WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    If there is mold in your dreds you could get the trail name "moldylocks."
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Can dreds be used as an emergency fire starter?? multi purpose

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    Some people sure do put up with a lot of difficulty in their lives to make a fashion statement.
    Pay attention, its not a fashion statement

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Pay attention, its not a fashion statement
    Is there a functional necessity to the dreadlocks?

No, there is not. Actually, the opposite (they are a functional burden).

Hence, the usage is borne from a statement of fashion.

Main Entry: 1fash·ion
    Pronunciation: \ˈfa-shən\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English facioun, fasoun shape, manner, from Anglo-French façun, fauschoun, from Latin faction-, factio act of making, faction, from facere to make — more at do
    Date: 14th century
    1 a : the make or form of something b archaic : kind, sort
    2 a : a distinctive or peculiar and often habitual manner or way b : mode of action or operation
    3 a : a prevailing custom, usage, or style b (1) : the prevailing style (as in dress) during a particular time (2) : a garment in such a style c : social standing or prominence especially as signalized by dress or conduct

It's just personal style. If it makes you happy screw what everyone else has to say, it's your own hair. We all stink after a day or two anyway.

I think I did see a picture of Jack once where it did look like he had dreads. I'll see if I can find it...
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Let's find some groups with dreds and burn their records...just like Ma and Pa did!

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

"Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Some of the old grumps on this board are afraid of anything new or different. They think if they can't or don't understand something, its automatically wrong and they must degrade it in any way possible.

Kind of sad if you ask me.
    Not all those who wander are lost.

my hair dreaded itself up durin my thru hike its just what hair does. when u dont comb it.

Images

Leaving on 9/09 out of neels gap>: Happy hiking.........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    it'll grow back eventually.
    ...or not.....
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JF2CBR View Post
    Some of the old grumps on this board are afraid of anything new or different. They think if they can't or don't understand something, its automatically wrong and they must degrade it in any way possible.

Kind of sad if you ask me.

What planet have you been on? Dreds are not new or different. Dreds are understood. The good news is that you may grow out of this phase.

Dreads always look cool on the six o'clock news.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Not passing judgement here; I'm sincerely curious. What's the point of dreadlocks?
    Well, what's the point of breast implants? Or grecian formula for men? Or toupees? There's a million things you could ask that question about.

Quote Originally Posted by d.o.c View Post
    my hair dreaded itself up durin my thru hike its just what hair does. when u dont comb it.
    This is basically the way it is. Back in '76-'77 I let my hair mat and dread because I thought of the Hindu yogis who did the same thing and I wanted to become a wannabe sadhu. Most of it clumped up in the back and eventually I cut it out with some tin snips as it was a very dense growth of hair. d.o.c. is right, hair will mat and dread with otherwise no care, and it just may not dread in those long locks you usually see.

I had an old girlfriend who had a full head of dreads and she looked sharp but they took forever to dry. And of course they were heavy. I'm surprised the Ultralight fanatics haven't chimed in on this one, "The taboo of Excessive Grams when backpacking with a full head of dreadlocks."

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    It's just personal style. If it makes you happy screw what everyone else has to say, it's your own hair. We all stink after a day or two anyway.

I think I did see a picture of Jack once where it did look like he had dreads. I'll see if I can find it...
    retired hikers are bored and need to comment on every little change in personal style i guess. oi.

Images

How come people would cut the matted up mess off their dog. They'd say "man thats a nasty mess" and start wackin' but leave it on themselves and say Man I look cool
    All you nasty people go clean yourself up ya. Shameful thats all it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MikenSalem View Post
    How come people would cut the matted up mess off their dog. They'd say "man thats a nasty mess" and start wackin' but leave it on themselves and say Man I look cool
    Why indeed. I think it is for the same reason we see many people covered in tattoos and/or piercings, which is a seeming attempt to connect with a more primitive state of human existence, often referred to as the tribal movement.

Such individuals, for whatever reason, tend to selectively eschew certain parts of modern society (personal grooming, responsibility), while selectively retaining others (dependence upon technology, modern transportation) as it suits their needs. The fact that this is largely limited to individuals in urban settings tends to bear this observation out.

I think it might be a form of dissociation in the personality of those who are torn between their ties to the urban landscape and a desire for a more rural setting.

That, or just kids with too much time on their hands.

Images

Indeed. I agree there is no alignment of said persons politically nor support thereof toward the alleged subsocietal group they claim to enamor, but only a superficial adaptation of outward style to justify a desire to act in a hedonist manner of self indulgence and illicit behavior.
    I do not concur that they wish to disassociate themselves with urbana but rather offer this; They only wish to offer torment and pain toward their governance's and as option two; A reason to render themselves useless to advancement in society to further their somnastic intents.

Somebody clean them up so they can get a real job! oops that was mean sorry

Images

I don't like dreads, but it's not because I fear something new and different. I love Brazilian wax jobs. That's one place I don't want to be surprised by dreads.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Images

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    What planet have you been on? Dreds are not new or different. Dreds are understood. The good news is that you may grow out of this phase.
    like bell bottom pants and big sideburns
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

HYOH.
    Some people have hair that naturally turns to dreadlocks no matter how much you wash it. It is all in the hair type, If you don't comb it regularly it becomes dreads, who cares.

If I didn't cut my hair as short as I do, I'd have dreads myself, but I find dreads uncomfortable, others find them comfortable.

Dreads hold onto water for some people and if washed regularly never seem to dry fully and can get mildew in humid environments. I remember someone saying baby powder was good for drying dreads.

Some hair repels water and dries very quickly in dreads.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++