WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pollinators

Images

Default Pollinators

Click on Buzz builds in Berks over dwindling number of bees and butterflies to learn about what's become of our pollinators, why you should care and what you can do about it.

Thank you for the link and helping me to bee more aware

Images

You're welcome. The local bees are aware of my goldenrod and asters this 1st day of autumn.

First I heard of a problem with butterflies; my father raises honeybees, so I've known about that problem. Just the other day I read something at the library, I believe in a science magazine, in which a bee expert had a theory, went something like this: Inbreeding. We have reduced the genetic diversity as a result of breeding bees, thereby reducing their natural resistance. I also read somewhere else that some believe it would be NOT a bad idea to mate the Euro with the Africanized honeybee, because they seem to be more resistant to problems facing the Euro.

Images

You likely know more about bees than most who post here. Could you call to our attention some food crops which depend upon bees for pollination?

I had a hive that moved in a big tree with a small hollow spring before last in March. They stuck around until May and I assumed left.
    Again this past spring in April while I was working in the garden a swarm passed over the garden and moved in again. Very interesting to watch.
    Again in May they "left" just as my garden began to bloom.
    I used no pesticide in the garden as it wasn't needed.
    There are 3 ponds very close by so I don't think it was a water problem.
    Never saw any dead bees.
    It is courious to me but don't know much about their habits.
    Wish I could get them to hang around, the garden would benifit.

Images

Quite a few things people would need to learn to do without were it not for pollinators.

I find them fascinating, especially bees. I saw a thing not to long ago where there are bee keepers in New York City on top of buildings. It's kind of getting to be a big thing there.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    You likely know more about bees than most who post here. Could you call to our attention some food crops which depend upon bees for pollination?
    I'm no expert, but I'm very interested in insects, espeically the social ones. As you can see from MrHuges post they do a lot, but I wonder if we really need them as pollinators; they are, after all, an introduced species (some might say invasive -- in some respects). But since they give us honey, which we can't get from the other indigenous pollinators we accept them.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhughes1982 View Post
    I find them fascinating, especially bees. I saw a thing not to long ago where there are bee keepers in New York City on top of buildings. It's kind of getting to be a big thing there.
    I share your fascination. Here are some other links
    http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/nativebee.html

http://www.gpnc.org/honeybee.htm

Thanks for the links John. Very imformative

Images

Do you garden with native plants? It's one of the next logical steps once someone realizes the importance of pollinators to man.

I am about to begin a series of posts on native plants to attract pollinators and local resources. With a little prodding, maybe John will post some of his favorites which are adapted to his location.

If we are lucky, others will join in too.

Images

Default White Wood Aster

White wood aster is a common native plant found throughout the Appalachians. Now blooming, it draws quite an audience of pollinators. I like to pause when I pass them to watch the bees, wasps and other insects which visit my little oasis.

It's an easy plant to grow. Almost too easy. You will have no problem whatsoever recruiting volunteers.

Images

Default Mengel NHS Report

Just back from a Mengel Natural History Society meeting at Nolde Forest EEC where a good time was had by all in attendance.

Typically, these meetings open with people sharing recent sightings. Since I don't think there were as many Baird members present as sometimes is the case, we didn't hear many bird sightings, but learned of both good and bad news about butterflies.

Club president Ryan Woolwine mentioned although local butterfly enthusiasts all are in agreement butterfly numbers are way down, Berks recorded a new record for total species sighted in 2009. He attributed the new record to more people spending more time looking.

Members involved with native plant restorations had leftover plants to distribute at the 1st annual fall plant exchange. I brought home a new species of native goldenrod to try out in my sunny, south-facing bed.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I'm no expert, but I'm very interested in insects, espeically the social ones. As you can see from MrHuges post they do a lot, but I wonder if we really need them as pollinators; they are, after all, an introduced species (some might say invasive -- in some respects). But since they give us honey, which we can't get from the other indigenous pollinators we accept them.

I share your fascination. Here are some other links
    http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/nativebee.html

http://www.gpnc.org/honeybee.htm
    Actually, since we grow so much I guess we do need them to support our multi-billion dollar crops, just one example are the Almonds of California.

Seems like CCD is still a problem: http://www.earthfiles.com/news.php?I...ry=Environment

Many of these crops are not native, so it requires non-native species to support them.

Images

The goldenrod mentioned earlier is doing fine and I look forward to its flowering. I'm expecting native pollinators to be pleased.

Saw one of these in my garden this morning. At least it looked like that, but there's over 20,000 species of bee and many of them look very similar.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2007/08/...een-sweat-bee/

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Saw one of these in my garden this morning. At least it looked like that, but there's over 20,000 species of bee and many of them look very similar.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2007/08/...een-sweat-bee/
    I can't get it to work, but found it here (look at bottom photo) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halictidae

http://www.everythingabout.net/artic...ees/sweat_bee/

Images

The range of pollinators that show up when just a few natives are planted in one's backyard is surprising. I believe strongly we can accomplish much toward retaining and enhancing biodiversity within arm's length right in America's backyards.

Creating habitat for pollinators, observing them and/or attempting to identify them is not only doing something good for the environment, it's an economical and convenient way to stay connected with the natural world.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++