WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Raise your hand if you're starting your thru in February!

Hey all, I was just wondering who is starting in February. I had thought that almost no one would start then, but I'm seeing more and more people who say they're starting in Feb. So, raise your hand, who's starting in Feb, and when?

(I'm starting sometime between February 18 and 23, probably the 23)

I am planning on starting February 20th. Most likely I will be at the Hiker Hostel on the evening of the 19th. Looking forward to meeting lots interesting people. I plan on starting slowly.

Smile Feb Start

Leaving on Feb 3 get to Gainesville on Feb 4 to start my Thur-Hike
    Hav fun

Default February is for wimps

Just kidding, but I'll be hitting the trail January 28th. Hope to see some of you speedsters pass me by.

I will be leaving sometime around Feb 23rd. Look forward to seeing you out there...

I am looking to leave early February, but havent set a date yet. Depending on weather, it will be somewhere between the 1st and 15th. I am honestly hoping to do it on the 1st, which is my wedding anniversary. Since we are finalizing the divorce right now, that date would be especially poingnant.

We shall see.

I want to leave in late Feb. but the more I think about it the less I think it'll be a thru-hike. I think its going to be a long section hike. Just whenever the money runs out.

just thought i'd let you know that none of you are actually raising your hands.

http://www.primetimersphiladelphia.o...Image002_1.gif

Images

<<Raises hand>>

if i don't start in Jan it will probably be mid-Feb sometime

Starting mine Nov. 1 (2009). Do I have to start in 2010 to be a member of the class? Or just finish in 2010?

Images

That's like being a February freshman at college- never know which graduation to go to. I say, you could be in both 2009, and 2010. But you'll probably meet more people in 2010.

Images

No desire to hijack here, but I'd be interested to hear the reasons folks have chosen this "less than the norm", somewhat difficult time to start. Necessity or Personal Preference?

Hello All. About a Feb. start: Have any of you found reliable information about weather & trail conditions, either good anecdotal stories or, better, statistical tracking of temps, snow, and so on?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    No desire to hijack here, but I'd be interested to hear the reasons folks have chosen this "less than the norm", somewhat difficult time to start. Necessity or Personal Preference?
    For "most" people -- in my opinion only with nothing to back it up -- I think most people start in late Jan and February because they really don't have a clue how long to expect the hike to take and they want to make sure they are finished before mid October. Its can daunting to look at a road map and envision actually walking ga-me.

This obviously excludes those with some type of date commitment, such as students.

Also responding to Lyle, my wife has some plans for the Fall so I want to finish in August sometime. Not the ideal situation (it always nicer to have no deadline imposed), but with a late Feb start I think I can manage it and still enjoy the process. Barring the unforeseen, and still able to take the occasional zero or nero along the way.

I'd much rather do the trail this way than put it off another year.

And in terms of "making lemonade out of lemons", I'm sure there will be some unpleasant "I'm tired of cold weather" moments, but it's also a fun adventure to plan for, to try to balance sufficient clothing/gear against keeping pack base weight low. And a bit of a spirit of adventure in leaving somewhat before average I guess --- though from the registry thread and this one, it looks like a late Feb start isn't all that unique or special!

McIntyre asked: "About a Feb. start: Have any of you found reliable information about weather & trail conditions, either good anecdotal stories or, better, statistical tracking of temps, snow, and so on?"

I'm interested in this too. One that I'm aware of is on postholer.com, http://postholer.com/postholer/index.php?trail=3

Of course there's a trail conditions thread on this site: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100

That's all I can think of off-hand.

Hi Again -- About 10 mins on internet produced the following. What we really need me thinks is wise old trail experts to talk about WTE (What To Expect). Anyway:

some of what appalachian trail conference has to say about start dates

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...ld_I_Start.htm

this weather site for franklin

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2=-85.0977&e=1

this weather site for amicalola falls, just below springer mt

http://www.findlocalweather.com/pinp...rent13743.html

Journal Entries

I am leaving feb 20.

Why?

I have a summer business on marthas vineyard that demands I be there. My thru hike will encompass the spring and then a break to work and then a finish in the fall.

I also hate hiking in the heat. This fall is really nice. October in the northeast is perfect hiking weather( unless a storm hits)

So feb 20 to may 15

Then

September 1 to October 14

Quote Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post

this weather site for amicalola falls, just below springer mt

http://www.findlocalweather.com/pinp...rent13743.html
    The reporting station for the "AFSP" is actually the Cherokee County airport in Canton. Springer is 3700 ft, this location is 1000 ft. 3.5 degrees cooler for each 1,000 ft etc.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++