WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

just wanted to put this thread back up on the board to see if any one else responded...from what ive been learning i hear this is a super muddy trail....i am beginning to realize that their would be sections of the AT that have nice weather this time of year but something is drawing me to thickets of the VT desolate forest...any one else planning on doing this hike this summer
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

I think the mud issue is why a lot of people hike the LT in August or September. The trail seems to dry out by then, but the water sources are still running.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    I think the mud issue is why a lot of people hike the LT in August or September. The trail seems to dry out by then, but the water sources are still running.
    Very True. Honestly Lazy River, it depends on the year and how much rain has fell in the few weeks before you start. I'd imagine this entire summer was a slop fest on the LT as it was in late summer on the NPT. But during a dry summer like 02' or 06' I'd imagine mud wouldn't be much of a problem.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Very True. Honestly Lazy River, it depends on the year and how much rain has fell in the few weeks before you start. I'd imagine this entire summer was a slop fest on the LT as it was in late summer on the NPT. But during a dry summer like 02' or 06' I'd imagine mud wouldn't be much of a problem.
    True, dat.
    We hiked in a drought year, virtually no mud - and had trouble finding water at reliable sources. (Jester was right ahead of us for part of the hike, we enjoyed reading his curses and moans).
    But the most aggravation you'll likely have is damp and mud, particularly when the AT and LT are cojoined; it can be a mudpit.

We didn't hike as early as you plan to, but heard warnings of the black flies in June/July. There were only a couple left by early August, and only at water sources. Still, they pulled out a chunk of ankle and flew away with it.

Be sure to stop at The HydeAway Inn. It's not a bad place to leave your car and shuttle north, hiking south back to the Inn. Spur and ready just did the LT that way.
    Margaret the proprietor is great with hikers, extremely helpful, does your laundry and the grub is fantastic - AYCE breakfast in '02. For supper, be sure to order the "Apple Pie a la Clyde." New specialty of the house.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Im fully prepared to get muddy...the black flies are going to suck but i hope my head net will take care of that...you can have my ankles but you will never take my face...i keep flip flooping....i have this desire to do the LT and be lost in total desolate...but the rain and flys seems to deter me a bit...vermont has always pulled me towards its moutains. I have one month to hike from mid june to late july. about a month to a month and a half....could do a section of the AT of PCT...but like the ideah of an end to end hike...it also appeals to me bc its the first long distance trail in the US. Does any one have any suggestions on this...should I just do the LT or are their sections of the AT/PCT that are going to be amazing. Cost is also a factor...I like in MD and could get up north pretty cheaply by grey hounding it
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    . . . Jester was right ahead of us for part of the hike, we enjoyed reading his curses and moans . . .
    I was hiking with Funkee. He's a bad influence on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    I was hiking with Funkee. He's a bad influence on me.
    Au contraire! The ravings gave us heart.

We figured, heck, if past AT thru-hikers were sucking wind and bitching, we were doing alright to be hanging in there (sucking wind and bitching with the best of them...)
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    ps. cookerhiker nice journals read a couple the insight is very inlightning...ive been reading lots of journals lately I feel it is a good way for me to get mentally prepared for the journey to come
    Much thanks. Have a good hike

I attempted it in 2005. Got as far south as Rolston Rest Shelter before a foot of snow appeared and ended the hike.

I strongly recommend hammocking. The LT is perfect for it. Spent 3 nights in shelters and went to the hammock, never to return.

Joe Hiker when did you atempt it...im going in june through mid july sobo...I plan on using a tent (my aura 3p) bc of the bugs at the time....I also dont see how hammocks can be comfortable at least for me imo...sleeping with a bent back gives me back achs just thinking about it...then im hopeing to continue on through Mass on the AT untill its time to go home....

I did it in October because I like hiking through the fall foliage.

The thing about the hammock (at least the Hennessey) is that you don't sleep with a bent back. In fact, the surface you sleep on is flat. You can even sleep on your side. That's the advantage of the asymmetrical shape. You twist a little and suddenly you have a flat bottom.

Seriously it's extremely comfortable. Far more so than sleeping on the ground, IMHO. That doesn't mean I'm telling you to run out and buy one. If you can, I would suggest you find someone who has one and try it. But I think if you did, you would love it.

