WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Post Recipes Here!

I thought it might be nice to a have a place to share recipes. I'm going to try DebW's yam leather recipe today, but hers is the only recipe I can seem to find in the forum! Maybe I am missing something. But if I'm not, I'd like to invite Sgt Rock to post his jerky recipe, The Weasel to post his dried hamburger recipe, and anyone else to post their own favorites. Then, anyone that tries the recipes posted can give suggestions for variations etc. Doesn't that sound fun?

XOXO

Images

Default Dried Hamburger/Dried Soy "Hamburger"

Recipe for dehydrated hamburger:

(1) Brown 1# of very lean ground chuck, chopping with a spatula into crumbles as it browns. Drain liquid from pan and place remaining meat evenly onto pan lined with paper towels to drain remaining fat.

(2) Put meat into mixing bowl. Add 1/4 to 1/3 cup Worchestershire or Soy sauce, 1 tbsp dried minced onion, 1 tsp (or to taste) garlic powder (NOT minced garlic or fresh), and (optional) 1 tsp black pepper. Spices add very deep flavor, and may be omitted or changed, but this is a very flavorful mixture. The W'chestershire or Soy is ESSENTIAL as a preservative, and I think the garlic helps too.

(3) Mix mixture thoroughly. Put in commercial dehydrator (boo!) or spread into very small pieces on a cookie sheet covered with saran wrap in oven. Set temp for 140 degrees (check with thermometer - oven guages are ALWAYS wrong), and prop door open about 1 inch to permit moist air to flow out.

(4) Dry for about 6 hours or until hamburger pellets are very dark brown and VERY hard. Put into Ziploc bag while still warm.

(5) To rehydrate, put in cook water at start of food (noodles, pasta, rice, etc) preparation and turn stove on. Hamburger should be ready and soft when the rest of the meal is. It's important to make sure the pellets are no larger than small peas, so spread them carefully on the cookie sheet at the beginning.

For "soy", use Meadowbrook Farms "hamburger substitute" that comes in a tube (NOT the "crumbles" in a large bag). Recipe is the same except no need to cook...mix and dry. This is what I (as a vegan) use.

Shelf life in airsealed ziplocs is at least 6 months.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

Wow! I'm suprised there aren't many posts here. I just found this post! Here are some of my favorite meals...

---Thanksgiving Dinner All Year!---

I use a MSR Titan Cookset which is 2 pots and a frypan/lid.

-Cook Stove-Top Stuffing in Big Pot (now your eating bowl).
    -Cook Instant Potatoes in litte Pot (Transfer into Big pot next to stuffing when done).
    -Cook packet of turkey gravy with a can of chicken in small pot (no need to rinse), pour over potatoes & stuffing.
    -Rinse Small Pot & Make water for hot beverage (use small pot as a mug).

(Eat Walnuts, Hazelnuts, & Dried Cranberries while cooking. Pack a good desert for after like a mini "tabletop" apple-pie!)

I can assure you that you will feel like a million bucks after this trail-feast, and feel like you just ate out at a restaurant!

---Super Oatmeal/Killer Pancakes---

Regular old instant oatmeal or instant pancake mix with:

- Dried fruits (strawberries, apples, mango etc.)
    - Spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, mace)
    - Brown Sugar and Real Maple Syrup. Jam is great too.

Diced fresh fruit is a luxury. Slab of butter never hurts either.

---Hell's Chex Mix---

Make chex mix according to box instructions and add cayenne pepper to taste. I prefer all cashews over mixed nuts. I can eat pounds of this stuff. It's really bad.

Come on now, everyone share!

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

Default Yogurt leather

Not really a recipe, but something to consider for people dehydrating their own stuff:

We made "yogurt leathers" by mixing Strawberry yogurt, real strawberries, banana yogurt and hunks of banana in a blender, poured it onto a fruit-roll-up tray in the dehydrator and let it go for about 8 hours,until it's leathery and comes off in one sheet. We vacuum-packed them and the kept terrific with no refrigeration or spoiling, and were a yummy, sweet treat on the trail when we were craving ice cream or dairy.

Oh yeah, re: Weasels comment- we did over 20 pounds of hamburger and it was terrific the whole way, we added those little packets of dried taco seasoing to ours and it really gave the hamburger nice flavor. We are still using the leftovers
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

Images

Default Thanksgiving dinner

As a variation on the Thanksgiving theme, it works well to mix the stuffing mix, instant mashed potatoes, and gravy packet and rehydrate it all together. Tastes good. I've also done mixtures of stuffing mix and instant brown rice - you taste the spices of the stuffing but get the bulk and consistency of brown rice. Try adding dried cranberries too.

Images

Default Yam leather

I had posted this under another thread, but will repeat here. Yam leather is one of my favorite snacks, even at home. Reminds me of pumpkin pie.

