WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Thoughts on these wool baselayers

http://www.minus33.com/merino-wool-baselayer-index.html

Never heard of this comapny but theyre a little cheaper than smartwool

Never heard of them either. Probably made in the same factory as Smartwool stuff. That hoody looks really nice.

The Smartwools are made up in Cleveland TN...these appear to be made up in New Hampshire...

Images

They are certainly worth a try. I agree the hoody looks toasty.

I just noticed the price is pretty attractive too
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Hmmm. Please port a review if you order.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

I've heard of them. I bought a Minus 33 long sleeved merino wool 1/2 zip baselayer piece at The Frugal Backpacker/Diamond Brand Outfitters in Asheville. The Frugal Backpacker, next door to Diamond Brand Outfitters, in Asheville is operated by the same people. The Frugal Backpacker basically operates as an outlet for the main store next door. They offer some truely steep discounts on quality name brand gear that has been discontinued, in limited supply, closed out, are protype demos or made by lesser known gear manufacturers. I would advise you stop in and check them out. Bring some form of payment because if you are a gear nut like me I'm sure you will find something there to your liking at a price you will not want to pass up.

The Minus 33 merino wool top I purchased is super soft next to the skin, is of quality consrtuction, fits me great, was not an irregular, fits nicely into a layering system, and was less than half the price of a comprable wt. Smartwool top. And, I say that considering that I have several merino wool tops/baselayers of various wts made by Icebreaker and Smartwool that I love to wear almost all the time.

hoody looks nice, heavy variety is a tad expensive $110

Images

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman1208 View Post
    hoody looks nice, heavy variety is a tad expensive $110
    i gotta disagree.

Smartwool's closest thing to the hoody is a $150 jacket Icebreaker is offering a 320 wt shirt for $130
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynkayak View Post
    Hmmm. Please port a review if you order.
    This is an excellent company and their products are of excellent quality. I currently have one of the short sleeve shirts and the 230 weight long sleeve crew. They were reasonably priced, warm, and durable. I used to wear synthetic baselayers, but I've pretty much been won over by these.

It is a New Hampshire company; the fabric is made by at a mill in NH owned by LW Packard, which also makes fabric for LL Bean.

We carry these at the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry, although right now we're awaiting our winter order and only have last year's leftovers around.

When the new order arrives I'm going to pick up some bottoms and a zip-top. Good stuff.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Merino wool clothing isn't necessarily the cheapest considering everyone's budget, but, than again, it's not exactly recycled plastic milk jugs made into polyester either. I have worn merino wool clothing, or more specifiaclly tops, and sometimes bottom base layers, in various wts. on 120 * scorching desert hikes and while summitting wet windy cold 14 ers. IMO, nothing is more comfortable and versatile in the widest range of hiking conditions, when used appropriately, than a quality made merino wool top. IMO, Minus 33 enables one on a limited budget to acquire a quality made merino wool top piece to add to their hiking gear arsenal. I cherish all my merino wool tops no matter what I paid for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Merino wool clothing isn't necessarily the cheapest considering everyone's budget, but, than again, it's not exactly recycled plastic milk jugs made into polyester either. I have worn merino wool clothing, or more specifiaclly tops, and sometimes bottom base layers, in various wts. on 120 * scorching desert hikes and while summitting wet windy cold 14 ers. IMO, nothing is more comfortable and versatile in the widest range of hiking conditions, when used appropriately, than a quality made merino wool top. IMO, Minus 33 enables one on a limited budget to acquire a quality made merino wool top piece to add to their hiking gear arsenal. I cherish all my merino wool tops no matter what I paid for them.
    Well said!
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Yes, I can't say enough about merino wool, it rocks!!
    My wife is allergic and gets a rash so she has to wear icky synthetic underwear. She does wear silk as the base layer and that seems to work.
    Haven't tried that bamboo stuff yet.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

oh my goodness! its spelled hoodie
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I use the merino mid-weight zip top and the bottoms for all my winter activities (Amazon gift card made the price nice!).

I have been very happy with them for my Nordic backcountry skiing (heavy aerobic vs. down hill).

For winter use, I love wool.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Got some Minus33 boxer briefs (Mountain Crossings); not cheap but worth the cost.

++ New Posts ++