WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wool Pants

I Gotta Get out of Here!! Foyt20's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by njordan2 View Post
    Google the phrase "Swedish wool pants" and you find the wool pants I wear deer hunting and hiking in the cold. I have had my pair for about 10 years and they are fantastic. They cost about $10 then, although now I see them going for upwards of $30 or $40. The pants are military surplus and generally have never been worn. The pair I have has the date on the inside of the waist band as 1939. Yes, 70 years old!

They have 4 pockets: two slash pockets in the front and two cargo pockets on the side. In standard European fashion there are no back pockets. The ankles have leather straps to sinch them down and clips to hold gators or something. I removed the clips. They have suspendor buttons on the waist and I recommend suspenders with them. That is my only complaint; the crotch of the pants is very long, like the waist is supposed to be on your belly, like the way old people wear pants. Other than that they are great, are very sturdy, warm and cheap. Also, I wear thin polypro or silk long johns with them, as I do any wool pants.
    I had a pair of those that lasted me through a lot of years camping as a Boy Scout. Of course their weren't any pairs that fit me though until I was older, so just a lot of folding and trimming

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I use these pants. Sounds like the pants you described.
    Thanks for the link, Mags. I just ordered a pair; we'll see how they are.
    They also have white Swedish cotton wind parkas, a classic for cold winter weather http://www.rddusa.com/Swedish-Wind-P...-Clothing.html
    Their shipping is kind of expensive ($17 for a $22 order).

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Thanks for the link, Mags. I just ordered a pair; we'll see how they are.
    They also have white Swedish cotton wind parkas, a classic for cold winter weather http://www.rddusa.com/Swedish-Wind-P...-Clothing.html
    Their shipping is kind of expensive ($17 for a $22 order).
    That's a problem with many surplus dealers I find. I also noticed that surplus dealers tend to swap in something similar than what is on their website.

e.g. A thin pair of pants may come back with a similar, but, thicker pair of pants. They probably buy in bulk and sell from one batch.

Good luck. I hope they work for you. I've been pleased with mine (for cold, dry conditions usually found in CO winters. PNW? Smokies? I wouldn't use 'em) and they sound identical to what you described.

ps. seems the parka is Ventile cotton? Still popular in Europe. Some swear by it for winter use. Never used it myself.
    Last edited by Mags; 09-24-2009 at 15:35.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

After processing everyone's comments I think I will purchase a pair of Smart Wool medium weight base layer (top and bottom) to wear under my convertible North Face Paramount Pants. Any experience with these?

I would not want to sleep out overnight in my current base layer in under 20 degrees. It's a thin nylon that was supposed to be miracle wear, but I have not been impressed. I look great in it though!

Also I looked at some heavy wool pants today in an outdoor store. No way would I hike in those. They weighed a ton, and they were very bulky. I can't imagine them wet.

I'm preparing for monthly hikes that we have planned for the winter. Each trip will be for one or two nights, so we can optimize our gear for the weather.

When it gets REALLY cold: below say 20 degrees, you'll wish like heck you had wool pants. I wear them from November on into the Spring months, and was very glad I had them when stuck in a snow storm on Mt rogers with 15 degree temp and wind blowing 25-30 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpInTheLake View Post
    I'm preparing for monthly hikes that we have planned for the winter. Each trip will be for one or two nights, so we can optimize our gear for the weather.
    Different tools for different jobs. And sometimes what works for another person does not work for another.

Good luck..and have fun!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I use wool pants (military surplus) when I ski tour. Wind resistant, very breathable and repels the mainly fluffy snow I see in Colorado. Love 'em.
    Would you classify those as medium or heavy weight. What I looked at today was made by Columbia Sportswear. They were incredibly heavy and bulky. I will keep my eyes open for a pair of wool pants with a reasonable weight. I like to be comfortable, especially in camp.

Would you classify those as medium or heavy weight. What I looked at today was made by Columbia Sportswear. They were incredibly heavy and bulky. I will keep my eyes open for a pair of wool pants with a reasonable weight. I like to be comfortable, especially in camp.

