WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Many weeks ago, we scheduled a Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust all day meeting with our advisory committee for Sept. 18. I'll try to stop by Sunday morning just to say hi.

I think these kinds of gatherings are important to the future of the trail. And someday I may even be less busy. I retired 13 years ago. But somehow, I haven't stopped working. I'm just doing more for no money.

I hadn't thought about it in 1991. But now it strikes me as a great idea. Don't retire from work. Just retire from earning money, and therefore retire from doing frivolous things. That way one has the freedom, at last, to do really important things.

Weary

AT 2008 was awesome! Iron Mnt Gap to Watauga Lake! fatmatt's Avatar
    Images

I so wish I could be there, to meet more people like myself. However a weekend trip to Maine from here would just be too far. Will try to make an appearance with my buddy "Energizer" at Trail Days next year though, just prior to our (hopfully) Rock Gap - Damascus Section hike! Hope to see some pictures though!
    Remember: You don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than the slowest person running from the bear. :D

Images

Question River trip

[QUOTE=attroll I have done this trip two times in my kayak and we were going to do it this weekend but it is suppose to rain tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Hi Troll,

What are the usual conditions like from The Forks to Caratunk? Can a couple of recreational flat water kayakers with 13 foot Old Town Loons do this section? Do we need spray skirts? Are there areas to rest a little on the way down the river? Could you share any info on this?

Journal Entries
    Images

[QUOTE=WALKIN' WALLY]
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll I have done this trip two times in my kayak and we were going to do it this weekend but it is suppose to rain tomorrow.[/QUOTE
    Hi Troll,

What are the usual conditions like from The Forks to Caratunk? Can a couple of recreational flat water kayakers with 13 foot Old Town Loons do this section? Do we need spray skirts? Are there areas to rest a little on the way down the river? Could you share any info on this?
    WALKIN' WALLY

Yes it is not problem for a 13 foot Loon. I have done it with my Loon 128 (12' 8") twice already. My wife has a Old Town also that is 129 (12' 9") and she has done it twice also and that was with the river right at the dam was released. It is no sweat at all. No whitewater to worry about. Just fast moving water in spots and some swells. In fact Steve says a canoe could do it. He has offered to let us use a couple of his canoes.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Geezer

AT TROLL,

I'd like to combine a section hike with the Whiteblaze get together, and do some miles from Rte 4 north, either to Caratunk or ideally, Monson.

I'd start hiking, probably Monday, to arrive at Caratunk Friday night. If I go on to Monson, I'd leave Caratunk Sunday morning.

Can you recommend a place where I could leave my truck and get a shuttle from Monson or Caratunk back to Rte 4?

Thanks,
    Frosty

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    AT TROLL,

I'd like to combine a section hike with the Whiteblaze get together, and do some miles from Rte 4 north, either to Caratunk or ideally, Monson.

I'd start hiking, probably Monday, to arrive at Caratunk Friday night. If I go on to Monson, I'd leave Caratunk Sunday morning.

Can you recommend a place where I could leave my truck and get a shuttle from Monson or Caratunk back to Rte 4?

Thanks,
    There is a parking lot on route 4 at the AT crossing. That you can leave your car at. I don't know of anyone that will shuttle you back to route 4 after that from Caratunk or Monson. I am sure Shaw's will do it but I don't know how much they will charge you. You would have to call them. You might want to get in touch with some of the other hostel owners in the Caratunk and Monson area. I would offer to do it but I will probably be a pretty busy camper helping with clean up Sunday and then who knows what else. That would be a long drive for me to take you back to route 4 and then head home. If everything went well I could do it but I can not commit to something like that right now because I don't know how things will go the that Sunday.
    AT Troll (2010)

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    There is a parking lot on route 4 at the AT crossing. That you can leave your car at. I don't know of anyone that will shuttle you back to route 4 after that from Caratunk or Monson. I am sure Shaw's will do it but I don't know how much they will charge you. You would have to call them. You might want to get in touch with some of the other hostel owners in the Caratunk and Monson area. I would offer to do it but I will probably be a pretty busy camper helping with clean up Sunday and then who knows what else. That would be a long drive for me to take you back to route 4 and then head home. If everything went well I could do it but I can not commit to something like that right now because I don't know how things will go the that Sunday.
    You'll be even busier than you imagine. I helped put on a road race once, and the amount of stuff that comes up at the last minute is incredible. I actually hadn't thought of leaving my truck at Rte 4 (I had in mind having it where I will end up), but if I leave it at Rte 4, I can just as easily go back after I get from where I stop hiking! The more I think about it, the better I like going all the way to Monson, but parking at Rte 4 gives me a bit of flexibility.
    Frosty

Journal Entries
    Images

I wish I could help you out. But I can not promise anything.

As for me being busy. I hope I am a little busy. I have not had to many users here at WhiteBlaze comiit to coming. I think only about 10 said they are coming so far if that. But I may get some thru-hikers passing through that day. I put flyers up at the Hostels in Andover Maine a couple weeks ago and I also mailed some ot Shaw's and the Pie Lady's in Monson. I just hope this does not turn into a flop. Steve will also tell the thru-hikers as he ferry's them accross the Kennebec that day. Maybe we can use two was radio's and Steve will call us when he gets a load of thru-hikers and we can take turns going down to get them. It is only a mile down the road.
    AT Troll (2010)

American Idiot
    Images

Plan on it being a small shindig then. Since the last minute is the most volatile, just go with what you have and if the size jumps up at the last minute, cross that bridge when you get there. Just try not to think of it in a negative light, letting folks who aren't even there bring you down. Sort of on a parallel note, I was pretty active in this local climbing club and would put stories of my wacky climbing tales in the club newsletter. I think there was more interest in the reading of stories than actually participating in club climbs. We didn't have any scheduled so I tried many-a-time to organize and most of the trips didn't happen due to nobody being interested. But for those few times where one, two or a few showed up, those produced some happy and memorable experiences which far outweighed any feelings over the apathy of club members. I'm still a wacky guy... So enjoy the few that do show up and if you're still feeling blue, drink some chilled firewater
    How many more of our soldiers must die in Iraq?

