WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a pack

Default Choosing a pack

I'm looking to buy my first pack. It will be mostly used on 3-7 day hikes. I'm putting a little more emphasis on space/size right now until I have some more time/experience to trim down my packing list (I'm probably going to carry more early on and gradually figure out what can stay at home).

I'm looking at the following and would appreciate any comments or recommendations as to which would be the best purchase:

REI Flash 65
    REI Ridgeline 65
    Gregory Z65
    Osprey Atmos 65
    Osprey Aether 70
    Osprey Aether 85

First, before you buy any pack, take all your other gear to you local outfitter and practice loading up the various packs you are considering.

Having said that, Gregory and Osprey packs are both quality and popular packs. You will not be disappointed in either. House brand packs like the REI will certainly do the job, and be cheaper.

I know that the Flash 65 won the Backpacker Magazine 2009 Editor's Choice Award. You can youtube a video review from them on it and it seems pretty solid

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53872

I started the very same thread when I signed up for WB...read through it lots of good info...im still deciding and have it narrowed down to the

ULA Catalyst http://www.ula-equipment.com/
    Gregory Baltoro 70
    Osprey Argon 70
    Osprey Aether 70

These are the four im deciding on...and like you plan on buying a big bag at first untill i get acclamated and can hike lighter

I did not like the Osprey Atmos 65 bc heard it knocks you in the head while you hike

Welcom to WB and happy trails to you
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Hike smarter, not harder.

Buy once, buy ULA.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Having owned or tried a lot of packs, I have to say I hated the new REI Flash 65. I really really wanted to like it. Oh well. Personal opinion and YMMV.

The Osprey Aether series is good, but I would get the Aether 60 over the larger packs. The 85 is really too big for the AT except in serious winter. (And I sold my 60 because it was too big.)

The ULA packs are great. Also check Gossamer Gear and Six Moon Designs. I got the Starlite on '04 and love it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Is the ULA catalyst to big for the AT/LT hikes...I plan on end to ending the LT this summer. I fear the catalyst is to small but then again it will force me to pack lighter and to really evaluate my gear. I plan on going SOBO so I plan to start off with a fairly heavy load du to lack of resupply in the N. of the LT
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Is the ULA catalyst to big for the AT/LT hikes...I plan on end to ending the LT this summer. I fear the catalyst is to small but then again it will force me to pack lighter and to really evaluate my gear. I plan on going SOBO so I plan to start off with a fairly heavy load du to lack of resupply in the N. of the LT
    The Catalyst is a very popular choice amongst thru-hikers. Not only for it's comfort, but roominess as well. You should have plenty of room in it for and end to end of the LT, as long as you don't try to carry everything but the proverbial kitchen sink.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by spreadx1 View Post
    I'm looking to buy my first pack. It will be mostly used on 3-7 day hikes. I'm putting a little more emphasis on space/size right now until I have some more time/experience to trim down my packing list (I'm probably going to carry more early on and gradually figure out what can stay at home).

I'm looking at the following and would appreciate any comments or recommendations as to which would be the best purchase:

REI Flash 65
    REI Ridgeline 65
    Gregory Z65
    Osprey Atmos 65
    Osprey Aether 70
    Osprey Aether 85
    to Whiteblaze! Nice to see another Charlottean here.

I carried the Flash 65's predecesor and was happy with it until I found ULA and have been in a Catalyst ever since. However, the Flash 65 has won awards and has good stuff said about it. It's also a good, economical pack, as is the Ridgeline 65. Don't know much about Gregory packs, but I have a buddy that carries the Osprey Aether 85. This pack is huge! If you want to go with an Aether series pack, the 70 might be a good compromise. Best bet is to round up all your gear, take it with you to an outfitter (Great Outdoor Provision Co, Jesse Brown's, REI, etc) and try some packs out. I've got a friend who works at the REI in Pineville who won't steer you wrong. If you want his name, PM me and I'll give it to you. And if you're intereted in checking out a ULA pack, you can check out my Catalyst some time if you like. Good luck on your quest for the right pack.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Buy once, buy ULA.
    Or buy a second time and buy ULA.

