WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Falling Waters Trail Question

I am headed up to do the Falling Waters/Bridal Path loop the first weekend in October.

The thought of including Garfield in on this trip has crossed my mind. I am not sure what it's like heading over there from lafayette....is it much harder than the walk from Lafayette over to Little Haystack?

Just wondering if it was feesable to work it into a day hike. I not a fast hiker but I definilty have some time to spare after I finish that loop.

thanks!!

It is harder. Garfield ridge trail has a few very rough spots. Garfield has nice views, but really is just a little bump to the south of the AT (about .1 mi, if I remember correctly). The Garfield ridge trail was wet and slippery when I did it about 25 years ago in October. One of the three in our group had just purchased some very heavy all leather hikers and had blisters. We actually set up my tent in a boggy area just off the trail, got sleeted on all night and the next day the rocky climb up to Garfield Shelter was coated in ice. Very interesting hiking without crampons.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Thanks!! I am going to make a "special" Garfield trip...that way I can finally stay at 13 falls.

Boy I can't wait for the foliage to start kicking in!

Images
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

Oh it is!!! I love it!!!!

Images

Ok another question....is there a fee at the 13 falls tentsite...i know you have to pay for parking at licoln woods but not sure about the actualy tentsite.

has anyone been there?

Quote Originally Posted by hikergirl1120 View Post
    Ok another question....is there a fee at the 13 falls tentsite...i know you have to pay for parking at licoln woods but not sure about the actualy tentsite.

has anyone been there?
    13 Falls campsite has a caretaker, and the fee is $8.00/person. There are also several good bootleg campsites nearby, just outside the forest protection zone.

Some years if AMC runs low on people to staff their system, the backcountry sites are the first ones to have the staff pulled. It varies from year to year, but you may not have nayone to pay at 13 falls, then again you may.

Images

Ok thank you again! I just wanted to have the cash with me if I needed it.

I can't wait to get out there!!

++ New Posts ++