WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Just in case someone hasn't seen this:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/40968/satu...hort-ras-trent

I can't imagine having dreadlocks on the trail. I start feeling hot and stuff once my hair grows out to about 2 inches. Once you get used to buzzing your head with a 3-4 guard, nothing ever feels right...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Pretty funny thread.

Yeah, dreads are "natural" all right.....at least they are if you have some actual connection to a place where they have a historical or cultural significance, i.e. India or Jamaica for example.

Are they "natural" for some freckled college kid from Fairfield, Connecticut?

Um, no, then they're merely a trendy fashion statement, and yeah, they do indeed tend to stink, look funny, and make the wearer look they performed their daily grooming with a piece of toast. The typical white, suburban, collegiate dread wearer isn't into Rastafarianism, mysticism, even spirituality. He isn't Jamaican, he knows nothing about the history of Rastafarianism, nor he is he an expert on Sadhuism or Indian religion. He wears dreads for the same reason that his contemporaries get multiple facial piercings or lousy tattoo work......they do it to look "different".

The reality, of course, is that they merely look silly.
    yeah Jack, i remember you telling me i looked like i combed my hair with a piece of toast when you saw my dreads. whatever!

as far as maintenance, believe it or not, i had to tend to my hair MORE when i had the dreads than i do without them. I've never been the typical girl that does alot with her hair, usually i just wash it, towel dry it then go on with my day. However with the dreads, i had to put stuff in them, on them and keep twisting and rolling them....FOR ME it was way more hair maintenance than i'm used to. But for alot of others, it may not be.

Wow, Chaco, so HALF the population of Asheville has dreads? I never knew this and I visit every year.

Geez, I must operate in different social circles when I pass thru, as this figure seems sorta high. I mean, Asheville is like 75,000 people.

That's an awful lot of bad haircuts.

But quick question. Assuming you're right, and there are indeed 38,000 people in those parts with dready smelly hair, how many of them actually hail from cultural backgrounds where dreadlocks were traditional or had a genuine cultural attachment......and how many are just little tattooed white hippie college dropouts who are being trendy and cool while panhandling on North Lex. or trying to score free coffee at Izzy's?

Cuz if you're telling us, Chaco, that metropolitan Asheville is really 50% Indian or Jamaican, well, I'm sorry, I'd have to dispute this.

I just don't think that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Wow, Chaco, so HALF the population of Asheville has dreads? I never knew this and I visit every year.

Geez, I must operate in different social circles when I pass thru, as this figure seems sorta high. I mean, Asheville is like 75,000 people.

That's an awful lot of bad haircuts.

But quick question. Assuming you're right, and there are indeed 38,000 people in those parts with dready smelly hair, how many of them actually hail from cultural backgrounds where dreadlocks were traditional or had a genuine cultural attachment......and how many are just little tattooed white hippie college dropouts who are being trendy and cool while panhandling on North Lex. or trying to score free coffee at Izzy's?

Cuz if you're telling us, Chaco, that metropolitan Asheville is really 50% Indian or Jamaican, well, I'm sorry, I'd have to dispute this.

I just don't think that's true.
    i spent the nite in asheville a week ago and only saw a few rasta wannabes. but of course i didn't go to the mellow mushroom

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i spent the nite in asheville a week ago and only saw a few rasta wannabes. but of course i didn't go to the mellow mushroom
    and what's up with the homeless druggies constantly hittin' on ya for cash? bad vibe that city has. if not for the food and music i wouldn't go there

Images

HEY! Easy on the Mello they got great pie ... We'll just have to get takeout

porkchops....

Yeah, Mellow Mushroom does have some great pizza - just don't tell that to my nieces and nephews. When my Veggie Supreme and Meat Lovers Supreme arrived piping hot at the table, and it did look and smell great, all my nieces and nephews proceeded to scrape every last topping, including the cheese, from the crust. As I threw $60 bucks on the table with tip I couldn't help but think, as I looked at the 10 inch high pile of toppings in the center of the table, that if I had just ordered some toast and a side of tomato sauce I might have saved enough to get me 1/2 way there to a new pair of trail runners.

Quote Originally Posted by MikenSalem View Post
    HEY! Easy on the Mello they got great pie ... We'll just have to get takeout
    and the nasty dreadies that work there

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Yeah, Mellow Mushroom does have some great pizza - just don't tell that to my nieces and nephews. When my Veggie Supreme and Meat Lovers Supreme arrived piping hot at the table, and it did look and smell great, all my nieces and nephews proceeded to scrape every last topping, including the cheese, from the crust. As I threw $60 bucks on the table with tip I couldn't help but think, as I looked at the 10 inch high pile of toppings in the center of the table, that if I had just ordered some toast and a side of tomato sauce I might have saved enough to get me 1/2 way there to a new pair of trail runners.
    Oh Ida killed them dead, Sacrilege! Their crust is what makes it the best. Them youngun's be eatin Tony's cardboard freeze dried puke pie's for life.

who wears a long beard down to their stomach? i don't know of anybody. beards are natural. dreads ain't
    Actually you are wrong on that one. Dreads ARE natural. If you stopped doing anything to your hair(washing,brushing,etc..) you would have dreads. The hair will Dread all on its own if you let it.

