WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

Default Who Has Hiked the Long Trail

I plan on thru hikeing the Long Trail this summer. Leaving late June returning late July. Any pieces of advice....did people enjoy this trail. I heard its a beatiful trail through some really pretty areas. Advice...suggestions....encouragement

Write Jester2000 who hiked a few years ago and had a great time doing so.

Images

It's a tough trail, but a rewarding one. I re-hiked the AT portion in 04' and hiked the split to Canada in September 06' (a great month to hike!)

Carry as little food as possible and keep your pack weight low. There are plenty of places to re-fuel and you don't need to carry more than 4 days anywhere.

Take the short side trail to Belvidere Mtn and climb the fire tower. On a clear day it's one of the best views of northern New England.

Definitely don't skip the Long Trail Tavern in Johnson.

Highly advice watching the sunset/rise from Bromley ski area.

Try and hit Mt Abe (and the whole App Gap to Lincoln Gap), Mansfield, Camel's Hump, Jay Peak in good weather as the going is borderline dangerous in wet conditions. If you have time hunker down in one of the many Lean-to's with a book!

There will be significantly less people north of Rt 4, which can be nice.

For June/July make sure you have a tent and Deet. The bugs can be bad.

Have fun, it's a great trail!
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Jan Liteshoe and I hiked it. She wrote a book about our adventure It is available at

http://funfreedom.com/

It is hard, but to me it was worth every step. Mark Hudson aka Skeeter just finished. I think you can get in contact with him through the ALDHA. Mags on this site has an excellent journal somewhere. .

Hiked the northern part to the AT in 2004 to make sure we wanted to do a through in 2005 of the AT.

I can honestly say we'll never hike it again. There are a lot better trails out there, especially out west. I would only chose it if you felt like you wanted to stay on the east coast.

Gravity

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Definitely don't skip the Long Trail Tavern in Johnson.
    Unfortunately, I've heard that the Long Trail Tavern closed last year. I don't know if they've reopened (I'll ask Skeeter when I see him); I know they closed because of legal issues and slow business.

Alternately, perhaps I'll say that they closed because of something hikers did. Yeah, that might be fun.

It's a shame that it closed. It was a great stop for us in 2002.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

When I stayed at the Long Trail Tavern in 2004, the owner was having a tough time of it. His wife had recently passed and he wasn't holding up so well. But talking to the staff at the bar, his goodness was legendary. He let me and my crew sleep in the bar after closing. Great joint.

Don't let the fact that the Tavern is closed keep you outta Johnson. It's a small town that doesn't seem to offer much, but if you hang out around town long enough you will meet some cool people.

For a trail that is less than 300 miles long, it really gets into your blood. Good luck.
    Yahtzee

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    Don't let the fact that the Tavern is closed keep you outta Johnson. It's a small town that doesn't seem to offer much, but if you hang out around town long enough you will meet some cool people.
    I've got to second this. Very cool. Plus, it's the easiest hitch I've ever encountered.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Johnson is an easy hitch with a good sized grocery store. Perfect for the last 50 mile push north.

Too bad about the Long Trail Tavern. Any place with Long Trail Ale on tap is gonna be good...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I def plan on using a tent...I am bringing my Marmot Aura 3p, I know its a little heavy but me and my GF are going to split the weight when we eventually get around to hikeing toogether. I cant afford a one man tent right now so ill be carrying the xtra weight of the bigger tent although 6pds aint so bad. I dont plan on using deet. Bug screen for face and natural bug repelants are gonna be for me...I dont trust deet. I want to stay on the east coast and I have a love and facisination of VT one of the reasons I want to do the LT. I also want to do a thru hike and the LT seems the most pratical. Or do people suggest doing a section of the AT for a month instead...If i sectioned hiked for a month on the AT starting in mid late june through early august..what section would you suggest I do...where would you start and would you go NOBO or SOBO
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Vonfrick and I hiked it in June and July, it was her second time through. . . it can be wet and cold up there but it's a great trail and I'm looking forward to doing it again soon. . . - Hope for sunshine!. . .

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    If i sectioned hiked for a month on the AT starting in mid late june through early august..what section would you suggest I do...where would you start and would you go NOBO or SOBO
    Start at Katahdin - head south. . .

^^^ how cold does it get would a 40 degree bag be warm enough for me...are we talk in the 30-40 des or 10-20 ties... during June July Season
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

I hiked it in 2007 - here's my journal. I did an inside-out hike. Started at Rt. 4 andhiked north to Canada. Returned to Rt. 4 and hiked south to Mass. I recommend the time of year I hiked - mid-August to mid-September when it was warm (hot some nights) but vrtually no mosquitos. Of course Fall would also be nice.

As you're probably aware by now, the north is more strenuous and the last part from Rt. 15 to Canada is rather remote so make sure you plan your resupplys carefully.

Sorry I can't add more now but I'm on limited computer time away from home.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    ^^^ how cold does it get would a 40 degree bag be warm enough for me...are we talk in the 30-40 des or 10-20 ties... during June July Season
    40 degree bag is adequate for a late jUNE/July hike, but pack a warm hat and some long johns just in case.

I got some cold nights in early June, but by the 4th week in June temps should be pretty consistently warm.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

cookerhiker, I plan on going SOBO

^^^posted to early before I could finish typing oopss...as i was saying I am planning on going SOBO with the plan of starting the hike out with a fairley heavy pack with a weeks worth of food untill I can hike some of the remote northern places and get down south where re-supply is easier...My GF also plans on meeting me at the end of my hike and were going on vacation afterwards and figured it would be easier for her to pick me up on the MA/VT bourder

ps. cookerhiker nice journals read a couple the insight is very inlightning...ive been reading lots of journals lately I feel it is a good way for me to get mentally prepared for the journey to come

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Buddha just finished the Long Trail a week or two ago. Her journal is on Trailjournals.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I hiked it in 2007 - here's my journal. I did an inside-out hike. Started at Rt. 4 andhiked north to Canada. Returned to Rt. 4 and hiked south to Mass. I recommend the time of year I hiked - mid-August to mid-September when it was warm (hot some nights) but vrtually no mosquitos. Of course Fall would also be nice.

As you're probably aware by now, the north is more strenuous and the last part from Rt. 15 to Canada is rather remote so make sure you plan your resupplys carefully.

Sorry I can't add more now but I'm on limited computer time away from home.
    I thought I was the only person to hike the Long Trail this way. Your bag should be adequate. Take A-Trains's advice.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++