforcement community to resolve it,” NPS A.T. Ranger Todd Remaley said, asking that anyone with information on any thefts on the Trail between June and October and between New York and Georgia call him at (717) 258-5771.
    January 26, 2005

(from the ATC website)
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

I found a picture someone posted of Elwood, Saved, etc.- if accurate, this is not the same guy I encountered at Lost Mountain Shelter.

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default sorry Debbie

Elwood and Saved are not the same people. I wish we only had ONE person EVER out on the trail causing any grief. Then he could be dealt with and we could all stop the worrying.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Janet
    Elwood and Saved are not the same people. I wish we only had ONE person EVER out on the trail causing any grief. Then he could be dealt with and we could all stop the worrying.
    I didnt think so. and I think Saved was milling around SOBO of trail days this year.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

I thought saved was in jail for around 20 years.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries
    Images

i just got a report that he was in harpers ferry last month....i mean elwood....

Images

i would love to meet these two as--oles,it would be a pleasure,i hate thieves and liars with a passion neo

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Janet
    Yes, that would be nice, but I must say with all the hiking I've done problem people have been rare. Where else on earth would I be unafraid to go to sleep with a bunch of people I've never seen before?

I got the idea Elwood and Saved were the same from a previous post by Dances with Mice. She thought Elwood changed his name to Saved. I really don't know-it appears the character I met is yet another one. Hopefully he's harmless, but he did set off my internal red flags.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie
    ...from a previous post by Dances with Mice. She thought ...
    She? Nope DWM is a he.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood
    She? Nope DWM is a he.
    And the biggest clue of that is that I was wrong.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Rocket GA->ME '04
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie
    I found a picture someone posted of Elwood, Saved, etc.- if accurate, this is not the same guy I encountered at Lost Mountain Shelter.
    I think I also met the guy you're referring to on my thru-hike in 2004, in the first shelter in the Shenandoah. At least your description seems exactly the same. He was a pretty nice guy, entertained us with some jokes. And he was keeping count of how many mice he'd killed!

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default Not Saved...

"I think Saved was milling around SOBO of trail days this year.[/QUOTE]

No, you didn't see Saved... David Lescoe is in jail. Maybe you are still confusing him with Elwood.... who has gone by Double A and Constant Motion. I haven't heard of him being around at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket04
    I think I also met the guy you're referring to on my thru-hike in 2004, in the first shelter in the Shenandoah. At least your description seems exactly the same. He was a pretty nice guy, entertained us with some jokes. And he was keeping count of how many mice he'd killed!
    Sounds like him. He said he had pictures of the mice he'd killed and planned to make a collage when he got home, with his picture in the middle and two traps at each corner. I'd love to see that(I think).

all of the links to Steve-o/elwoods picture are no longer working. After reading Awol's book I'm curious to see what this guys looks like. Does anyone have a picture they can send me?
    Thanks
    OldDawg

SGT. Rock, there are a slew of people on crowdfunding websites asking for money to fund their hikes on the AT, PCT, etc. and around the world. Guess working for the money to pay for your own hike doesn't appeal to those folks.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++