WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Where are the SOBO/MEGA folks now?

Is there a MEGA "bubble"? Anyone know where they may be now?

Hiking south. . .

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Hiking south. . .
    . . . oh . . .

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

I passed a bunch on my last section. I'd say a lot of them are in the CT-NJ range right now.

Quote Originally Posted by buff_jeff View Post
    I passed a bunch on my last section. I'd say a lot of them are in the CT-NJ range right now.
    That's what I was afraid of. Bummer. Guess I will gave to use a different name when I head out soon.

I'm a Sobo this year and I was the 11th to sign in at Harpers on the 28th. There were 8 of us to sign in on that day. I guess that would be the SOBO bubble. My buddy and I are taking 2 zeros in D.C. before we continue hiking. (less than 1000 to do now)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Is there a MEGA "bubble"? Anyone know where they may be now?
    I am in Vernon, NJ. Doing 20's and moving quickly.

I estimate that there are no more than two to three dozen ahead of me. I was about #85 when I started, but there has been a lot of attrition.

I don't know how many are behind me, but I started June 14 and I believe that July 1 is a bigger SOBO start date than mid-June.

My journal is on postholer.com for anyone who is interested in reading such things and my trail name is Wanderlust.

Images

On Saturday, August 29th I met a sobo thru hiker with his dog at Caledonia. Said he started like June 2nd or 3rd.
    Tracy "Noah" Ruth

For a rough comparison to last year (and I suspect most years, as it seems reasonable to think that in 1160-odd miles pace variations will mostly wash out), I was right around the twenty-hiker mark last year on September 2 (either #19 or #21, can't remember which) when two of us passed through, with another couple two days or so behind us.

Images

We host 1 or 2 southbounders every night from about July 15th through the first week of September here in Manchester Center, VT.

it's all about the food... Safari's Avatar

I'm near Bear Mt, NY at the moment, there is a loose mob of us, maybe 10 or 15 spread out over 100 miles, a few more actual small groups of young guys meandering behind (if they are still on the trail!)... ah, the pleasures of Southbounding; empty shelters, not having to justify why you aren't running with the pack to Katahdin, abundant wildlife now the trail is quieter... it all feels dead flat after Maine & NH!
    'Have fun & stay cool.' - Ranulph Fiennes

There are 9 of us right around Great Barrington and a few are a couple of days ahead of us.
    -Someday & Hungry Creepster

Images

Any southbounders met/seen two guys named Chris and Kirtley? They're both about mid twenties. Ones from Memphis, the other Mississippi. They were hiking together last time I talked to them. I hiked with them through the 100 mile wilderness. Was just wondering if they were still on the trail or how they were doing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SonrisaJo View Post
    There are 9 of us right around Great Barrington and a few are a couple of days ahead of us.
    -Someday & Hungry Creepster
    Hey Someday,

Glad to see you're in Mass. Enjoyed your visit to Green Mountain House.

2010 complete

I hiked in 4 different states July 23-Aug 18 and jumped around nh, me, ma, nh,vt,ma. Anyway, during that time I ran into sobos frequently whether I was at the Kennebec or Tyringham, MA

Thru' hiker one weekend at a time... vipahman's Avatar
    Images

Saw Creepster, Genius, Peeps in CT.
    -Avi
    AT completed: NJ6-1, NY13-2, CT5-2

Been a few SOBO's still heading thru Hanover recently, and quite a few people that have flipped and are now heading South, in fact we have one at the house tonight (Yes, Virginia, we do take in Southbounders!).

And plenty of folks still streaming North, tho it should get very quiet here in about a week or so. It takes most folks 34-39 days to finish from Hanover, so time is starting to get a bit tight for those wanting to finish by 15 October.

I was going SOBO in NY today - just out for a couple of days - and some lady asked if we were thru-hikers. I turned to my brother and said, 'wow, do we stink that bad already?'

We have our 1st SOBO this Friday-he left Maine in May- Strider-Happy Hiker Hollow-A full service hiker home in Atkins Va.

Images

I signed in today in Harpers Ferry. I am number 50. Eleven who signed in ahead of me had start dates later than me. So, I think there are still another 50 or more behind me. Just a guess.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++