WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

"Must be getting early, Clocks are Running Late" The Doctor's Avatar

Default Where to get closed cell foam?????

I need to get some for my hammock and i'm not sure where to find it. Does it go by other names? Light and cheap is best for me. I need 7'X2.5-3'. Any ideas?
    "When the going gets tough, the tough take a hike"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I need to get some for my hammock and i'm not sure where to find it. Does it go by other names? Light and cheap is best for me. I need 7'X2.5-3'. Any ideas?
    Joann's Fabrics sells foam (but it may all be open-cell, I just don't know). I've seen huge rolls and blocks of it there.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Here's one place which offers ccf in wide sizes-
    http://shop.bivysack.com/product.sc?productId=8
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Joann's Fabrics sells foam (but it may all be open-cell, I just don't know). I've seen huge rolls and blocks of it there.

RainMan

yep it's open,

Blue at Walmart
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

The blue foam pads at Wal-Mart, REI, K-Mart etc are all closed cell.

geek

Ed Speers sells wide closed cell pads

I Gotta Get out of Here!! Foyt20's Avatar
    Images

I would agree with the walmart blue foam pad suggestion.

Images

http://www.foamorder.com/closedcell.html

The width you want makes it pricey. Also google "closed cell foam& boat cushion."

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I believe it can be bought by mail order through Campmor.

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

I used to use a pad of ethafoam for backpacking. It was super tough but bulky. I don't know how it would do in a hammock but now I'll have to find out.
    http://www.sealedair.com/products/pr.../ethafoam.html

I tried ccf pads in my hammock a few years back. They made my back sweat too much, more so that when used on the ground because the hammock causes them to wrap around your body, capturing more moisture. They also tend to slide around inside the hammock and end up next to you rather than under you. That's why so many folks use underquilts.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Try an Army surplus store. There was one in Marietta that had some white instead of green for like $2 each. But you had to ask for them. I've had pretty good luck with mine in a Hennessy hammock, they do tend to conform and you may sweat. I open my sleeping bag and use it like a quilt and don't sleep on the bag, just cover up with it.

Images

The walmart pads will likely be too thick and bulky - especially if you need to glue two together for the 2.5'-3' width. Oware sells the 3/16" thick which, while costlier, works better in a hammock as it is more pliable.

I still use a single walmart blue pad with the corns cut off and nicely rounded, as it fits better.

I tried bulk Reflectix as well as a windshield visor that was sized for an RV (Auto section in Walmart). I found both to be too slippery. I thought about sanding both sides, but haven't gone that route yet.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Ed Speer at Speer hammocks sells long and wide foam...

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Images

I bought a "landau" closed cell foam pad on Ebay. It is used for padding auto roofs, but makes a great hammock pad and can be cut to size easily. I think mine was 40 inches x 72 inches, plenty wide and long enough for a hammock. The walmart pads are too small in my opinion.

++ New Posts ++