WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

It would work better, if it were co-operative.

There are many obstacles to this lifestyle choice.

For example, on a road trip I have to battle being seen as "homeless". I have nice expensive things to offset this perception.

It doesn't always work out that way, in fact, one time failing miserably. It was night. I was a crime victim. The criminals said I was a crazy woman. I was viewed as homeless and indigent, although I am neither. No one would defend me. It is a miracle I ever left their jail. That incident was a setback and obstacle to achieving the life I want.

I use my website to move "hikers" and others people, e.g. canoe and kayak tours and the "trekking tourism" existing in other nations, in fact, all who enjoy "tourism" in natural surroundings to see and experience the natural world, away from the reliance of "guides" and away from the image of homeless vagabonds or "bums", and, perhaps most important, not needing to be "rescued" ..and it isn't easy!

One small example: I want to promote the alcohol stove but I don't want it in a beer can or called a "hobo" stove.

As someone said, back in the thread, some "hikers" on the AT bum food from prepared hikers and "beg" or dumpster dive near trail towns. As far as I am concerned, that is more like "hitchhiking" the trail, than "hiking".

As someone said, back in the thread, in order to achieve "sustainable living" people lived cooperatively. Even so, I don't think I can achieve "sustainable living" but I believe I know how to achieve the nearest thing to it.

I wish more people shared my vision.

Images

Hey, that sounds great, living off the land and what not. Just remember this: Wherever you are this summer, think of me in the morning, and know that i packed out one of those Entenmann's, cheese-filled,crumb coffee cakes in a gallon ziplic. Bon appetit!

Wheeler, Read my website.

My first year in Montana, at the Swift Dam Reservoir "county park" access to The Bob Marshall Wilderness, I packed out 5 pickup truckloads of "discards".

When I moved up to property, I was basically "gifted" next to Glacier National Park, I picked up the entire west end of the Going-to-the-Sun highway.

Hikers, in general, understand "Leave No Trace" principals.

Connie, I like what you are trying to do. I would like to live more self-sufficiently. I'm trying to learn what I can for now, making do with just learning to live on less money and gathering up information on survival tactics for when I really truly am homeless, should that ever happen.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Question: if you (anyone reading this) chose to live on the trail, what would you actively be doing to help your fellow human beings in need? I mean, those individuals and organizations who truly need the help of charitable donations and/or volunteer time, how would you be helping them while living on the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoooma View Post
    Question: if you (anyone reading this) chose to live on the trail, what would you actively be doing to help your fellow human beings in need? I mean, those individuals and organizations who truly need the help of charitable donations and/or volunteer time, how would you be helping them while living on the trail?
    I wouldn't choose to do this, but if I did I suppose I would be actively using fewer resources, which would benefit every human on the planet, needy or not.

I suppose I'd also volunteer to do trail work.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

You could do a ton of volunteer work by cleaning shelters and light trail work. I do it every day I am out there.

I know a guy who lives at the lake..he is in a situation he PRESENTLY cannot get out of, although he is doing wht he can to turn it around..But he does do his share with what he can..he cleans up after day users leave the park and their mess..He cleans off the tables, picks up all the syrofoam plates on the ground and throws them into the garbage..A homeless man doing the opposite of what most think homeless stands for..The rangers let him stay there because of that. It helps them out and helps keep cost down.. At the same time they are helping him to try to get out of his situation in return..

He told me one time, if he was a homeless on the AT he would do everything he could to help trail workers keep up the trail..Just his way of giving back what he only can, presently..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

The majority of people, in their daily lives, don't do anything to help their fellow human beings in need. FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by jombo22 View Post
    The majority of people, in their daily lives, don't do anything to help their fellow human beings in need. FWIW.
    And that's really sad. Did you enjoy some nice meals over these past couple weeks of holiday time? There are places where children have to pick through a garbage dump to find scraps that will hopefully be enough for their family.

