WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default White Mountains temps in late Sept

Am planning a one-week hike in the Whites in late September. Haven't been too successful finding expected temps in the area. If I need to buy some warmer gear, I need to do it now. Does anyone have experiences for temp ranges in that area?

Images

Here are a couple pages with temerature data for the A.T.:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...hian_Trail.htm

The ATC page's data for Pinkham Notch would be a good average to expect, the Mount Washington data would be what you should be prepared for. September weather can be wonderful because the humidity and high temperatures are gone but by late in the month the odds of winter-like conditions are greater off course. The risk of northeaster storms is also something to prepare for. I would be prepared to sleep through the upper freezing temperature range and hike in windy, rainy and cold temperatures. A good sleeping bag, good rain gear and some insulating layers including hat and gloves would be tops on my gear list. When the weather is good in September, and its reasonable to hope it will be, WMNF hiking is at its best. Especially with foliage near its typical peak in early October.

Images

I forgot the Mt. Washington OBS weather page:

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by celt View Post
    Here are a couple pages with temerature data for the A.T.:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...hian_Trail.htm

The ATC page's data for Pinkham Notch would be a good average to expect, the Mount Washington data would be what you should be prepared for. September weather can be wonderful because the humidity and high temperatures are gone but by late in the month the odds of winter-like conditions are greater off course. The risk of northeaster storms is also something to prepare for. I would be prepared to sleep through the upper freezing temperature range and hike in windy, rainy and cold temperatures. A good sleeping bag, good rain gear and some insulating layers including hat and gloves would be tops on my gear list. When the weather is good in September, and its reasonable to hope it will be, WMNF hiking is at its best. Especially with foliage near its typical peak in early October.
    Good info here, BUT, that ATC link looks like average high and low temperatures for each month. A cold winter night at Pinkham Notch is quite a bit colder than the numbers in their table. You need to be prepared for the likely coldest low temperature not the average low. Go by the link in Celt's next post to the Mt. Washington Observatory.

Thanks, folks. The links will certainly help.

++ New Posts ++