Images

Default West Virginia and Maryland

I'd appreciate comments on how long to plan for doing from VA/WV state line to MD/PA state line (NOBO), including closest road access for drop and pickup. 60 miles and change, I know, but a lot of things can speed that up or slow it down.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

PenMar Park is a great place to park never had a issue in leaving the truck for 3 to 5 days.
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Images

Give me a road name to find on Google Maps?

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Virginia/WVA state line, WV Rt 9 at Keys Gap.

Md/PA state line, Pen Mar Rd Rt 550 at Pen Mar County Park.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Do not park at Keys Gap! Had holes drilled in my wifes gas tank by some unknown punks. PenMar is a great place to park on one end and I would contact the ATC in Harpers Ferry as there are multiple areas for safe parking in town. As far as PenMar Park location, look up PenMar High Rock Rd. in google maps it will give you a general idea. I was never able to find an actual mailing address for the park but it is fairly easy to find. As you start to enter the park you will see where the AT crosses the road so keep going a half mile or less and you will see the park and parking area on the right.
    Conquering the AT one weekend at a time!

Images

TW
    Just got back Wednesday night from doing Front Royal to HF and did HF to Pen Mar last October.
    There are several VA/WV borders that the AT crosses. If you mean Keys Gap to PenMar, then I would plan 4, but no more than 5 days.
    It will take you a couple of hours to hike into HF from Keys Gap it is 5.5 miles. You might want to spend some time there.
    From HF to PenMar, you are only speaking of 3 days @ 13 MPD. Terrain isn't terribly difficult (I think it is rockier from Keys to HF).

If you want to start at Snickers Gap, it will take you a day to get into HF - 20 miles total with part of the roller coaster at the start.

I have parked at Pen Mar a number of times overnight and never had any problems. You just need to park outside of the gates in the large open parking lot - it is surrounded by houses, so no worries there.
    I assume you need a shuttle from Reagan or National? I used Sharon Johnson recently - very nice and very knowledgeable. Let me know if you want her contact (or look it up on the ALDHA site)
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    TW
    Just got back Wednesday night from doing Front Royal to HF and did HF to Pen Mar last October.
    There are several VA/WV borders that the AT crosses. If you mean Keys Gap to PenMar, then I would plan 4, but no more than 5 days.
    It will take you a couple of hours to hike into HF from Keys Gap it is 5.5 miles. You might want to spend some time there.
    From HF to PenMar, you are only speaking of 3 days @ 13 MPD. Terrain isn't terribly difficult (I think it is rockier from Keys to HF).

If you want to start at Snickers Gap, it will take you a day to get into HF - 20 miles total with part of the roller coaster at the start.

I have parked at Pen Mar a number of times overnight and never had any problems. You just need to park outside of the gates in the large open parking lot - it is surrounded by houses, so no worries there.
    I assume you need a shuttle from Reagan or National? I used Sharon Johnson recently - very nice and very knowledgeable. Let me know if you want her contact (or look it up on the ALDHA site)
    'Shed ---

Thanks for the very useful info. Save me a minute: What's the first road access south of the first crossing into WV? I'd like to try to bag ALL of WV in one hike.

I have my own shuttle service, tho; it's called "Daughter lives in Rockville, MD". But thanks for the offer of more info!

Try VA7/679, at Snickers Gap, which is about two and a half miles south of the line. I believe this is in or very near Bluemont, VA.

Oh, and you might not be bagging all of WV on this trip, I seem to remember skirting the State Line (i.e. VA/WV) somewhere back near Pearisburg and the New River, but I'd have to look at my maps to be sure.

Have a great trip.

Images

Jack's right Bluemont VA. It was on the wall of Bears Den Hostel, right at the Gap. VA7 is an E/W 4-lane interstate and VA Rte 679 is a secondary road which intersects with it ( and the AT crosses both).
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

++ New Posts ++