I'm sure that using fewer resources and/or cleaning shelters and doing light trail work wouldn't really help out children who might not live to Age 5.

Out of sight, out of mind, I guess

And that's really sad. Did you enjoy some nice meals over these past couple weeks of holiday time? There are places where children have to pick through a garbage dump to find scraps that will hopefully be enough for their family.

I'm sure that using fewer resources and/or cleaning shelters and doing light trail work wouldn't really help out children who might not live to Age 5.

Every once in a while, someone decides it would be a good idea to post on whiteblaze with their thoughts on how other people should spend their time, energy, and resources. And I have to wonder what they think they'll accomplish by doing so. If they intend to inform or inspire, they should know that they pretty much just come off as self-righteous and sanctimonious, and they don't really convince anyone of anything other than that.

In the past, posts like this tend to elicit the following response:
    "Who and what I choose to donate my time and money to is none of your business."

That's pretty much it. I have never seen anyone post, "my God, you're right!" And for the purposes of this thread, I suppose we could add, "I'll have to rethink the hypothetical situation that was never going to happen anyway."

Zoomba, if you actually want to convince anyone (and here I'm assuming that's what you intend), you should rethink how you try to go about it. If you just like arguing, I suppose you could keep on your present course.

Quote Originally Posted by jombo22 View Post
    I totally disagree...most people who have a job are doing something to help their fellow human beings in need. Anyone who provides a service or makes a product is fulfilling a need...even if all they are doing is putting another product on the shelf at a store so a single mother can have a minimum wage job. There's nothing wrong with earning money while helping people...people that work in social services do it all the time.

Capitalism helps people because it creates more products and services than there were before, which in turn drives down prices to levels the average person can afford. That's why many poor people in this country are fat, have microwaves, DVD players and name brand shoes.

A thriving economy raises everyone's standard of living, even those on the bottom rungs of the ladder.

Arguing isn't my objective. I don't want to tick anyone off. But peoples' selfishness is something that saddens me almost as much as those who are ignored in the world. These are issues that are real and personal to me, that I'm very passionate about. There's a LOT more to helping others than using less resources, cleaning up trash at a shelter on the AT, or sinking earned money into the economy. Problems don't fix themselves. They need money.

If anyone gets defensive, I can't help but wonder if it's because they know they should do more, but they don't because of the addiction to spend on self rather than the suffering. I understand the addiction, believe me!! I struggle with it all the time. When I see someone who seemingly wants to satisfy self only, then I can't help from opening my mouth to speak up for those who need help in this world.

If I can get just one person thinking
    it would be nice to do a little more for others,
    others who are truly in dire need,
    then that's great.

Arguing isn't my objective. I don't want to tick anyone off. But peoples' selfishness is something that saddens me almost as much as those who are ignored in the world. These are issues that are real and personal to me, that I'm very passionate about. There's a LOT more to helping others than using less resources, cleaning up trash at a shelter on the AT, or sinking earned money into the economy. Problems don't fix themselves. They need money.

If anyone gets defensive, I can't help but wonder if it's because they know they should do more, but they don't because of the addiction to spend on self rather than the suffering. I understand the addiction, believe me!! I struggle with it all the time. When I see someone who seemingly wants to satisfy self only, then I can't help from opening my mouth to speak up for those who need help in this world.

If I can get just one person thinking
    it would be nice to do a little more for others,
    others who are truly in dire need,
    then that's great.
    That's a laudable goal, but as I posted, you're not going to convince anyone by posting criticisms of what other people do. Of course they're going to get defensive, and it's not because they feel guilty. Do you honestly expect any other reaction when you post something like this?:

Trying to lay a guilt trip like that on people who don't know you won't work. Period. It just makes them think you're a jerk, when in reality you're just passionate. Jack Tarlin started a thread in November about "Favorite Charities." That, in my mind, had a way better chance of informing people and getting them to act.

Good luck in the coming year, with your thru-hike and everything else!

