WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

thx dogwood im super xited bout it....could you give a bit more detail about getting lost at Jay's Peak...Im gonna make not of it in my thru hikers guide book and my end to end book...Did you miss the trail when you came out of the woods so you went up the mt to Jays peak...then down and realized the LT continued on top of Jay's peak...what is the best way to navigate across ski slopes..ill have a map and the books and a compass will this help any
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

When you are heading SOBO, when you first hit the slope, it kinda looks like you should just walk up it. The trail goes off to your right and continues up the slope roughly parallel. It's easy to miss where the trail goes back into the woods and just walk right up the ski slope.

Somewhere near the summit, the trail pops back out, once again on your RIGHT hand side. At this point, the summit building is a little bit up and to your left. The ski-slope/road goes up there but it also goes straight. If you were to go straight (instead of bearing left up to the lodge), you would come upon the spot where the trail re-enters the woods.

The most important thing to remember when going SOBO is that when you re-enter the woods to go back down the mountain, the road/slope should generally remain on your LEFT hand side. You enter the woods and then start going LEFT and down.

If you find yourself going down with the road/slop on your right hand side, you are probably going NOBO on the section of the trail you inadvertently skipped when walking up.

As you hike SOBO on the official LT you will come to a spot where you exit the woods at the base of one of the ski runs at Jay Peak. The official Long Tr. quickly renters the woods on the right to steeply ascend Jay Peak on a rocky somewhat eroded path. Instead, I followed the faint trail up the steep ski run that roughly parallels the LT going through the woods. This really isn't that big of a deal as at the top of the ski run the official LT pops back out of the woods near a gravel road, joins the faint trail up the ski run, and then the LT continues up to the left to near the summit building. Because I made the bonehead move(no reflection upon you JoeHiker) of not previewing the trail description or map I made the mistaken assumption at the top of the ski run that the official LT almost immediately started back down Jay Peak without barely a view from atop Jay Peak. I was incorrect on so many levels. If I had a compass to realize I was now heading back down in a northerly direction on the wrong side of Jay Peak, or I had read the trail description that states you hike right next to the summit building, or I had consulted the map showing the trail I would have just continued up to the summit building on the LT and realized I had just not hiked up to near the summit on the LT. When I got back to the bottom of the ski run, this time via the LT but having gone NOBO, I realized what I had done. So, back up the official LT SOBO to Jay Peak I hiked. Kinda funny but ridiculously inane at the same time. In hindsight it may have cost me about another hr. to reclimb up to Jay Peak, but I got a good preview of that ski run, so at winter time, when I went skiing down that same ski run, I recognized where I was. I had a good laugh thinking about it then. Wasn't so funny when I had to rehike up to Jay Peak at the end of that long hot Oct hiking day with no water though. WE live, and as I said previously, we learn - REGULARLY, consult the map and trail description! That's what you have maps and trail descriptions for - to help stay on course!

I don't want you to think this is some major issue lazy river road. You don't really need a compass to hike the LT. The tread is clearly marked, at least to most. Even if I had a compass that day I probably wouldn't have consulted it just as I didn't consult my map or trail description in the End to End - Hiking the Long Trail Handbook. Just realize the trail pops back into the woods at the base of the ski run. JoeHiker and myself must somehow be related as we come from the same gene pool or we ate lead paint chips as children. Personally, I blame it on the MSG in McDonalds food I ate as a child.

BTW, the summit/ski lift building was open, had running water, real bathrooms, electricity, and some furniture, including couches, which I promptly passed out on after having climbed up Jay Peak twice in one afternoon!

Default Twice

I've thru-hiked the LT twice, all I would say it that its tougher than anything along the AT south of New Hampshire, is wet, muddy, and learn to love stinging nettles...

It is a absolutely beautiful trail that I remember like yesterday. You are in for a treat! All I would say it terms of advice is years ago everyone basically did the same thing in terms of resupply (heading nobo):
    - Manchester Center - mile 50ish
    - Rutland/Inn at Long Trail - mile 100ish
    - Jonesville/Richmond - mile 185ish
    - Johnson - mile 220ish

But the trail between Killington and Jonesville is a long way, and tough going and it takes some hikers 6-7 days to cover those 80 odd miles, I would strongly recommend going into a place like Middlebury, Bristol or Waitsfield for food, on my first hike I just did the big carry, but during my second hitched into Bristol, much better!

Happy Trails

Thx stranger I deff plan on doing that resupply in Bristol...I plan on going SOBO so im just reversing it but I had what you said in mind (thanks to mags website, thanks mags). IM going to try and even add another re-supply in just bc I have 31 days to hike the trail and im going to take my time. Any suggestions on a good place to take an xtra zero or two or must see places, (im dedicating an entire day to the LT Brewery and really treating my self that day) must do side trails. I want it to be a 29-31 day hike bc im meeting my GF in the South terminus on day 31.
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Ok So im bringing this thread back from darks of the dungeons. Since last time I have come a long way. My essentials are

ULA Catalyst
    WBBB 1.7 DBL with woopies and tree strap suspension
    The Burrow Top Quilt
    Winter Ptarmigan Under Quilt

Got most of the ins and outs in regards to gear. Ursack Minor, Cascade trail runners (which I love), my re-supply stops. Im still trying to decide if I want to go NOBO or SOBO. I can choose which ever way I want I just dont know which one? Any one else going to be on the trail between June 22 and July 30th. Im giving my self plenty of time to doo this hike and plan on enjoying every step. Just about two more months.