Default i agree

I really don't care if 3 - 6 10- 100 people show up. I will have a good time. Most of the responses on here about not coming are perfectly logical. Too far away. Hey, it's a weekend outside (unless you have a wimpy cabin ;-) ), a chance to interact with people with like interests, do some trail magic, and put some faces to names.

Rock on!!!!!!!!!!!!

pcm
    "If I get started in the right direction, I just might get to where I want to go." -- Tab Benoit

Journal Entries
    Images

Don't worry I am not letting it get me down. I did not mean to make my last post sound thast way. I will have a good time regaurdless if only 10 people show up. Like PCM25 said they people that are not coming have logical reason. I would not drive over 300 miles to attend a get together for jsut the weekend. So I don't expect people to drive that far.

What I was hoping some of the local Mainers would come if anyone. But that does not matter. If we only get 10 people then those 10 people will not have to worry about not having anything to eat. I will have a lot of burgers. LOL. PCM25 will be there and I know him from hiking with him before. He is good people. So I know I have at least one friend coming. LOL. I am looking forward to putting face to some names like Walkin' Wally, One Leg. I have meet TJ and Baltimore Jack. I don't know if they ever remember meeting me but I met them before.

No matter what we will have a good time. Even if we sit around the fire telling stories and having a couple drinks or what ever we do.
    AT Troll (2010)

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    There is a parking lot on route 4 at the AT crossing. That you can leave your car at. I don't know of anyone that will shuttle you back to route 4 after that from Caratunk or Monson. I am sure Shaw's will do it but I don't know how much they will charge you.
    Thanks. Shaw's does shuttles very reasonably for $1.25 a mile one-way mileage. I made arrangements to get shuttled to Rte 4 and will be at Caratunk Friday afternoon, or if late, on the Saturday morning canoe ferry. Looking forward to meeting you in person.
    Frosty

NE AT 733 of 733 miles & Long Trail End-to-End Tramper Al's Avatar
    Images

Default Gathering in Caratunk

ATT is to be commended of course for trying to put this together, big or small.

On my NE section hike, I am still about 20 miles shy of Caratunk, but I was up there this weekend on a rafting trip down the Kennebec. It is a very nice area, with lots to do, both on and off the trail. I wish I could make it, as I might have been able to beg a ride back to East Flagstaff Road and hike my next section!
    - Tramper Al

Default Get together

I can't find the poll, so am using this medium to express my regrets that I will not be able to attend. I hope it is a great experience for all who can get there.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Thanks. Shaw's does shuttles very reasonably for $1.25 a mile one-way mileage. I made arrangements to get shuttled to Rte 4 and will be at Caratunk Friday afternoon, or if late, on the Saturday morning canoe ferry. Looking forward to meeting you in person.
    I will not be getting there untill Saturday morning unless I can get out of work early Friday night and in that case I might get up there around midnight.

I assume that you will be coming accross on the Ferry Friday or Saturday morning? I look forward to meeting you.
    AT Troll (2010)

Images

Thumbs up WB Gathering

I am looking forward to going to the gathering.
    If there are a few people there it will be easier to remember names with faces and if there are a lot of people there the more the merrier.
    Anything to do with the Maine woods or the AT is fine with me,
    see you all there.
    GR8 N WDS !!

Troll---

As far as the numbers go, I'd RATHER have twenty people than a hundred and twenty! We had close to a hundred at our hiker weekend in Port Clinton and it got a little crazy....when the hikers realized there were still forty people in the breakfast line and we were down to our last pound of bacon, it got a little cutthroat for awhile! All things considered, I'd rather have a smaller group than an enormous one.

And don't forget, there'll be some Class of 2004 people as well. Three great hikers left my house this afternoon for the Trail VERY excited about the fact that they're on track to be somewhere around Caratunk that weekend.

I think it'll be a fun weekend no matter how many people show up and I'm looking forward to it very much.

Journal Entries
    Images

Jack

You have a good point.

I just got a phone call from Steve (The Ferryman) just now. Everything is still a go. He has offered to let us use at least 3 of his canoes and he can get a fourth is he needs to. For a scenic ride down the KennebecRiver. We will put in at The Forks at noon Sunday if we get enough people interested. Which is just up the road from Caratunk. Then we will paddle down to Steve's place on the river. This is only a 6 mile paddle. We will have a signup sheet at the get together for this.
    AT Troll (2010)

Images

Over the last couple of days I hiked the Bemis Range northbound and word is out on the trail grapevine about the get-together at the forks. So maybe we will see some thru-hilers there.

Images

Thumbs up Rain Man MAY be there.

Rick,

My daughter Grass is scheduled to summit Katahdin on the 17th. There is a chance that I will be driving up there to do the summit with her and bring her home.

IF both of those things work out, then we'll try to be at your gathering on the 18th or 19th or both.

Keep your fingers crossed, but don't hold your breath. LOL

Rain Man

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++