WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Let's talk tyvek

We are switching to a new tent and using tyvek as our ground cloth. So with tyvek, how can I get it to be less slippery when in contact with our tent? The tent floor slides around a bit. Can i crinckle the tyvek up to break it in a bit more?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    We are switching to a new tent and using tyvek as our ground cloth. So with tyvek, how can I get it to be less slippery when in contact with our tent? The tent floor slides around a bit. Can i crinckle the tyvek up to break it in a bit more?
    Jennfrick put grommets at the corners and then used hairties to attach to the tent poles, works great, groundcloth never slips . . .

That's strange. When I first started the trail in 2006 I used Tyvek, because that's what everyone said to use, but soon realized that it was a waste of time. But I don't remember having that particular problem with it... Maybe if you set up your tent on level ground BTW, I assume this happens when you'll are just sleeping in that tent

Images

Run it through 2 wash cycles in your washing machine - no detergent and gentle cycle setting. Then air fluff it in the dryer. It'll be soft, less slippery and no crinkling noise.

BE CAREFUL! !!!!!

I learned a lesson once after putting my tyvek in a laundromat dryer on what I thought was "air dry". It melted!

You're do much better letting it air dry outside.

Garlic
    Images

I also figured out a few years ago that Tyvek is a waste of time and weight. Sorry it's not the answer to your question, but I also never had that issue back when I was a Tyvek user. I've been using the same silnylon floor without any ground cloth for my last 5000 trail miles and the floor is still intact--not a single visible puncture or tear. And I met Henry Shires last week, talked about this issue, and he agreed. He said he virtually never gets tents back for floor repair. I can understand wanting to protect your investment, and it was difficult for me, also, but this is really something that can be left at home.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I have an ultralight floor that is silnylon. I want something to protect the floor. I cant tie to tent poles, we have none. The stakes are further out from the corners.

I could see putting it in the washer. I could do it in a front loader and air dry.

According to one tyvek sheet spec sheet I saw, instead of grommets they recommend bunching the corner and using a sheet bend to tie a line to it. You could then run the line out to the tent stake.

They also recommend a couple of gentle cycles in the wash and air dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    According to one tyvek sheet spec sheet I saw, instead of grommets they recommend bunching the corner and using a sheet bend to tie a line to it. You could then run the line out to the tent stake.

They also recommend a couple of gentle cycles in the wash and air dry.
    Awesome, thanks

Images

Thin some silicone caulk diluted 50:50 with mineral spirits and brush a few stripes on either the tyvek or the outside bottom of the tent floor.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

Most home dryers have a no heat setting, also if you throw in a pair of clean tennis shoes they'll help with the softening/wrinkling. I use it and it helps keep the bottom of my tent from being filthy. It just seems that once the bottom gets nasty the crud migrates all over the tent then into my sleeping bag....
    Miracles; they are by nature unbelievable so the mind must rationalize them or justify God is real.

Quote Originally Posted by icantsleep View Post
    BE CAREFUL! !!!!!

I learned a lesson once after putting my tyvek in a laundromat dryer on what I thought was "air dry". It melted!

You're do much better letting it air dry outside.
    Then either it wasn't Tyvek or it wasn't a conventional laundromat there Einstein. . . .

Duct tape wasn't holding that North Face together anymore?
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Then either it wasn't Tyvek or it wasn't a conventional laundromat there Einstein. . . .
    In Albert's defense, I will admit to cooking stuff at a public laundry facility.

I always feel the glass in the door, out of paranoia.

Default Washing Tyvek

One caveat. I washed my Tyvek ground cloth and it did soften it up. The only problem was that it became somewhat fibrous. When I picked it up from the forest floor, all kinds of debris clung to it and was very difficult to remove. This made me give up on Tyvek.
    BackpackFlyfishing.com
    Tight lines, light packs!

Gear Talk with Jason Klass
    There is no such thing as having too many sporks!

Quote Originally Posted by jasonklass View Post
    One caveat. I washed my Tyvek ground cloth and it did soften it up. The only problem was that it became somewhat fibrous. When I picked it up from the forest floor, all kinds of debris clung to it and was very difficult to remove. This made me give up on Tyvek.
    Even if you don't wash it. I have a bunch laying around from a previous job I did on my house. I got some out the other day to lay over my garden and I had to unroll about 10 feet of it until I found some new looking stuff. The portion that was in contact with the ground had badly decomposed, showing many holes and a lot of fibers strung from the edges. A lot of bugs love that stuff.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jasonklass View Post
    Thank you. Does it shake off when dry like poly, or do the fibers grab debris.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    I have an ultralight floor that is silnylon. I want something to protect the floor. I cant tie to tent poles, we have none. The stakes are further out from the corners.

I could see putting it in the washer. I could do it in a front loader and air dry.
    Washing it twice, like said before, will work just fine. I've never had a slipping issue with mine. Works great!
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Wash the building grade stuff with tennis shoes.
    Quest sells fabric grade tyvek, its soft and lighter but not as durable.

You can glue it with almost any waterproof glue, IE just glue on tyvek or nylon loops instead of grommets.

Some really tenacious glue is mcnett aquaseal.

Aquaseal will glue almost anything to anything, including, tyvek to sil, sil to cuben etc.

All of those the materials will fail before the glue.

It will stick to polycro, but not so well. With polycro the glue failed before the material, so not sure how long it would last.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Thank you. Does it shake off when dry like poly, or do the fibers grab debris.
    When I roll up my tent with the tyvek groundcloth, I roll a bit then wipe (from middle out past the ends) anything that is on the tyvek. My hands get filthy from this process, but most of the debris goes away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++