WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hiker Hostels in the Smokies?

Does anyone know of any hiker hostels in the Smokey Mtns -- specifically around Gatlinburg, for those not wanting to stay at a creepy hotel (or alternatively, for those who are poor, and can't afford a nicer hotel?) I looked at a list of hostels along the trail and didn't see any in the area.

it doesn't have to be Gatlinburg, it could be Townsend or maybe Franklin or anywhere nearby? I don't know the area...maybe a campsite would be in order...

Standing Bear Hostel, north end of the Smokies. A great hostel.

Grand Prix in Gatlinburg is hiker friendly and not too expensive.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

Thanks for the info! I got a camping spot at Smokemont! YAY. I'd rather sleep outside anyway.

SOooo when was the last time you were at the Grand Prix? I've heard its gone downhill in a major way....

on another topic...has anyone had trouble with vandalism recently at Newfound Gap?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeastu View Post
    Thanks for the info! I got a camping spot at Smokemont! YAY. I'd rather sleep outside anyway.

SOooo when was the last time you were at the Grand Prix? I've heard its gone downhill in a major way....
    I was at the Grand Prix last month, and it was decent for any regular motel and excellent for a hiker-friendly motel.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

It's never been never been over the top. It has everything a hiker needs,it's cheep it's friendly. What more do you want.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

El Sordo
    Images

is the Happy Hiker still in Gatlinburg? Didn't they have a hostel?
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

on another topic...has anyone had trouble with vandalism recently at Newfound Gap?

stop worrying to much and go
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Have left my vehicle there 3 times in the past couple of years. No problems. Twice I left my Yamaha TW200 overnight. No problem. I have been told that the parking lot is patrolled by the N.C. rangers. Good Luck!
    On average, 50% of my photos are better than the other half.

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    is the Happy Hiker still in Gatlinburg? Didn't they have a hostel?
    They are there, but no longer have the Hostel.
    The Grand Prix is just up the hill...and OK/ cheap.

6 cars were broken into about 1 month ago at Newfound Gap.

i was there this past spring. was it easy on the eyes? not really, there is a rundown pool in the middle of the plaza. Did i have a hot shower, clean sheeets, cable, and acess to a city of excess for 40 dollars? (well about 15, when shared three ways) most certainly!

Section by Section
    Images

Met a guy on the trail in Red River Gorge last weekend who had his car broken into at Newfound Gap the weekend before.
    Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

"Adventure is not outside man; it is within." ~ Georg Eliot

Images

Best results when section hiking. Drive a beater to the trailhead and leave unlocked. Wait a minute....is Cash for Clunkers over???

LOL....I had a crap car, but got rid of it b/c I was afraid it would break down on the way to the mtn. lol. We're taking my boyfriends truck...but I'd sure feel bad if anything happened to it b/c I wanted to go section hiking....I'll tell him to clean the thing out before we go. That way people can see that we don't have anything.

...Either that or maybe we should fill it with trash and dirty baby diapers? The smell alone....NM.

Images

As far as the vandalism thing is concerned, yes, I've had some VERY negative experiences at Newfound Gap as well as other parking areas. Once, on a three day trip to Mt. Guyot and back I came back to NFG parking area to find my Honda Accord sideways in the parking spot I left it. It had been hit broadside by another vehicle of some sort. It was hit hard enough to cave in both passenger side doors and physically move it ten feet. Other experiences have been break-ins and theft along with the outright grand theft auto deal. I have since bought a clunker to drive to the Smoky's where I do most of my hiking in hopes that even a total loss wont be missed. I know the park service is under-funded and under-staffed and they work very hard but this issue needs to be addressed asap.
    Birdog

Underestimation is the mother of all failure

only time i parked at newfound gap was when a winter weather advisory was setting in and i made it up there just before they closed the road.

No problems with vandalism, and a great hike.

I understand that some folks might prefer camping out (like at a Campground), but the simple fact is that in many cases, especially when one is hiking with a friend or friends, it sometimes costs the same OR LESS to get a motel room that one would to stay at a paid campground or hiker hostel.

Sleeping outside in a tent is fine, but I do plenty of that on the Trail. Every now and again, I like getting a real room. Advantages:

*You get a warm, dry, safe, heated (or air-conditioned) place to sleep.
    *The place is clean. Lots of campground bathrooms/showers are pretty rude.
    *TV/Cable of your own.
    *The chance to get you and all your stuff dry and clean, which is not always
    possible at a Campground.
    *Phone in the room.
    *Breakfast on-site is frequently included at a motel.
    *Motels often include internet access; pools; spas, and these facilities are
    usually better and cleaner than those found at campgrounds.
    *Proximity to restaurants, markets, outfitters, Post Offices, etc.
    *Privacy and quiet. Sooner or later you wanna get away from other hikers.

In short, while the perception is that staying at a motel is an expensive way to go, this isn't always the case. There are plenty of places on the Trail where hikers will spend 20 or more dollars for a tent site or bunkroom with privileges/a la carte services, but for the same ammount of money or slightly more, they can get their own place or share a room with a friend.

There are some very nice Campgrounds near the Trail, and a few wonderful hostels. But your own room is sometimes the best way to go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++