Peel and boiled yams, mash with potato masher, add some brown sugar (about 1 Tbsp per yam), some crushed pecans (a few Tbsp ground in blender), and some spices (pumpkin-pie type spices, like allspice or cloves). Dry on a lightly oiled fruit-leather tray. The trick is to stop the dehydrator while the leather is still somewhat soft and chewy.

Here's a good lunch idea:

Hummus
    Tortillas
    Raw Carrots

Prepare Hummus, smear on tortilla, add some chunks of raw carrots. Wrap and enjoy!

Great treat for the taste buds when you want a different texture (ie crunchy) other than the usually noodles and sauce fare.

If you are worried about getting more calories, adding olive oil to the hummus will take care of that need. Olive oil is usually added anyway, but not necessary. There are several dry mixes in grocery stores, but I have also noticed that many of the larger grocers had the real stuff as well.

Or try this for dinner:

Any Pasta
    Olive oil
    Fresh garlic
    Oregano

Cook pasta. drain. add oil, garlic and seasoning. Enjoy! I would usually carry a loaf of bread that would hold up better in my pack and dip that in the olive oil mix that was in the bottom of my pan.

Here's another idea:

Pasta (small shells are good)
    Pepperoni
    Onion
    Fresh garlic
    Olive oil
    Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing (dry, optional)

Cook and drain Pasta. Pour some olive oil in pan (don't need much), throw in diced pepperoni, cut up some onion and fresh garlic and mix it together.

If you want, you can add a packet of (powdered) Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing for extra flavor.

You don't need a cutting board for any of this. Just cut slivers of onion and garlic right into the pot. For the pepperoni, don't get the kind that you put on a pizza, get the pepperoni sticks. Easier to cut. Or leave it out if you are a vegetarian.

I found that these types of meals had more cals. than the regular Mac and Cheese or Lipton's type meals. Taste better too.

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

The pepperoni and ranch dressing pasta sounds interesting. One thing I found that I love is using grilled peppers that are peeled chopped and stored in olive oil. You can find them in most food stores. Transfer them out of the glass jar into some type of lightweight plastic bottle (similar to what you would transfer your peanut butter into. Add these to the olive oil, garlic, onions, hot chili flakes, and lots of black pepper. Toss with the pasta and liberally cover with parmesean cheese. you can add canned chicken, pepperoni, or any othr type of sausage that you like as well. Toss in fresh or dried basil or oregano to tweak the flavor if you wish. Definetly a filling meal to keep you warm through the night.

I do the olive oil - bread method as well. You can also pour some olive oil in a pan, throw in a couple crushed cloves of garlic, and heat the oil up until you smell the garlic, then kill the flame. Instant garlic infused oil! You can also put this straight on pasta with black pepper and parmesean cheese.

I plan to do the following for nightly meals over a six day period between re-supplying.

1.)Perishable food. Grinders, Chicken Fingers, etc carried onto the trail.
    2.)Pasta/rice/mashed taters meal.
    3.)Pasta/rice/mashed taters meal.
    4.)Pasta/rice/mashed taters meal.
    5.)Big hearty thanksgiving type meal to satisfy picky end of week appetite using premium items that I hold out on.
    6.)Whatever's left, come morning I'll be going to town to gorge.
    7.)Gorge on town food.

Default tuna couscous

this one comes from a book...I forget which one

1 cup cous cous
    3tbs. powdered milk
    4tbs. soup mix (cream of spinach or something)
    1 foil packet tuna
    3/4 cup water

add the water about an hour before lunch and let in rehydrate. Great in a tortilla or by itself. Oh for those of you who remember I am a veggie I should have qualified...I used to be ovo latco but now I eat fish too. Anyways try it...it's good

Originally posted by RagingHampster
    The pepperoni and ranch dressing pasta sounds interesting. One thing I found that I love is using grilled peppers that are peeled chopped and stored in olive oil.
    I usually carried a green pepper (raw) as well to add to that pasta dish, but grilled peppers sounds great! I'll have to try that. Thanks

Default PINA COLADA LEATHER!

I just made this up yesterday. Must say, yogurt leathers are DELISH! I haven't even been adding any fresh fruit and they turn out great.

You need:

1 can pineapple
    1 can (about same size) unsweetened lite coconut milk
    Blender
    Dehydrator w/ fruit leather sheets
    Cooking Spray

Blend pineapple and coconut milk.

Lightly spray fruit leather sheets, pour mixture, and dehydrate! (I did 105F for about 18 hours, which may have been a tad long.)

yum yum yummy!
    "you'll never fly as the crow flies
    get used to a country mile
    when you're learning to face
    the path at your pace
    every choice is worth your while"

-Indigo Girls

++ New Posts ++