I think you'll be fine if you tent but it closes down your options. I brought a tarptent on that hike as well -- part of the purpose was to evaluate the two shelters and see which I preferred. But when I hit the Jonesville Post Office, I sent the Tarp Tent home. There were a few shelters where finding tent space was rather iffy or nonexistent. The first week, when it rained every day, there was no way I wanted to put my tent on the ground. And it only took a couple nights in the shelters for me to realize -- never again.

But whereever you go on the Long Trail, you are rarely more than a few feet from two trees that are the right distance

Oh, I went SOBO myself

Default the Long Trail

I plan on thru hikeing the Long Trail this summer. Leaving late June returning late July. Any pieces of advice....did people enjoy this trail. I heard its a beatiful trail through some really pretty areas. Advice...suggestions....encouragement

Hi Lazy River Road,

I hiked this trail in 2002 and 2004. It is a wonderful trail but very strenuous.

The A.T. portion, the southern most 100 miles, is where most of the mud will be found and it is also the easiest terrain of the trail. I would suggest, if you could, to do the trail in august or even September to have better conditions vis a vis mud, bugs, and fewer crowds. This is a gorgeous trail.

On the LT not to be missed are:

1) Goddard shelter and view from the fire tower atop Gooddared Peak,
    2) view from fire tower on Stratton Mtn.
    3) stay the night at Stratton pond and./or Little Rock pond. yeah you have to give care taker a few bucks but so what? these are gorgeous spots
    4) spend night at Inn at Long trail. Very hiker friendly and awesome breakfasts.
    5) try and go over Jay peak with blue skies. The 360 degree view from summit is fabulous!

It is north of route 4 that the trail eventually gets really hard, particularly going over Mansfield!

If you can allow yourself a whole month, as apposed to 21-25 days, you will enjoy it more as you can keep your pace moderate and even have a couple zero days.

DavidNH

Excellent post!

This is all great info...i dont know any one with a hammock bc i dont know any one really involved in the hiker community...im just getting into it....illl call harpers ferry outfitters and see if they will let me check out one of their hammocks...to lay in just to get the feel...are hammocks expensive....do any of them have bug netting that you can put around them? I def do not want to end up sleeping in shelters...JH was it just to muddy to set up a tent? at least if its muddy then then the ground will be softer

just looked at hennesy hammocks and should of looked before asking some of my ?'s...ooppss...looks cool but looks expensive....

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    .....On the LT not to be missed are:

1) Goddard shelter and view from the fire tower atop Gooddared Peak,
    2) view from fire tower on Stratton Mtn.
    3) stay the night at Stratton pond and./or Little Rock pond. yeah you have to give care taker a few bucks but so what? these are gorgeous spots
    4) spend night at Inn at Long trail. Very hiker friendly and awesome breakfasts.
    5) try and go over Jay peak with blue skies. The 360 degree view from summit is fabulous!......
    DavidNH
    I would add to this (1) the Lincoln Ridge aka Monroe Skyway from Lincoln Gap to Appalachian Gap particularly Mt. Abraham where you get your first (hiking NOBO that is) views of Lake Champlain and (2) Camels Hump, the best summit on the LT IMO because of the lack of roads, ski resorts, tramways etc. and the views.

<my2cents> The further north you get the more exciting/challenging the trail and the more beautiful the scenery. I honestly don't know why everyone loves the Long Trail Tavern so much - it's a dive that happens to have a few excellent beers on tap, but awful food (even to a hungry hiker's palate). Though Johnson is a nice place to resupply.
    The Inn at the Long Trail, however, is a can't miss. Hitch down the road to Bridgewater Corners to visit the Long Trail Brewery itself for some excellent food and even better beer. And I agree, don't pass up any of the fire towers when the weather is nice. </my2cents>
    -Rich
    (Monkey Pillow SB E2E 08')

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    5) try and go over Jay peak with blue skies. The 360 degree view from summit is fabulous!
    DavidNH
    The view from Jays Peak on my last day of the LT hike was what convinced me that I had to do the AT. (Every day a different view..and some like this ?!?!) 7 AM. Had the summit all to myself and could see the rolling hills to the north poking through the clouds. Good stuff.

(Wish I had a better photo..but it was 12 yrs ago! )

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

just looked at hennesy hammocks and should of looked before asking some of my ?'s...ooppss...looks cool but looks expensive....

Yeah, if you get all the stuff you need it isn't cheap, particularly with the under quilt. But I think if you try one, you'll soon be scheming about how you are going to save your money to buy one.

In the meantime you'll be fine with a tent.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++