WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default Please tell me its been raining in NJ and NY

9 days and counting, hoping for water along the trail beginning at DWG and heading north....thanks Emerald for the links but I'm hoping news from someone who's laid eyes on the springs.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

wed thru sat this week are supposed to be rainy.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    9 days and counting, hoping for water along the trail beginning at DWG and heading north....thanks Emerald for the links but I'm hoping news from someone who's laid eyes on the springs.
    I've seen the weather radar for that area recently. There has been a good amount of rain. I'll be hiking for 3-4 days from N. of the Hudson to just the other side of West Mountain. It looks like we'll miss each other, but it's nice to know another WB-er will be hiking in the same state as me. If you haven't gotten in touch with Sasquatch, do so. He'll be helping me with shuttling and I hope to be able to repay him with a good meal. River1 lives S. of the Hudson (I forgot which town), Sasquatch lives in Pawling.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I'll probably still be in NJ and you'll be in CT by the time I get to NY easily! Thanks for the good new on the water.
    I def. need a shuttle when I get near Pawling back to Bear Mountain Bridge, so fingers crossed on that.
    Safe hiking to ya!

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    I'll probably still be in NJ and you'll be in CT by the time I get to NY easily! Thanks for the good new on the water.
    I def. need a shuttle when I get near Pawling back to Bear Mountain Bridge, so fingers crossed on that.
    Safe hiking to ya!
    I'm heading south, but I'll still miss you based on your schedule.
    Are you doing sections northward from NJ?. The Green and White mountains are my stomping grounds, so if I'm bored and you're up in my neck of the woods (I consider anything north of NY to be "my neck of the woods") I might just show up with some magic.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Default woohoo on the magic

Yes we begin at DWG a week from this coming Friday and head north until either we are tired of walking or out of time. We've got 16 days to hike so maybe if the God of the joints is willing may actually set foot in CT; that would be quite a feet (intended) for us. Then we'll take a couple of days to visit the sights in the area like West Point, the Roosevelt Mansion on the Hudson, and some of the Revolutionary War sites.

Images

The Graymoor ballfield shelter has a tap (and cold-water shower also).

Dennytown Road Group Campsite, there's a conrete hut at the parking lot with a tap with very clean, cool water.

If you are at Fahenstock State Park, get water from the tap at the park HQ on the north side of 301. There's water in the campground also but it's very tan because of the pipes there. Since the Park HQ is about a mile off the trail, you might want to keep on until Shenandoah or RPH.

Shenandoah Tenting Area has a hand-crank well with nice clean water.

You may want to water up before Morgan-Stewart (such as the tap on the Danny's Pizza building 0.3 south of the trail -- what ALDHA Companion calls East -- on NY52 in Stormville) because the notice there says the water sometimes tests for "low levels of general chloriform".

It's kinda the Dirty Harry of AT wells.

Images

Thanks for all the info! I'm jotted it down for the might come in handy list.

i was out there last weekend myself. some of the road crossings in ny have bottled water tucked out of sight of the road , but there is plenty of water running

Images

Default Middle Atlantic River Forecast Center

Images

well woohoo looks like it's raining up there!
    shows i'd rather hike in the rain than carry lots of water

Images

Default NWS - Unionville, NY report

I wouldn't get too excited about hiking in the rain.

Images

Default well it was good news

that angels are stashing some water along the route.

++ New Posts ++