WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Art Loab Trail

Default Art Loab Trail

So I have the map of Pisgah, but maps can only tell me so much. Im looking at doing an overnight on the Art Loab starting at Daniel Boone Boy Scout Camp. I want to know where are the good spots to camp. Im going to end at the Mtn 2 Sea Intersection at the BRP mile marker 421.

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

If you are starting out of Camp Daniel Boone there are two routes up to Shining Rock. The actual Art Loeb goes up to Deep Gap (campsite, but very little water) and then over to Shining Rock. All that I can say for this section is that it's steep, tedious, little to no views and pretty much sucks. The other route is up along the river (Little East Fork, perhaps?) out of the scout camp. Much better graded, better scenery, has a good many camp sites and follows water for most of the way. I would suggest making to Shining Rock for night #1, then across the balds to the Parkway near Graveyard Fields. I'm not sure where mile marker 421 is from there.

Images

In two days you could hike most of the Art Loeb up there and still get around to 421 when you like. My favorite spot to camp is on the art loeb spur trail off of black balsam. There a little hardwood area down in the cut, have to get back in there. There plenty of blueberries and cherries and black berries on that spur before you get down to the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    In two days you could hike most of the Art Loeb up there and still get around to 421 when you like. My favorite spot to camp is on the art loeb spur trail off of black balsam. There a little hardwood area down in the cut, have to get back in there. There plenty of blueberries and cherries and black berries on that spur before you get down to the site.
    Awesome. Yea am looking the the trail out of DB Camp. How is the trail up Cold Mountain? Is it worth the climb?
    The trail up to Shining Rock, is it the multi use trail? Is there camping up on Shining Rock?

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

The trail up to Cold Mountain isn't too bad after you make it up to Deep Gap....nice views, no rangers. The Art Loeb to Shining Rock from Daniel Boone is foot travel only, as far as I can tell. Lots o' campsites around Shining Rock, in the main clearing, Flower Gap, Flower Knob, and on top of the hill behind Shining Rock itself, etc.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Awesome. Yea am looking the the trail out of DB Camp. How is the trail up Cold Mountain? Is it worth the climb?
    The trail up to Shining Rock, is it the multi use trail? Is there camping up on Shining Rock?
    It's worth bagging Cold mtn. and getting it over with. Definelty good views, some of the best up there. Ivestor Gap toll road is like an artery that runs from DB scout camp to BRP just above Graveyard fields and the MST running a few clicks parallel to BRP. Ivestor is the only trail not designated for foot traffic only. One of my personal favorite hikes up there in an out and back situation is from laural creek off 215 to Sam Knob which is in the middle prong wilderness and you can build a fire. The weather on the knobs can be unpredictable and often viscious just like any other of the balds you've hiked.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OldStormcrow View Post
    Lots o' campsites around Shining Rock, in the main clearing, Flower Gap, Flower Knob, and on top of the hill behind Shining Rock itself, etc.
    You'll know the main clearing when you come across it and that hill across from the shining rocks is a favorite too.

There is good camping at Deep Gap, Shining Rock Gap, Ivestor Gap, Black Balsam Knob (if it is nice weather - it is very exposed), and a nice spot in a fur grove right past the parking area at 816 (that is where I camped). I didn't pay as much attention on the other side of the BRP as it was raining and I was just doing the 20 miles back to Davidson River that day anyways. There are two shelters, but they weren't in great shape, and didn't look to have a lot of flat area near them for tents.

So i am wondering if anyone has any mileage approx for me
    1. Scout Camp- Cold Mountain side trail
    2. Cold Mtn- Shining Rock.
    3. Shining Rock- Black Balsam knob

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    So i am wondering if anyone has any mileage approx for me
    1. Scout Camp- Cold Mountain side trail
    2. Cold Mtn- Shining Rock.
    3. Shining Rock- Black Balsam knob
    Roughly:
    1 - 5 miles
    2 - 4.75 miles
    3 - 4.75 miles
    4 - Black Balsam to parking lot on the side road from the Blue Ridge Parkway is ~1 mile

total = ~16 miles from one end to the other

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Dead View Post
    Roughly:
    1 - 5 miles
    2 - 4.75 miles
    3 - 4.75 miles
    4 - Black Balsam to parking lot on the side road from the Blue Ridge Parkway is ~1 mile

total = ~16 miles from one end to the other
    Awesome thanks

Heading to the Art Loab next Sunday am, cant wait!!!!

Trail is flooded!!!!

Images

umm, I was there this past weekend - the area from Black balsam to the boy scout camp is fine, a few wet spots...but flooded? not in sections 3&4. All water sources are flowing though

Quote Originally Posted by humunuku View Post
    umm, I was there this past weekend - the area from Black balsam to the boy scout camp is fine, a few wet spots...but flooded? not in sections 3&4. All water sources are flowing though
    Um I was there last night in the MONSOON!!!!!!!!! 3 inches of rain overnite.

Really wish we could have gone over Balsam

Images

How bad could it be? its a ridgeline trail...

Bypassed it at 4 am the other night.

So Wak and I are going to go back to the scene of the flood and try and finish this thing. We are going to park at Black Balsam, take the Ivestor Gap trail back to Shining Rock and get back on the Art Loab on Thanksgiving Day and try and complete the trail. Hope the weather holds

might want to have alternative plans in case the parkway is closed...it tends to be closed sporadically up there the later in the year it gets

IF it is closed you can take the Flat Laurel Creek Trail (4 or so miles) to the parking lot where the Ivestor Gap trail starts, and then begin your journey.
    "How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."

- Thoreau

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++