WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hammocking

Default Hammocking

As some of you are aware, I have posted numerous questions on hammocks and my curiosity has really perked. REI has the HH Expediton on sale now for $139, just the basic setup, which might be fine with me as I still don't know about taking it on a long hike. But I was reading some of the threads on how uncomfortable the ground can be and it go me to thinking ho HOT the ground gets here in Texas and that the HH can get me off the ground and with the air circulating around me, may be somewhat cooler too.

But IF I was to use it for the winter, besides the quilt, what other equipment would I need to purchase for the HH. If the total bill is over 230, I am sticking to the tarp/tent.?

Images

You can get away with using a pad down to any where from 50 to about freezing, depending on personal comfort. It'll cost you a few bucks.

My advice is shop around. But if you want the basic HH model, I have a used one I would sell to you for $50, shipping included. This also includes snakeskins which make pack up quick and very easy. With this kind of start, you can drop $100 dollars on a bigger, much more livable tarp and still have $80 to invest on underinsulation.

Or stick with the stock tarp and invest in an underquilt if you like.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I have the Expedition A-sym and have used it down to 15* with a Thermarest Pro-lite 3 pad and a 20* bag. I set it up in a shelter in the Smokies and it was good down to 8*.

But I sleep warm.

Your goal is to keep the transfer of heat out of the bottom mostly as long as it isn't real windy.

The best thing would be an under-quilt that gives you an extra 5-10* or so.

I personally would use one that could be stuffed with leaves and duff from the surrounding area to provide even more insulation if needed.

It also depends on where and when you are hiking. If it's the AT and you are hiking in March, you will have sub-freezing weather at some point. I never set my hammock on the ground but I did dress in EVERYTHING I had in my 20* bag a couple of times.

The biggest thing is if it is windy. That will lower the temperature that you feel.

For me, If I do the AT again with a hammock starting in March,I would carry a home-made sil-nylon under tarp. That way I can stuff it with leaves and duff to fit the night. And at 6/7 ounces, the under tarp is light enough you can carry it all the way.

It's a difficult question because there are so many variables...first and foremost, what's the rest of your sleep system. The total sleep system is very much an individual thing which, in turn, is shaped by the climate and weather it is to be used in.

In my own experience, a ¼" pad has kept the cold away in the mid- to low-20's. Oware now sells a similar, 3/16" pad (6oz) for $28. Many here don't care for pads but there are others that don't use anything else for underinsulation. I'm in the latter group. Importantly, a pad allows you to start hammock hanging with a small additional cost (dollars and pack weight) and allows you to 'start simple' to find out what works and what is needed given your camping area, your sleep system, and you. I'm a strong advocate of backyard experiments with the hammock and sleep system before hitting the trail.

I'm familiar with Texas. I've always considered most of the state to be a harsh camping environment with extra helpings of heat, hard ground and bugs (and other creepy crawlies). I never hammocked there but it was home for a long time and I think a hammock would be a great way to camp in my former home state. A pad such as above should be all you need to keep warm except in the most extreme of Texas areas and weather. Keeping cool is another matter...

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Images

As a fellow Texan, I can tell you that you'll be fine with just a pad. I used one down in the 20s in VA this spring, and it doesn't get much colder than that here. I did eventually invest in a Yeti underquilt, but haven't tried it yet, as it is still too warm here. There is a Texas Hang off I45 near Conroe at Stubblefield Park in Nov. Check out this thread for details http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=Texas+Hang You'll be able to see lots of different hammocks and setups there if you can make it.

i sleep on the ground in the winter ussually just using my tarp that i use with my hammock. i keep the hammock with me though and take afternoon naps in it when its considerably warmer to counteract having to sleep on the ground at night. dont trust the tarp that comes with the hh it is basically useless in heavy rain/wind.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbx View Post
    i sleep on the ground in the winter ussually just using my tarp that i use with my hammock. i keep the hammock with me though and take afternoon naps in it when its considerably warmer to counteract having to sleep on the ground at night. dont trust the tarp that comes with the hh it is basically useless in heavy rain/wind.
    Lunchbox, et al,

There is really no reason not to use your hammock year round.... Many do.... Many options to staying warm.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Default I gave in

Thanks everyone. Lots of good advice. I sleep with a pad right now, I find those thermarests too bulky and heavy for me, plus I had one pop on me once. First and only one I had.. Looks like it may be in order to break down and just do it. Even if it is for only warmer weather.

I did give in and signed on the the other site, HammockForums. So I may get more good info there. Looks like I may raise camping experience a little..(no puns intended).

