WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Images

Preview post was a wonderful idea especially for those who don't donate.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Preview post was a wonderful idea especially for those who don't donate.

I would like to think that everyone,
    even the "non-donating" members of
    this site should still have a voice.

One lump or two, SOG?
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Images

Is the Northern part of the LT that is rugged comparable to the whites or what? Does it compare to southern maine on the AT...?

Is 15 miles a day on average a reasonable game plan... not that game plans mean all that much when you get out there I just have a few dates I need to be places...

Sorry I have posted several other things inquiring about the Long Trail when everything I wanted to know is posted in these above!!

Much appreciated...

Godspeeed
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The northern part of the LT was some of the hardest hiking I've ever done (terrain wise) period. Of course, I was in worse shape, had a heavier pack and it was my first long hike.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Phoenix View Post
    Is the Northern part of the LT that is rugged comparable to the whites or what? Does it compare to southern maine on the AT...?

Is 15 miles a day on average a reasonable game plan... not that game plans mean all that much when you get out there I just have a few dates I need to be places...

Sorry I have posted several other things inquiring about the Long Trail when everything I wanted to know is posted in these above!!

Much appreciated...

Godspeeed
    Yes, quite simply the Northern part is considerably harder (and more rural) than the southern part. It begins right around the "Maine Junction." That begin said, the northern part is also the prettiest BECAUSE it is more rural and rugged. I would suggest trying to pump out a few 20+ days before reaching the Maine Junction and then slow up (I went from about 20 miles a day to 12-13 miles) to really take in the north. It is awesome up there! I Miss it already!

15 a day through the middle and northern LT is fine, this is depending on your fitness and experience levels of course, I would expect to be able to do the same mileage the whole way, it will just take longer north of Route 4.

The second time I hiked I went from Route 4 to Jonesville in 4.5 days, and granted, it was tough, but not all that dramatic. Where as the same section took me 7 days on my first hike. Alot depneds on you and you won't know until you get there.

Remember, you never really get into trail shape along the LT, it's just not long enough, I've always felt it takes me 350-400 miles to get in top physical condition (this is combined with pre-hike training of 4-6 weeks), so for many hikers...every day on the LT is difficult, and when you start to feel strong, well, you are finished!

That's one good reason to go southbound!

NE AT 733 of 733 miles & Long Trail End-to-End Tramper Al's Avatar
    Images

Much appreciated...

Godspeeed
    Your mileage per day is a personal thing, so I'll try to focus on the comparisons. But yes, I think 15 miles per day would not be an uncommon pace for an in-shape backpacker. I think in terms of degree of difficulty, per mile, that the AT in Southern Maine is a pretty good comparison for the northern LT. The LT differs, though, in that it receives a lot less traffic and I think a lot less brushing out. So it can seem a bit more rugged and wild form a vegetation standpoint. The LT does not have quite the same level of elevation gains or alpine zone travel as the Whites, of course.
    - Tramper Al

LRR,

do you have a solid itinerary yet? let us know.

Ishmael (from HF)

Much appreciated...

Godspeeed
    Mt. Mansfield (the Chin and the Forehead) are more difficult than anything in Maine short of the climb up Katahdin (even that's debatable). There are a few very tricky sections there. Otherwise, the northern LT is comparable to most of southern Maine.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++