WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I hiked in 2002 with a Lab/Dane mix. She weighs about 90 pounds and was 18 months old at the start. I had my father bring her to me after the Smokies and she hiked to Harpers Ferry where I thought the heat was going to kill both of us...Dad came and picked her up again. I brought her back out for VT and NH. She covered about 1000 miles that summer and has been the best dog I've ever owned which I credit to the hike. I wouldn't say it's impossible...but be ready to change plans based on the dogs needs. If you do bring the dog make sure it has seen some miles before you get out there....Don't let anyone other than a Vet tell you not to do it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I hiked in 2002 with a Lab/Dane mix. She weighs about 90 pounds and was 18 months old at the start. I had my father bring her to me after the Smokies and she hiked to Harpers Ferry where I thought the heat was going to kill both of us...Dad came and picked her up again. I brought her back out for VT and NH. She covered about 1000 miles that summer and has been the best dog I've ever owned which I credit to the hike. I wouldn't say it's impossible...but be ready to change plans based on the dogs needs. If you do bring the dog make sure it has seen some miles before you get out there....Don't let anyone other than a Vet tell you not to do it either.
    Even though a dane wouldn't be my first choice for the AT I've been surprised many times by the breeds I see on the trails. Dogs are like people in that those who should have an easy time of it go home and those who, you would think, had no chance summit Katahdin. I agree with your decision but it's yours to make.

The dog should do fine but may I ask what tent you'll be carrying to accommodate the both of you?

Images

given that great danes are prone to joint and back problems, i would be sure to get its joints and back throughly checked out by your vet, making sure there are no early signs of problems....
    but don't completely shoot it down, i'm partial to dogs not hiking for more than a month, but that varies from dog to dog.... start with lots of day hikes and 1-3 nighters, see how he feels....
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiter View Post
    given that great danes are prone to joint and back problems, i would be sure to get its joints and back throughly checked out by your vet, making sure there are no early signs of problems....
    but don't completely shoot it down, i'm partial to dogs not hiking for more than a month, but that varies from dog to dog.... start with lots of day hikes and 1-3 nighters, see how he feels....
    I know this post is a few years old, but for those who are coming after me, it is possible for a Dane. My Dane is an epileptic alert and response dog. So we are constantly out in town walking for miles, when we go for our walks in the woods we average 5+ miles on average a day on top what ever we have walked during our chores. With a Dane you have a short period in which this is possible. I would only do after they are fully grown which is about 3 years of age, and no later than its 5 birthday.

As far as food goes, Native Dog food lvl 4 and turbo bars plus leftovers from your meals. Make sure you have a double sleeping bag and nice sleeping pad+a blanket to comfort their joints. I wouldn't have them carry more than 25 pounds depending on how much your dane weighs and how big. My dane is about 110 and I only have him carry about 10-15 tops.

I wouldn't attempt the AT unless you can pick up and carry your Dane (lots of training and push ups). You might have walk around some spots that may be too rugged, but if your dog can handle it go for it.

Some dog breeds can handle the hike, some can't, IMO, taking a great dane would be a terrible mistake, it's just not made for that...get you a ridgeback or other hound breed if you want a 4-legged hiking buddy, they can handle it, leave the GD on the couch.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The only sad part of this thread is seeing Phreak's posts.

RIP. A good guy who will be missed.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I might be wrong (it has happened twice) but Great Danes original use was BOAR (wild hog) hunting. SO if they can chase down hogs they should be able to cover twenty mile days; assuming one works them up to it over a period of time. Just like any through hiker would do! As at least one other has said --- ask you vet!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++