If you are looking for CAMP clothes (as opposed to active wear) you can't go wrong with army liner pants.

They are borderline "fugly", but are very warm and functional. Essentially light quilted pants (nylon shell/ with a synthetic fill) for your legs. They come up to your shin or so (meant to be worn with combat boots) and get on and off VERY easily. Many pairs of these have buttons on the sides for even easier on/off functionality. They do run large, so order a size smaller than what you normally wear. You can sometimes luck out and find a "long" pair that comes down to a normal person's ankle.
    http://snipurl.com/s2oqg [www_rddusa_com]

If you have some sewing skills, you can really customize them (e.g. sew elastic bands on the bottom for a tighter seal). I wear these pants on many camping trips and sometimes on social backpacks. Warm, light, cheap, functional. (I tend to hike all day rather than hang out in camp when solo. On social trips? Not so much)

As for wool pants....

Honestly, I never wear wool pants except for ski touring for the reasons I listed in Colorado's dry, cold, winter climate. They are light ones (more like thin uniform pants than say, hunting pants).

Most of my hiking is in shorts with the long underwear combo. As others mentioned, if I get cold while moving, I throw on rain pants/long underwear.
    Last edited by Mags; 09-25-2009 at 00:10.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Last year I did a hike in the Smoky Mountains while the high temps were in the teens. I wore my North Face convertible pants and I was very cold. I am thinking about some wool pants for hiking.

Any advice on yes or no, brands etc. The Filsons look great.
    Wool pants are heavy - MUCH heavier when wet - AND they dry more slowly than their comparable weight in fleece. They are more durable than fleece, but less so than nylon. I used them back in the '70s and '80s. I've recently made the switch back (sometimes, at least) to wool - but only in underwear. It doesn't stink as much as poly and is more comfortable when things get warm.
    Nylon is still my choice for an outer layer. As someone above mentioned, experiment with undergarments. The pants should be fine for anything short of a whiteout.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Last year I did a hike in the Smoky Mountains while the high temps were in the teens. I wore my North Face convertible pants and I was very cold. I am thinking about some wool pants for hiking.

Any advice on yes or no, brands etc. The Filsons look great.
    I am a huge wool underwear and sweater fan but haven't found wool pants that I am happy with yet. I find most hunting type wool pants too heavy. I keep looking in thrift stores though for wool pants that might work.

My current mode is light wool sweater and breathable nylon hiking shorts, which is what I wear every day now even when not hiking. Then for extra layers polyester fleece pants and top and wind/rain shells.

If you are looking for CAMP clothes (as opposed to active wear) you can't go wrong with army liner pants.
    I am definitely looking for hiking wear. And wool base layers with synthetic outerwear are making a lot more sense to me now than wool outerwear. I want to be able to hit the trail in the winter, stay light and not be cold and miserable. Last year all of my layers were synthetic, and I wasn't very comfortable below 20 degrees. I'm rarely cold walking, but I hate standing around camp/shelter freezing.

I have plenty of heavy, bulky cotton options for winter car camping, and I take the kids a lot in the winter. Plus we always take a trailer full of wood.

Thanks MAGS, you've been a lot of help. You put effort into responding. I appreciate that.

Images

Another vote for surplus wool pants - this coming from southeast Pa. We used to have a whole BUNCH of "true" surplus stores within 50 miles of here, and it wasn't too hard to find good pants. I don't know if they still make it, but one pair that I loved was a very-tight weave "dress wool" that was almost shiny when new, and would stop the wind almost as well as some of today's modern synthetic cloth.

Yes, when it gets wet, it's heavy - so the trick is to NOT let it get wet!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    I don't know if they still make it, but one pair that I loved was a very-tight weave "dress wool" that was almost shiny when new, and would stop the wind almost as well as some of today's modern synthetic cloth.
    Yes, that's the kind I used to use. They're great in snow. I'll see if the pants from Mags link are the same thing.

