WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

Default Dumb Question about thru-hikers!!! read now and answer!!!

Okay, this is a really dumb question, but here goes.

Does anyone know if the people on whiteblaze are more likely to finish a thru-hike than the people who say:

"hey look, walmart has everything for backpacking and i bought it, so now what to do with it... aha! ive got it, ill search, searching... searching... AHA! The AT im leaving to hike the at honey!"

I mean, its obvious that those people wont finish, but who are the majority and why? i love reading essays, so if anyone wants to elaborate, pray continue. (it means go ahead.)
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Georgia Mountain Boy

I see lots of folks starting their through hikes each March. Frankly, I don't think there's any way to predcit or categorize those who finish. It's a little bit luck and a lot of desire. I'm not sure that prior experience, the amount of preparation and planning, or the hours spent readin books and websites make a lot of difference.

Mostly, I think, its the inner drive to keep at it day after day.

GA-ME-04
    Images

I did'nt have any experience at all. I simply got off the couch and started walking.

Quote Originally Posted by David@whiteblaze View Post

Does anyone know if the people on whiteblaze are more likely to finish a thru-hike than the people who say:

"hey look, walmart has everything for backpacking and i bought it, so now what to do with it... aha! ive got it, ill search, searching... searching... AHA! The AT im leaving to hike the at honey!"

I mean, its obvious that those people wont finish, but who are the majority and why?
    no. people on WB are not more likely to finish a thru-hike than someone who does it on a spur of the moment

why do you think the walmart hikers won't finish and website patagonia types will?

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    no. people on WB are not more likely to finish a thru-hike than someone who does it on a spur of the moment
    Amen. DavidAWB, once you actually get out there, you'll find that the majority of AT hikers haven't even heard of WhiteBlaze, much less be members of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    why do you think the walmart hikers won't finish and website patagonia types will?
    Because he's 14 and doesn't know any better.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post

Because he's 14 and doesn't know any better.
    What's your excuse?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    What's your excuse?
    I'm just a ****tard.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

I'm just a ****tard.
    Hey, that's my excuse.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Garlic
    Images

Amen. DavidAWB, once you actually get out there, you'll find that the majority of AT hikers haven't even heard of WhiteBlaze, much less be members of it.
    Amen again. I've only actually met three or four other WB hikers, and I never even heard of WB until after my AT thru. It sure didn't affect my hike. My gear and my style reflect my experience, not others'.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    The actual hiking process is intensely real and physical. When someone has built up elaborate fantasies about The Hike, the real hike is usually a disappointment, even a betrayal.
    I agree with this. I'm certainly NOT a spur of the moment kind of guy -- I need to do some planning. But aside from saving money, the planning I've done has usually been done in a 3-4 month period before the hike, not over a period of 5 years.

I think that all of the info on the internet (not really available for my first thru) can be a good thing in that it helps some people with little experience to get the nerve to get on trail at all, and helps them make some good decisions before they get out there. Like not starting your Southbound thru-hike in February.

On the other hand, I think it's also increased the number of people attempting to thru-hike without seriously affecting the completion rate (I believe the increase in completion percentage is more due to people claiming to have thru-hiked who have not. This is just my opinion.) I think it's created a whole class of "dreamers," many of whom will never attempt a thru-hike, an many others of whom quit when the reality doesn't match the dream.

So like most things (except cheese), the internet can be good or bad, depending on how you use it. I don't think it can be used as a predictor of success.

Personally, I save my elaborate fantasies about the hike for storytelling fodder after I've finished.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

I am amazed a the hikers I meet who are NOT members here.

Images

Just last year I saw a section hiker that did nearly that, she didn't go to Wall Mart, she went to her parents basement & got her Brother's Boy Scout gear. Was on the trail the next week. She did NO research other than to find a trailhead (Damascus). Last time I saw her she was in Atkins having the time of her life.
    So, sorry to say: but the "Wall Mart hikers" are not more (or less) likely to finish than anyone else. Yes, she did change some gear on the trail, but after the first week or so it's almost all attitude, she had a good attitude / mind set.

I have also seen "Well prepared hikers" (Patagonia hikers?) who didn't make it past the 100 mile mark, , , and NOT due to gear failure, but to a "Bad attitude".

Maybe White Blaze can help with gear and attitude, but if it isn't in YOU, there is nothing anyone else can say or do to make it work for you.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

I agree. Much of life is about attitude. The most effective thing a person can bring to any under taking is a "good attitude." I don't mean some goofy, sweet bull crap attitude. I mean a purposeful, can do, positive, make it happen attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Just last year I saw a section hiker that did nearly that, she didn't go to Wall Mart, she went to her parents basement & got her Brother's Boy Scout gear. Was on the trail the next week. She did NO research other than to find a trailhead (Damascus). Last time I saw her she was in Atkins having the time of her life.
    So, sorry to say: but the "Wall Mart hikers" are not more (or less) likely to finish than anyone else. Yes, she did change some gear on the trail, but after the first week or so it's almost all attitude, she had a good attitude / mind set.

I have also seen "Well prepared hikers" (Patagonia hikers?) who didn't make it past the 100 mile mark, , , and NOT due to gear failure, but to a "Bad attitude".

Maybe White Blaze can help with gear and attitude, but if it isn't in YOU, there is nothing anyone else can say or do to make it work for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by David@whiteblaze View Post
    Okay, this is a really dumb question, but here goes.