I have to say I really liked going SOBO. You get the hard part over first. Not only the hard terrain but the hard part of getting all the way up there. Once you are done, you are in Massachusetts, within cab distance of major train stations.

I'm starting from Williamstown on June 8th

Quote Originally Posted by moon_whisperer View Post
    I'm starting from Williamstown on June 8th
    Have a great hike. . . the Long Trail is beautifully different in many ways. . . .

Default Done it twice, some thoughts...and the LT Tavern is back open

I've made this trip twice, both nobo, but many years ago now. The following stands out for me about the Long Trail:

- it's the hardest continuous walk I've ever done physically, specifically the 170 miles from Killington to Canada
    - it's the most beautiful walk I've ever done, outside of New Zealand
    - I wouldn't attempt the push from Killington to Richmond/Jonesville without resupply...I would go into Waitsfield or Bristol, it's about 80 miles and a long 80
    - Absolutely bring a tent, the bugs can be crazy, I slept in my tent every night on my first hike, even with completely empty shelters, and nearly every night on my second hike
    - Consider going Sobo, the last 100 miles will seem alot easier, if you go Nobo, the trail gets harder as you get stronger, so you might not ever feel "strong"
    - Bring your wallet, there are no $40 motel rooms in Vermont, more like $100 B&B's
    - I would strongly suggest low gaiters to combat the mud
    - Treat your water, many "creeks" in Vermont flow from beaver ponds a few miles away!
    - North Troy isn't easy to get to, but there are some shuttle services listed in the end-to-enders guide, you can take a train or bus to Burlington

In terms of resupply, I would recommend the following:
    - Manchester Center
    - Killington / Rutland
    - Waitsfield
    - Jonesville / Richmond
    - Johnson

I would allow 3.5 weeks for this trip, but this depends on fitness, but the LT is a tough trail...this just means you might move slower than normal, but it's well worth it.

Have Fun!

Oh...you better like getting wet haha

Sorry for the double up posts, somehow I thought they were different treads, perhaps too many beers

I live near the trail by Manchester, VT. If I am around when you come through here just give me a call, if you have a cell on you, and I can come and get you and show you where everything is in town. I am in Maine for a week around July 19th. I am thru-hiking myself in August so would love to hear how the SOBO route was for you.

Bleemus
    East Dorset, VT

802 342 3313

I did the Long Trail last year starting in mid July. Thought it was going to be hot and dry but as we all know that doesn't really seem to happen. I would say go North. I liked using the easy part in the beginning to get up to speed. Also you run into the AT hikers who really do have some great suggestions by the time that they hit VT. also the spectacular views near the end gave me at least that little boost i needed to push for the end. Ultimately its more about where you want to end. Have a great hike and good luck.

Hey Bleemus - I'll be southbound in August. If you are going north (I think you said so somewhere), I'll likely run into you.

I'll be section hiking at various times this summer. It would be nice to meet you all!

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

NOBO E2E last fall from sept 22 to oct 12. It was an amazing (-ly hard) trail! Have fun and be sure to get to as many summits as possible, especially Belvedere. THis is where I took some of my best pictures.

And whether to go NOBO or SOBO? This is all preference.. Hard then easy, or easy then hard..? For me, going through the toughest parts in the north made Journey's End that much better. It is, afterall, called JOURNEY'S END for a reason...

Oh and be sure to treat or filter water. I payed the consequences with "G." Its no fun... Hence forth i will forever treat my water.. 8 ))

Check out my LT gallery

Hiked the trail south in Oct. long ago and loved it.
    10 years later north in June. Already hot, humid and springs drying up.
    Seemed harder the second time.
    Still, it was a great lttle walk.
    There was a B&B in Richmond that was hiker friendly and had a great breakfast.

Every year is different as last summer proved.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    Hiked the trail south in Oct. long ago and loved it.
    10 years later north in June. Already hot, humid and springs drying up.
    Seemed harder the second time.
    Still, it was a great lttle walk.
    There was a B&B in Richmond that was hiker friendly and had a great breakfast.

Every year is different as last summer proved.
    Was the Bed and Breakfast the "pumpkin inn" or something like this with the giant wood stove in the kitchen? If so, I stayed here as well and they were very friendly. The man drove me to the TH the next morning after one of the best breakfasts ive ever had with maple syrup from their own back year!! MMM i can taste it now..

I'd remember if I saw it but some of that does sound familiar.

Great trail !

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++