WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Default Anyone use Katahdin Air Service?

Any comments on using them for a "shuttle" to the Maine lakes region vs. car shuttle?
    Last edited by attroll; 09-08-2009 at 10:34.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

Default Yes

Someone recently posted on their plans to use it. I'll see if I can find it. You may wish to PM the member.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52773

Default Great service

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    Any comments on using them for a "shuttle" to the Maine lakes region vs. car shuttle?
    I used them last week. They picked me up at White House Landing and flew me to Bangor for $280 ($140 per person). I am not on a tight budget so it was well worth the cost.

My primary motivation for calling the plane was just to get the ride. White House Landing had a brochure. When my partner and I saw how inexpensive it was, we decided to enjoy the flight. Both of us were pilots in Vietnam and my partner had flown a seaplane in Alaska. We decided to see Maine from the air.

The person who took our reservation and the pilot were both curteous. The plane came when it was scheduled. The plane seemed to be well equipted and maintained. The pilot acted as a tour guide with a constant commentary about life in rural Maine, moose and similar topics.

I recommend them.
    Shutterbug

Default Here is a picture of the plane

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I used them last week. They picked me up at White House Landing and flew me to Bangor for $280 ($140 per person). I am not on a tight budget so it was well worth the cost.

My primary motivation for calling the plane was just to get the ride. White House Landing had a brochure. When my partner and I saw how inexpensive it was, we decided to enjoy the flight. Both of us were pilots in Vietnam and my partner had flown a seaplane in Alaska. We decided to see Maine from the air.

The person who took our reservation and the pilot were both curteous. The plane came when it was scheduled. The plane seemed to be well equipted and maintained. The pilot acted as a tour guide with a constant commentary about life in rural Maine, moose and similar topics.

I recommend them.
    Here is a picture of the plane the use.
    Shutterbug

I used them last year to do the 100 mile wilderness. Parked at Abol Bridge and they picked me up for a 2mile car ride to where they take off. They flew me south to the beginning of the wilderness. It is only about a 35 mile flight to get to bottom of the 100 mile wilderness. As such, it was very quick. I forget the exact cost but it is very comparable to a ground shuttle. It is the shortness of the flight that makes it reasonable. I would recommend them.

Slowest Hiker On Earth

My group used them last year and they were awesome.
    I would highly recommend them.

i used them the first of august. spectacular ride! pilot is amazing - first rate and a great tour guide. WELL worth it!!

Echoing what everyone else has said: We used them in July and had a great experience. We added a food drop at Crawford Pond, which didn't add very much to the cost of the flight for two of us. It was a great way to start our trip through the 100 Mile Wilderness.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rpcv View Post
    Echoing what everyone else has said: We used them in July and had a great experience. We added a food drop at Crawford Pond, which didn't add very much to the cost of the flight for two of us. It was a great way to start our trip through the 100 Mile Wilderness.
    Where is Crawford Pond in relation to the 100 Mile Wilderness? Did you hang or bury the food drop? Was that your only re-supply?
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Crawford Pond is just off of the trail, about 52 miles north of Route 15 in the 100 Mile Wilderness. We used a bear canister to store our food and hid it a short ways off the trail. That was our only re-supply. Just as a reference point, we took ten days to hike the 100 mile wilderness. If you were going faster than we were, you may not need the resupply.

++ New Posts ++