I mean, its obvious that those people wont finish, but who are the majority and why? i love reading essays, so if anyone wants to elaborate, pray continue. (it means go ahead.)
    There is no true, scientific way of accurately predicting who will finish a thru-hike and who won't. Gear actually has less to do with it than you'd probably think. Grandma Gatewood completed the trail in Keds sneakers, slept in a wool army blanket at night, a raincoat and carried it all in a homemade bag carried over her shoulder. Earl Shaffer hiked the trail in worn boots, an army rucksack and didn't carry a stove or a tent. The point is that thru-hiking is a lot less about expensive, status symbol gear than it is about heart, drive, determination, attitude and perseverance. Those 5 things you can't get at any outfitter, with any label or at any price. Either you have them or you don't.

There is no true, scientific way of accurately predicting who will finish a thru-hike and who won't. Gear actually has less to do with it than you'd probably think. Grandma Gatewood completed the trail in Keds sneakers, slept in a wool army blanket at night, a raincoat and carried it all in a homemade bag carried over her shoulder. Earl Shaffer hiked the trail in worn boots, an army rucksack and didn't carry a stove or a tent. The point is that thru-hiking is a lot less about expensive, status symbol gear than it is about heart, drive, determination, attitude and perseverance. Those 5 things you can't get at any outfitter, with any label or at any price. Either you have them or you don't.
    Grandma Gatewood :On one of her hikes, at least, she used a shower curtain as a raincoat and protection while sleeping (she did take advantage [in a nice way] of the kindness of strangers and slept in houses, garages, sheds, etc. as well as shelters along the trail.
    Earl Shaffer: He never hiked in socks. He poured vegetable oil inside his boots, rubbed it in, and put them on his bare feet.
    Just a couple of interesting factoids.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

attitude is the reason they finish, I'm just a section hiker and I try to do 3 90 mile treks a year. If you don't get discourage no bug, rain, field mice, and the smell will stop you from reaching your goal
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Quote Originally Posted by CowHead View Post
    If you don't get discourage no bug, rain, field mice, and the smell will stop you from reaching your goal
    I plan every hike with the expectation that I am going to be completely miserable, with tons of bugs, vicious bears, freezing rain, and drunks at every campsite.

When I get out on the trail it turns out to be paradise, and the little things never compare to what I psych myself out to expect them to be.

Works for me!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    I plan every hike with the expectation that I am going to be completely miserable, with tons of bugs, vicious bears, freezing rain, and drunks at every campsite.

When I get out on the trail it turns out to be paradise, and the little things never compare to what I psych myself out to expect them to be.

Works for me!
    Jonnycat,

I think you hit the nail on the head. Prepare for the worst and the rest will take care of itself. That's what we did in the fire service and it carried us through many a rough time. It is, however, a hard concept to understand that someone would just be reading the paper one day and say, "Oh, by the way, I'm leaving to thru-hike the AT tomorrow", then get up, go to Wally World and buy all the equipment they need in one fell swoop. I think that is setting yourself up for failure. There are exceptions to the rule and for some folks it may be that simple. For me, I will absorb all the knowledge I can get prior to beginning my attempt in 4-5 years, including several multi-night hikes. But no matter what one does, there's always going to be curveballs thrown your way. But bottom line, there is no right or wrong way, only your way. 'Nuff said.

Images

First, not being on WB (only one of the ways to do research) does not mean you won't finish a thru.

Second, having no experience does not mean you won't finish a thru.

Third, being out of shape does not mean you won't finish a thru.

Fourth, having the "Wrong" gear does not mean you won't finish a thru.

Fifth, thinking it will mostly be a physical challenge will not mean you won't finish a thru.

Having said all that, my personal belief is that some study and practice can't help but increase your odds. Knowing that you are entering a mental game with yourself, having at least what most consider adequate gear, and more importantly, having some alternatives in mind if you don't like what you have can only increase your chances. Having some sense of what your daily routine will be will make you more comfortable physically. Knowing that it is normal to have some miserable times will be a comfort to you mentally when those times come.

Some research and planning, I think, will always be an asset to a successful thru. Over planning and analyzing can be worse than no planning. Obviously this is my opinion, but if I were designing a scientific experiment, this would be my beginning hypothesis. It makes sense, based on most other activities we engage in.

Images

I'll go a step further and say that too much theory time is actually detrimental to completing a hike. In Bill Bryson's book, he writes about people quitting because "it wasn't what they expected."

How do people develop those expectations? Some people can develop them in a vaccum, through their own fantasies. But a lot of people develop them through reading books, watching movies, and spending time online. The more time spent in this passive acquisition of "knowledge," the more detailed and specific the fantasies are likely to be.

The actual hiking process is intensely real and physical. When someone has built up elaborate fantasies about The Hike, the real hike is usually a disappointment, even a betrayal.

A successful hiker is more likely to be someone who accepts the realities they find as they find them, and someone who can figure out a way to solve problems as they crop up. Stubborness and a refusal to quit in the face of obstacles is a key personality trait. Knowledge can be helpful, but practical experience is probably more helpful, and a willingness to learn and adapt more helpful still.

And then there's the luck factor. I don't think Whiteblaze has an effect one way or the other on that.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++