Images

I use these pants. Sounds like the pants you described.
    If you upgraded to these, you might care how much greenhouse gas a Pocket Rocket gives off. I am shocked you are so uncaring.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/1...s-For-Men.html

You have to admit, the savings are substantial.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    If you upgraded to these, you might care how much greenhouse gas a Pocket Rocket gives off. I am shocked you are so uncaring.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/1...s-For-Men.html

You have to admit, the savings are substantial.
    That's $199 (reduced from $495):
    "Musto clothing began with sailing items..." I'll just sell my yacht and buy a pair.

Perhaps if I was more of a gear hobbyist.

(People who backpack to buy gear as opposed to buying gear so they can backpack).
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

Well. You are no fun to razz today. I kinda figure, for two bills, they should arrive on someone. And not a buffalo.

Well. You are no fun to razz today. I kinda figure, for two bills, they should arrive on someone. And not a buffalo.
    .....if you send them on a petite blond who is ,oh, about in her early 30s, I'd be most happy.
    Last edited by Mags; 09-28-2009 at 17:55.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

For hiking? Dorky shorts and long underwear combo rules.

On the BMT in the Smokeys. Perhaps mid 20sF ?
    I agree totally here. Most hiking in the winter can be in either shorts or the shorts/long johns combo. Most people forget how hot it can get around their legs when winter backpacking. The old bulky military surplus wool pants are great if you're dirt poor and there's nothing else, and I used to wear them religiously thru the homeless winters when I dumpster dived. They're unbearingly hot and restrictive when postholing up a mountain, even in 10F. The only drawback to Mag's "dorky shorts" are the eventual briar holes in your expensive merinos. Every pair I have gets eaten by brambles and dog hobble, so they shouldn't be worn as pants but I'll keep doing it forever.

After processing everyone's comments I think I will purchase a pair of Smart Wool medium weight base layer (top and bottom) to wear under my convertible North Face Paramount Pants. Any experience with these?

I would not want to sleep out overnight in my current base layer in under 20 degrees. It's a thin nylon that was supposed to be miracle wear, but I have not been impressed. I look great in it though!

Also I looked at some heavy wool pants today in an outdoor store. No way would I hike in those. They weighed a ton, and they were very bulky. I can't imagine them wet.

As above, we agree. You can't go wrong with merino long johns, there's Smartwool which are very nice and soft and then there's Icebreaker midweights which aren't as soft but durable. I left the Patagonia capilene and the old polypro years ago. But longjohns are like boots, they have to be replaced every two years or so after extensive use. At $75 a pop it's always tempting to go the wool pants route or with the surplus GI polypro.

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    When it gets REALLY cold: below say 20 degrees, you'll wish like heck you had wool pants. I wear them from November on into the Spring months, and was very glad I had them when stuck in a snow storm on Mt rogers with 15 degree temp and wind blowing 25-30 mph.
    When you say REALLY cold I think below zero, and even here a good set of merino long johns covered by a pair of lined rainpants works wonders, but of course, not everyone has warm legs like I do. And if you're serious about spending more than a few weekends backpacking in the winter, there's always the Volant etc style pants sold by Western Mountaineering. Not cheap, but cheap over the long run. Nylon goretex rainpants(lined with something thin) over midweight merino long johns is my deep freeze solution. And when it's really cold, like -10F or worse, you're either be pumping nylon up a mountain or sequestered on your pad partially covered by the sleeping bag. Tain't a whole lot of time standing around camp doing nothing.

Whatever you do, don't ever wear those insulated one piece suits with the zipper from the crotch to the neck. Sure, you'll be toasty and look officially serious, but Thor help me you'll be a hog-tied sweaty mess after 20 minutes of postholing and then you'll tie the arms off around your waist and curse the warmth. And then there's the fun of squatting over a cathole in the things. But they're cheap, alot cheaper than down gear, just don't ever realistically consider getting a pair.

Journal Entries
    Images

The absolute best (wool) pants I ever used for hiking and climbing were "Whipcord" pants. I am out of town and so am not at home, can't tell you the website. But if you search for "Whipcord pants" you'' come across them. I took them as they were recommended by the Mtn Climbing school I attended for 6 weeks in the North Cascades.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++