Images

Default YO! Baldy

HEY is LW bald or somthin? Whats up with all the hate'n? Where's the love gone? Goodness, so some nice young people look like they got a hair ball collection spring'in from their head. They need to work, just because they carry a little cat in their hat you gotta be all mean...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JoshStover View Post
    Actually you are wrong on that one. Dreads ARE natural. If you stopped doing anything to your hair(washing,brushing,etc..) you would have dreads. The hair will Dread all on its own if you let it.
    MY BS "O" meter just went off scale

Yea you can diss on Asheville all ya want. I love it here. Good people, good food, great beer, great music, great hiking. Screw ya'll I love my town!

And Jack, yes, its called an exaggeration. Just sayin alot of dreadies here and that was the point I was trying to make. Try to stir the pot somewhere else. I know not to get wrapped up in a pissin contest with you cuz you just dont quit and I get pissed off

MY BS "O" meter just went off scale
    And why is that? Do you have dreads? Have you ever had dreads? Do you even know ANYTHING about caring for or starting dreads? My guess is No to all of the above. I dont have dreads now because of my job(cant have long no matter what the style) but I did have them for many years and I have helped atleast 5 people start them and I know tons of people with them. Why do people have to be a Rasta to have dreads? So I guess of the people on here with shaved heads are Skin Heads from Germany, right? I dont think so. I just wish I knew why so many people have to be so damn judgemental. If you would stop judging people and just get to know them you would probably find out that they are wonderful people.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JoshStover View Post
    And why is that? Do you have dreads? Have you ever had dreads? Do you even know ANYTHING about caring for or starting dreads? My guess is No to all of the above. I dont have dreads now because of my job(cant have long no matter what the style) but I did have them for many years and I have helped atleast 5 people start them and I know tons of people with them. Why do people have to be a Rasta to have dreads? So I guess of the people on here with shaved heads are Skin Heads from Germany, right? I dont think so. I just wish I knew why so many people have to be so damn judgemental. If you would stop judging people and just get to know them you would probably find out that they are wonderful people.
    Rebuttal to the Stovermon
    Q1 cause it ain't true all you get is a fro bro, dreads need twistin Q2 nope, Q3 had to listen to the dredd Queen for years & I know way more than I ever wanted too, Congratulations on all your dread experience cant help who you hang with but keep tryin, somebody nice might befriend you someday! Why would anyone who wasn't a Rasta want dreads? People with shaved heads are unfortunates who get sunburned and poked in the head allot and wish they hadn't left their hat in the car, or else they had red hair and cut it all off. Who needs to be judgmental I got a BS-O-Meter! And dreads are as natural as the blue hair'd lady down the street. She bakes cookies CAN YOU?

Rebuttal to the Stovermon
    Q1 cause it ain't true all you get is a fro bro, dreads need twistin Q2 nope, Q3 had to listen to the dredd Queen for years & I know way more than I ever wanted too, Congratulations on all your dread experience cant help who you hang with but keep tryin, somebody nice might befriend you someday! Why would anyone who wasn't a Rasta want dreads? People with shaved heads are unfortunates who get sunburned and poked in the head allot and wish they hadn't left their hat in the car, or else they had red hair and cut it all off. Who needs to be judgmental I got a BS-O-Meter! And dreads are as natural as the blue hair'd lady down the street. She bakes cookies CAN YOU?
    You DO NOT have to twist your hair for it to dread. They wont be perfectly round and will look more like your hair is just matted but it is a dread none the less. I still dont understand why some people have to be so negative. Must just be a negative person and I feel sorry for people like that. You must not have anything good in your life and you feel like you have to put others down that are doing wonderfully. You also must be just a tad uneducated on this subject. I dont think your Dread Queen filled you in on all the details...

Images

Default We have a Superhero among us!!

Okay Stovermon; ANY OTHER DREADDIES OUT THERE WHO NEVER TWISTED??? umm no response. Hey wassat smell? oh I hear that bell again; ding ding ding - it's going off scale again! please quit messin with the meter dude. Bald people and red heads, they can't help it. Rasta's did it on their own. And wassup with all your hate'n? First I just voice my opinion that you are FULL OF IT, I just yelled it, thats what you call all caps in type. First you yelled at me then you tried to make me cry with your sob story about you selling out to the establishment and cutting off your dreads so you could work. Then you try and align yourself with the Rasta Nation with all your references to your "5" friends (who's parents hate you for twisting their hair) and the "Tons" of others you know (BTW for every ton you know w dreads I know a Brazilian tons who don't) Then you try and label all skin heads as Germans (they will be pi$$ed!) and you seem to wish to make yourself out to be wonderful. Lastly I'm negative and have no good in my life and wish to pick on you who are selling out to the man and doing so wonderful. Lastly again, you pick on the Dreadd Queen who had shoulder length dreadds (I guess here thats more than you had) and ate at my table (still does ) and throw off on somebody who hasn't ever typed one word to you, even a fellow dreddie. All this hype about dreadds and all that knowledge I suppose you must be the Trusted Urban Rasta Defender or TURD for short. I tip my hat to you, you are indeed a great one. Finally this is all great fun but; WHO CARES, YOU TWISTED YOURS! Oh yea! you know you did... burnt yo toast baby.. time to dance

Ok. you got me. Your to cool for me to converse with.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

So I guess of the people on here with shaved heads are Skin Heads from Germany, right?

I'm just a bald dago who thinks hiking in the desert with long hair can be problematic. (I'm a bit too olive skinned to be a skin head. My current girlfriend may not like that either (being from an Nigerian family and all. )
    Last edited by Mags; 08-28-2009 at 02:05.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++