Graywolf

I'm going to give you some hammocking heretical advice. I have been hammocking for the past 3 years including the winter seasons. Around here, where I like to go, it commonly gets below 20 degrees. I will not chance that kind of exposure in a hammock. I did once, with lots of nice quilts and nearly froze (it was 15 degrees with winds of 25-30mph constant).
    Instead for the winter I have a Tarptent scarp 1 with a Big Agnes pad and a nice Feathered Friends down bag. Sorry, but the chances of high winds, condensation, and very cold temps make me go to ground in the serious winter months.
    BTW, I just got back from 3 days in the Mt.Rogers/Grayson Highlands area and it was blowing hard, gray, foggy and overcast with temps in the 40's during the day and upper 30's at night. Stayed warm in a Warbonnet BB with JRB quilts.

Staying warm in a hammock is just a different learning curve...perhaps a bit steeper, but just a learning curve. Over in the above mentioned Hammock forum you'll find lots of stories about sub-zero hammock hanging. I myself haven't dropped below 20° but then, I don't use a top cover or bag either.

If you can't stay warm in a hammock in Texas, y'all just haven't finished learning yet.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    As a fellow Texan, I can tell you that you'll be fine with just a pad.

There is a Texas Hang off I45 near Conroe at Stubblefield Park in Nov. Check out this thread for details http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=Texas+Hang You'll be able to see lots of different hammocks and setups there if you can make it.
    Ditto what Red Hat said.

Images

I went hiking with two people last weekend that both had just bought hammocks and were excited about trying them out. Monday they both took them back to the store and traded for tents. There reasoning was they both felt totally claustrophobic and could not move around and we spent the entire hike looking for trees that were the proper distance and location it was exhausting. I have no opinion I use a tent and am sticking with a tent.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

I have more room in my Warbonnet Blackbird than I ever did in my Walrus Zoid one man, but not as much room as in my Tarptent Rainbow. That said, I am much dryer and much more comfortable in my hammock, than in either tent. Finding trees shouldn't be a problem, since straps are adjustable... duh

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

Graywolf have you checked out hammockforums.com they have been my guiding light in hanging...great site just as friendly as people here on WB...
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Quote Originally Posted by fljj48 View Post
    I went hiking with two people last weekend that both had just bought hammocks and were excited about trying them out. Monday they both took them back to the store and traded for tents. There reasoning was they both felt totally claustrophobic and could not move around and we spent the entire hike looking for trees that were the proper distance and location it was exhausting. I have no opinion I use a tent and am sticking with a tent.
    One night? New, untried equipment? The aforementioned learning curve is a bit steeper and longer.

FB

Article II, Section 3

Images

If I were you, I'd take Bearpaw up on his offer, and get into it that way. The new thing in hammocks is the Warbonnet, which I may eventually get, but the HH is the only one with the bottom entry which I love. I bet you could post in the "want to buy" forum for a HH and you'd get several offers from new Warbonnet owners getting rid of their HH.

As far as walking around to find trees a certain length apart, that's mostly neophyte mentality trying to find the perfect spot, which IMO, is a holdover from tenting where you truly do need to find the perfect spot in order to lay flat on the ground with nothing protruding under you. Many different lengths of space between trees will work OK. If you're doing anything other than sleeping, or perhaps reading a book or listening to iPod, then yes, not any room to do much in a hammock. Again, I think that's a holdover from tenting mentality. Plenty of room outside the hammock, and isn't that the point - to be outside?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I've gotta tell you, I found that a standard backpacking pad (20" of width like a ProLite) just didn't cut it below 50F. While my underside would be warm, any part of my body that pressed against the uninsulated side of the hammock through my 20F down bag was almost immediately chilled. While I am a warm sleeper, I am also a light sleeper and a temperature variation like that would keep me awake or awaken me. If you're going to go with a pad, get something extra-wide that will almost wrap around look (look into a segmented pad extender), which should get you down to perhaps 40F.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I agree on that. I found that NO pad was good enough under 50 and they were no fun in a hammock anyway. Once I finally managed to get a warm-enough underquilt and over quilt and didn't need my pad at all, I gladly got rid of it.

Using a basic hammock and a tight fitting bag you can have a hammock with insulation all around you and you won't have to carry the extra weight of bug netting when you don't need it. For buggy weather you can purchase an ENO bug net which slips over your hammock and bag. That's the way I go now. I've sold my HH and don't miss it one bit.
    http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/237103382ByZIeG
    Here's an example of my early experimentation. I got the idea from the Speer Hammock website - well worth a visit.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Graywolf have you checked out hammockforums.com they have been my guiding light in hanging...great site just as friendly as people here on WB...
    Yeah, Already signed up. But I havnt posted yet. Just reading through the thread getting my fill,,(no puns intended)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++