WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Actually, I think that in many of the cases where someone writes someone privately to complain about some of their posts it is because they may want to provide the guy with some insight or correction, but they don't necessarily want to publicly embarrass the guy or point out his mistakes publicly, especially when they are particularly foolish ones. In other words, folks sometimes tell someone something privately because they don't really feel like making the guy look like an ass in public.

If the recipient of these letters doesn't want to acknowledge them, that's his business. And if he wants to publish them for all to see, well I guess he could do that, too, tho in so doing, he might make himself look pretty stupid.

But at the end of the day, people will do what they will.

that was very insightful. thank you jack.

Actually, I betcha more unsolicited PMs are nasty rather than friendly. I have received my share of downright nasty PMs from people with no sense of humor. I resorted to turning off PMs to all but my contacts and friends. Not that I can't take a nasty remark, I just prefer they post them where all can read and someone else can clean them up if they care to.

i never get any nasty pm's. i wonder why?

That's pretty funny, TM. I also get my share of comments from downright nasty humorless people.

Except in my case, the comments are usually made on the public Forums!

My private correspondence is usually pretty good, and actually, most of it is with Moderators, meaning it is prompt, civil, and usually right on the mark.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Paul Magnanti does tend to be private at times.

Sorry...wrong PM..carry on.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

This site consistently reminds me of what a dumb a$$ I am. I thought PM ment private message and that would mean the message was private. I learn something everytime I come here. Still not sure what private means, but it doesn't seem to mean what I thought it did.

Images

Default Visitor messaging

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    There are at least two basic approaches to PMs...
    In tweaking my options today, I was reminded of an alternative which might appeal to some. The visitor messaging system makes possible what amounts to public messages without posting them to threads. There's an option for limiting them to only contacts and moderators, but notification may be lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I don’t know what the original intent of the PM function was, but to me it’s nothing more than another form of email. And much of what I receive in this email account is SPAM from other WB’ers.

Every time I say something that pisses someone off they feel as though they need to "set me straight". I’m sick of it and I don’t see one problem in publicly posting that SPAM.

My PM box has a function, don’t abuse it because you’re a little too thin-skinned.
    i agree. totally

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    This site consistently reminds me of what a dumb a$$ I am. I thought PM ment private message and that would mean the message was private. I learn something everytime I come here. Still not sure what private means, but it doesn't seem to mean what I thought it did.
    You and me both. When I occasionally use it, it serves as a way to communicate with one person without the whole cyberworld needing to read, like if asking someone about a section of trail near their house or something that would only pertain to them.

I always thought it was a courteous way to get the info you needed without bothering everyone else, but apparently nothing is worth saying anymore unless it's appropriate for the whole village.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    You and me both. When I occasionally use it, it serves as a way to communicate with one person without the whole cyberworld needing to read, like if asking someone about a section of trail near their house or something that would only pertain to them.

I always thought it was a courteous way to get the info you needed without bothering everyone else, but apparently nothing is worth saying anymore unless it's appropriate for the whole village.
    which would be lovely if people would use it for that reason. if someone sends a nasty msg via pm and abuses it's original intent, then they deserve to get called out on it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Actually, I betcha more unsolicited PMs are nasty rather than friendly.

I don't get many PM's, but the ones I get are generally friendly. Only one time have I had some unfriendly PM's, all from one person who was upset about being on moderated status. Most of the PM's I get are like those A-Train mentions.

What I get in PM form, I respect as being private.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    There are some things better communicated privately, other things better not communicated at all.

The number of users has grown and contact lists may become increasingly popular.

Actually, the quickest and most effective way to make the website more civil would be requiring people to post all of their comments, both public and private, under their real names.

Of course we'd lose 95% of our regulars that way, but so be it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Actually, the quickest and most effective way to make the website more civil would be requiring people to post all of their comments, both public and private, under their real names.

Naw, we just wouldn't know who 95% of the posters suddenly become. I mean, who in the world is Shawn Basil? Or Kaiser Sose?
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Journal Entries
    Images

Uhhh You wish - what a mistake that would be Jack.

Mark
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I agree, "Jack".
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    which would be lovely if people would use it for that reason. if someone sends a nasty msg via pm and abuses it's original intent, then they deserve to get called out on it.
    i agree wif kanga!!

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmdRauWVbwg

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Personal conversations and - some - phone calls are private.

What happens to handwritten messages after you mail them or electronic communications after you hit "Send" is completely out of your control. It doesn't matter if it's called a Private Message or an e-mail or even a Top Secret Super Duper Private Message. There should be no expectation of privacy and you should not be surprised to see those words again in other communications, on the internet or perhaps in court.

That's what the Legal Department at work continuously reminds us minions.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++