Zoooma, no offense intended here--but overall, I agree with Jester. Your post was not inspiring (to me). Frankly, it is the type of post that actually makes me feel LESS likely to support a cause. You came off as sounding "superior" and "arrogant"--as oppossed to inspirational. Which, I trust, was not your intent. The old phrase" "You attract more flies with honey (than vinegar)" is generally pretty true. Unfortunately, you had a lot of "vinegar" in your posts.

Most people don't change because we chastise them or because we tell them how awful and selfish they are. People tend to follow folks who are quietly rolling up their sleeves and getting the job done. Using "guilt" to propel someone into action does not generally make people long term converts to a cause.

I would disagree with your somewhat critical attitude regarding people who are "just" doing "small" things locally. I think that you underestimate the tremendous impact of such efforts. Those small little local efforts often accomplish far more than all of our large-scale fundraising efforts and our grand attempts at world-changing social activism.

Those folks (mentioned in other posts), who were cleaning up their local trails, accomplished far more for the environment than was accomplished by the entire Copenhagen Conference that was held in December 2009.

I am by no means saying that people should not get involved in such global arenas. However, we must realize that the impact of our efforts is not as huge as we would like to think.

I cannot personally do very much to feed hungry children in Africa or to clean up toxic waste in Asia. (And, what I can do in those areas often has a minimal impact on the larger situation. It is basically the equivalent of sitting in a rubber raft and trying to stop a battleship by throwing marshmallows at it).

However, I CAN pick up the trash in my own area. I can help the local family who lost their home to a fire. I can work at a local homeless shelter. I personally spent the last 48 hours supporting a family who is adopting an HIV-positive child from Africa (the adoption cleared the courts today!). I spent 8 weeks helping in New Orleans and other places in Louisiana following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. etc. etc. etc.

If each of us--around the world--did "just" a little bit to "straighten up the mess" in our own neighborhood--the world would be a much better place. Think globally--but act locally!

I applaud people who are trying to take on the big global issues. However, it is often the local person (who is actually rolling up his or her sleeves) that usually gets the job done.

So, if I were living on the trail full-time, how would I make the world a better place? I would pick up trash. I would repair trails. I would be kind and helpful to fellow hikers. I would sweep out shelters. I would share whatever I had with people who had less. I would treat other people as I would want to be treated. And, if people ever offered to financially repay me for my services--I would simply tell them that the best way to repay me would be for them to someday personally help out someone else who is in need.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries

Frankly, I agree with everyone on this thread. No one does enough, Most everyone could and should do more.

I think, however, one should start with helping with those things that they profess to love. Thus, I'm upset occasionally when people gush over -- or more frequently complain -- about the trails I maintain, but never respond when I need maintenance help.

Some of these folks, I know, send dollars each year to help people elsewhere. And I know that for many it is far easier to send money, than to give time. Which is my complaint. Time often is what is needed.

All politics is local. Charity needs to be worldwide. But I think in the long run the best chance for the world to be a better place, is for people to start their giving locally -- and expand.

Weary

Matthew 25:34-35
    Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me
    Nope, doesn't say anything about trail maintenance.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    Matthew 25:34-35
    Nope, doesn't say anything about trail maintenance.
    Yes. It does, at least for those of us who can read with understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Yes. It does, at least for those of us who can read with understanding.
    Ahh, I see, the plain text doesn't support your viewpoint, but by "reading with understanding"/spinning everyone is right. This way our vacation club (the ATC and local clubs) looks like the most perfect, legit charity.

Some parts of the Bible don't need interpretation, the plain text works fine.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    Ahh, I see, the plain text doesn't support your viewpoint, but by "reading with understanding"/spinning everyone is right. This way our vacation club (the ATC and local clubs) looks like the most perfect, legit charity.

Some parts of the Bible don't need interpretation, the plain text works fine.
    This is not a thread for interpreting scripture.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
++ New Posts ++