Like me...

Images

Hey matt. I have the Aether 70 overall realy like the pack. It is really comfy. What I dont like about it is the weight, it also is pretty pricey. If you are confident that you can keep your total weight below 30 take a look at the ULA packs. Unfortunately there are only a couple places that sell them Mt Rogers outfitters being one, and I think ULA is not taking orders right now.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

what is the max load a ULA Catalyst can carry...the website says 40...im worried I wont be albe to get my load down to 40 for my LT end to end this summer...the two I am looking at are the
    Osprey Argon 70
    or the
    Gregory Baltoro 70

how do these two hold up to a catalyst

P.S. The Baltoro 70 and Osprey ARgon 70 seem to be about the same size as the catalyst but can carry a heavier load according to the website...why is this

We had two Gregory packs blow out on us on our thru-hike last year. They are no longer made in the USA and do not have the quality construction of yester-year.

We are now ULA and Gossamer Gear fans. Our lightweight Mariposa made it the whole way to Maine and could make it again - it still looks brand new. We have always taken extra care with our packs, especially the lightweight ones - We do not site on them. We put the pack on/off by using the haul loop. We do not pack more weight than is recommended for the pack. And we avoid bushwhacking with Gossomer Gear packs - they are not made to take the abuse of a pack 2-5 pounds heavier.

Our ULA pack does not have a ton of miles on it yet, but we know it will go the distance. It is one of the more popular packs used on the PCT.

Hike smarter, not harder.

My Catalyst is so big I rarely use it; it just encourages me to carry a bunch of crap I don't really need. I grab my Circuit a lot more often, and just picked up a Conduit for weekend trips. The thing to remember about ULA is that they are lightweight packs, unlike Gregory, so they are made to carry less weight. They can be occasionally abused in this manner, unlike a lot of ultralight packs. And there is nothing cooler than calling about a ULA pack, and the guy who is sewing them in his garage answers the phone, and your questions.

Like royalusa said, I also have a Mariposa that is a great pack, but as mentioned, it does require a different skill set. You don't just throw everything and the kitchen sink in one and stagger down the trail.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

considering the LT will be my first end to end hike ever...i think im going to go with the Osprey Argon 70...im not ready to be an ultra lighter...if ive been reading post right...what ive heard and understand about the ULA packs is that it takes a more experienced hiker to use one...better packing skills...lighter gear...and more experience

Anyone can carry a lighter weight pack, regardless of experience level, you just have to follow the guidelines for the recommended carry weight and don't abuse the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    I did not like the Osprey Atmos 65 bc heard it knocks you in the head while you hike
    I carried the Atmos 65 on the PCT last year. I'm trying to figure out how it could knock you in the head. Theoretically one of my friends could have picked it up and hit me on the head with it, and they're the kind of people who would do something like that. But I never had a problem while wearing it.

I think the Aether 85, while a good pack, is really too big ('cause chances are you'll figure out a way too fill it with stuff).

The Aether 70 is a good compromise. Still pretty roomy, but not crazy big. I loved the Atmos 65, but I did have to make some decisions regarding what I wasn't going to carry, and it took some doing to fit what I did want to bring.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

I used the Atmos 65 this year and loved it. The only complaint from every thru hiker who had one (including me) was the mesh hipbelt pockets began to fray, get holes, and wear out almost immediately.

When will Osprey ditch this crappy mesh material? We may never know..............

There are lots of good suggestions here, BUT fit is a very personal thing. Ask the packfitter/sales person about their backpacking experience and preferences, load up each prospect with your gear and some sandbags (simulate food/fuel/water weight). Make it heavy! Then hike around the store for at least 1/2 hour per pack and see what feels right. Buy that pack, or rent it for a trial run. If you buy at REI, be prepared to return it if it does not work on the trail. In any event, make sure it fits you right.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++