WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Water from Springer to Unicoi

I will be leaving Springer at the end of this week; I have heard lately that some of the water sources between Springer and Unicoi Gap are low or dry (Jarrard Gap, Woods Hole, Rock Spring Top, Boggs Creek Gap).

Can anybody that has gone this way recently give me an update?

Many thanks.

Images

Springer, Stover Creek, Three Forks, Hawk Mtn Shelter, Justus Creek, Gooch Shelter, Hog Pen Gap, and Low Gap Shelter are all flowing.

Images

Just to add to Phreaks info.........Woods' Hole shelter has no water, atleast a couple of weeks ago, a small trickle just past Bird Gap before you go up Blood Mtn.
    From Neels to Low Gap Shelter there was very little if any water, there might be some down the Blue Blaze trail at Hogpen Gap when you come down Wildcat Mtn, but don't count on it.................
    Get water when it's available is my advise...............

The water is there, you just have to look for it. Down lower than the source.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Just got back from doing Hogpen to Dicks Creek. The springs at Blue, Tray, and Low Gap were flowing but it was slow. Two of us had to pace ourselves to keep from pumping faster than it could refill.

Cool, hope you got the messages that I tried to say hello. Too bad you didn't make the shuttle run for the guy and his kid at Dicks.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rentman View Post
    From Neels to Low Gap Shelter there was very little if any water, there might be some down the Blue Blaze trail at Hogpen Gap when you come down Wildcat Mtn, but don't count on it.
    Follow the blue blaze trail (at Hogpen Gap) to the campsite and continue another 50ft and you'll hit a nice, flowing creek (as of 2 weeks ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Follow the blue blaze trail (at Hogpen Gap) to the campsite and continue another 50ft and you'll hit a nice, flowing creek (as of 2 weeks ago).
    Still flowing good this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Just got back from doing Hogpen to Dicks Creek. The springs at Blue, Tray, and Low Gap were flowing but it was slow. Two of us had to pace ourselves to keep from pumping faster than it could refill.

Cool, hope you got the messages that I tried to say hello. Too bad you didn't make the shuttle run for the guy and his kid at Dicks.
    Was that you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rentman View Post
    ...Woods' Hole shelter has no water, atleast a couple of weeks ago, a small trickle just past Bird Gap before you go up Blood Mtn...
    Don't worry about Woods Hole, it's a HOLE. And past Bird Gap are great campsites, just up the hill. (SlaughterCreek Campsite).

Images

Default Thanks

Wow, thanks for the quick and thorough replies! Cool AT Breeze, tell Cola Monkey that I would bring her some BBQ from Aggieland, but I don’t think it would make the trip. I WILL let her have any Rudy’s sauce I have left when I pass by on Tuesday.

Cool beans.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cool AT Breeze View Post
    Was that you?
    No. We pulled up while they were waiting and were talking when the guy that you sent arrived. He dropped your name and said he was helping you out so I told him to say hello for me. I'm still wondering about those guys. That kid wasn't but 8 or 9 and they were planning to do Woody to Dicks by Monday.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org

Journal Entries
    Images

There was water on the way up Rocky Mtn Saturday. Slower than I've seen it before. But I've also seen it much worse. Go down below where you cross the big creek, about half way up. And since you can't see the source, filter or treat. I only treat when I can't see the source, otherwise, I drink it straight.

Are the kids you are talking about a female child (long blonde hair), about 10, and a male child (brown hair) about 9-10 with a father and then another father with a female child, aged 10? If so, I know them. . . they are all experienced hikers. The first group is a female child and her male cousin. . . both have been hiking since the female child was 6 months old.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that they did indeed make the whole thing by Monday. ; - ) I got a trip report from them this afternoon (Tuesday), and they had a great time.

aka Kudzu
    Images

No girls. Just a guy and his son.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA

++ New Posts ++