WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Split from Thru - Hiking with Dreadlocks - Dreads? Good or bad?

Not passing judgement here; I'm sincerely curious. What's the point of dreadlocks?

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Not passing judgement here; I'm sincerely curious. What's the point of dreadlocks?
    yeah really. to get attention? be different? ugly, dirty, moldy hair is not even close to being attractive

Images

Does it really matter how someone wears there hair? Who cares! doesnt make the hiker. they wear them because they like them just like funky beards.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    yeah really. to get attention? be different? ugly, dirty, moldy hair is not even close to being attractive
    Whats the point of wearing a long beard down to your stomach? To get attention? To be different?

Ya Why would you ever wear your hair in dreds? that's strange

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Ya Why would you ever wear your hair in dreds? that's strange
    Haha, interested to see yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Whats the point of wearing a long beard down to your stomach? To get attention? To be different?
    who wears a long beard down to their stomach? i don't know of anybody. beards are natural. dreads ain't

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    who wears a long beard down to their stomach? i don't know of anybody. beards are natural. dreads ain't
    You used to.

Dreads are natural. Do some research

WOW, what a wide range of topics we do discuss here on WB! This is a good one. How do I take care of ny dread locks while hiking? Certainly valid question though.

Pretty funny thread.

Yeah, dreads are "natural" all right.....at least they are if you have some actual connection to a place where they have a historical or cultural significance, i.e. India or Jamaica for example.

Are they "natural" for some freckled college kid from Fairfield, Connecticut?

Um, no, then they're merely a trendy fashion statement, and yeah, they do indeed tend to stink, look funny, and make the wearer look they performed their daily grooming with a piece of toast. The typical white, suburban, collegiate dread wearer isn't into Rastafarianism, mysticism, even spirituality. He isn't Jamaican, he knows nothing about the history of Rastafarianism, nor he is he an expert on Sadhuism or Indian religion. He wears dreads for the same reason that his contemporaries get multiple facial piercings or lousy tattoo work......they do it to look "different".

The reality, of course, is that they merely look silly.

Default An editorial moment.....

I'll amend the above comment.

White guys with dreads tend to look pretty ridiculous, sorta like Gary Oldman in "True Romance".

There are women that look pretty good in them, tho, so they'll get a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Pretty funny thread.

Yeah, dreads are "natural" all right.....at least they are if you have some actual connection to a place where they have a historical or cultural significance, i.e. India or Jamaica for example.

Um, no, then they're merely a trendy fashion statement, and yeah, they do indeed tend to stink, look funny, and make the wearer look they performed their daily grooming with a piece of toast. The typical white, suburban, collegiate dread wearer isn't into Rastafarianism, mysticism, even spirituality. He isn't Jamaican, he knows nothing about the history of Rastafarianism, nor he is he an expert on Sadhuism or Indian religion. He wears dreads for the same reason that his contemporaries get multiple facial piercings or lousy tattoo work......they do it to look "different".

they're angst ridden trustafarians

Pretty funny thread.

and you forgot to ammend that it is merely your opinion. About half of the population here has dreads and they dont look different. You live in a posh little college town so your observation is quite different. Not knockin you but I too lived in a ritzy mostly white town with a major university. Just because something looks different and may look bad to you but may look good to others. But like i said, its just your opinion

Pretty funny thread.

Um, no, then they're merely a trendy fashion statement, and yeah, they do indeed tend to stink, look funny, and make the wearer look they performed their daily grooming with a piece of toast.
    I have heard that same babble when it comes to your hygiene and style

Quote Originally Posted by berninbush View Post
    My old dog (golden retriever/ cocker spaniel mix) would grow impressive dreds naturally in the dense fur on her haunches and belly. . .
    I'd like to note that I, too, grow impressive dreads naturally on my haunches and belly.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Default Praise be....

and I would praise you for that except this is the wrong thread.
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by WalkinHome View Post
    and I would praise you for that except this is the wrong thread.
    I find it hard to believe that there are any threads in which it's inappropriate to praise me. Well, maybe the one about the girl getting hit by lightning.

As already mentioned, I doubt that mold will be a problem on the PCT. I would think that heat would be more of an issue.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Moldy Dreads sounds like a great name for a jam band.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

In regard to the OP, it's just hair. You grew it once, and you can grow it again. Get over yourself and cut it, it'll grow back eventually.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Some funny sh#t going down here.

Yeah, since you mentioned it ChacoTaco, I do notice quite a few whites with dreads in downtown Asheville. I know I'm sounding judgemental, but from my personal knowledge MANY of them in downtown Aville do inhale. No problema with that for me though. And, no, I don't assume dreads are just a black, Rustafarian, or party central symbol. I know people who don't party, who are as white as Casper, and aren't Rastas with dreads.

Lone Wolf, angst ridden trustafarians; I think that's the funniest thing I ever saw you post.

Best two dreadlock scenes: Gary Oldman in "True Romance" saying, "must be whiteboy day, is it whiteboy day?", then Christian Slater shoots him, and when Steven Segal slices the head off the dreadlocked crack dealing Jamaican as cop John Hatcher in "Marked For Death" right after the Jamaican says, "Hatcha ya kelled ma bruudha, now I'm gonna kill you."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++