WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Ice Age Trail in deep freeze?

No one has started a new thread on the Ice Age Forum since I did last February. Is this forum dead? Comatose? Is it worth my time to keep checking on this site?
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Images

Just keep posting. If it's like the NCT forum, you will get little response unless you ask a very specific question. But there are folks who will at least read the posts, so if you have any info, go ahead and post.

This is an Appalachian Trail centered site, and many folks on here have no interest in other trails - but some do. I'm constantly amazed at how many "avid" hikers are so completely uninformed about all the opportunities and trails there are. Any place you can help spread the word is good.

i check in every once in a while, its good to have any new information on the ice age trail.

Images

Is there specific information you seek?

I hike the Ice Age Trail at least twice each year, I did a nice 20 miler this past May, so keep on posting Cheesehead (sorry, I'm still upset over the Bears game)!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

How about some images of the glacial features it was created to conserve or some links about them? Sometimes those who desire content must create it themselves when none exists and in learning what they wish to know provide for others.

It's amazing what a few Google searches can turn up!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    I hike the Ice Age Trail at least twice each year, I did a nice 20 miler this past May, so keep on posting Cheesehead (sorry, I'm still upset over the Bears game)!
    I'm originally from Illinois so I'm a "Processed Cheesehead." I took 2 of my boys to Wrigley Field today and near where I sat was a TV with the Bears/Lions game. Got to see the Bears wump motor city butt while the Cubbies ended the season with a whimper.

I don't have a particular question about the Ice Age Trail. Just wondering if it is worth my while to keep looking here.

Please don't give up on keeping IAT alive on this site! I second what Lyle and emerald stated: many look but don't speak unless they have something definitive to say. (There are still people that don't just talk to see themselves type) I stumbled across this in the dreary dead of winter (the not-so-good to snowshoe part) and it kept me going until the thaw. As an active volunteer, I like to peak in to answer questions and I promise to get better at posting events.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by V.I.P. View Post
    Please don't give up on keeping IAT alive on this site! I second what Lyle and emerald stated: many look but don't speak unless they have something definitive to say. (There are still people that don't just talk to see themselves type) I stumbled across this in the dreary dead of winter (the not-so-good to snowshoe part) and it kept me going until the thaw. As an active volunteer, I like to peak in to answer questions and I promise to get better at posting events.
    Ahhh... nice to see the IAT spicin' up! You're out near Madison? Do you ever get up to the Northern Unit of the Kettle Moraine?

I'm a Thousand Miler Wanna Be so I travel the state trying to hike all the segments and roads. I don't mind repeating stellar sections to experience other seasons--in that way, I will never "finish" the Trail. I also go wherever (and whenever my vacation time allows) the Mobile Skills Crew sets up camp. La Budde Creek State Fishery Area near Elkhart Lake is now completed so I have to see the finished product. Haven't seen the site since it was simply ribbon flagged. Madison is my local area and where I pitch in with landscape restoration.

Images

Don't let my baby die!

Planning on hiking a few sections in 2010 with my grandchildren. I also am a 1,000 miler wannabe. I'll be sure to post at that time.
    Zeke

Images

Quote Originally Posted by V.I.P. View Post

I should get better at posting events, too, since it was my sticky. Thanks for the assists!

Images

ZEKE, you are in West Bend?

ice age how did your thru hike of the superior hiking trail go, i want to learn more about this trail.

Images

Just Ran a 50 miler on the Ice Age Trail. I love Kettle Moraine State Park. The fall has been wonderful up there!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by puddingboy View Post
    ice age how did your thru hike of the superior hiking trail go, i want to learn more about this trail.
    I knocked out the northern 1/2 of the trail in late August, and was once again blown away by the SHT. I'll have to dig up my daily journal to give you more detail, but I can not over-emphasize how great an experience it is.

The campsites are amazing, always placed in the perfect location for scenery and access to water. The trail is great, throws just enough challenges at you to keep it interesting.

Go hike the SHT! (after the Ice Age Trail, of course)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    Go hike the SHT! (after the Ice Age Trail, of course)
    "Ice Age" is still alive! (Reminds me of a Wisconism I heard once: "I see you're back in town").
    If we can convince someone to connect the IAT with the NCT, we could hike all the way up to the SHT and beyond. Where do the first two trails come the closest?
    Ben says to say "hi!" No, really.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mkmangold View Post
    "Ice Age" is still alive! (Reminds me of a Wisconism I heard once: "I see you're back in town").
    If we can convince someone to connect the IAT with the NCT, we could hike all the way up to the SHT and beyond. Where do the first two trails come the closest?
    Ben says to say "hi!" No, really.
    You are aware that IAT and NCT share NPS staff right? Same office administers both. We are sister trails. Not sure on what the official position of the two joining would be.

NCT has been having a devil of a time getting Congressional Approval to modify our corridor to allow the SHT, Border Route, and KEK to officially become part of the NCT. This effort is commonly called the Arrowhead Reroute. Encourage your congressmen to support it.

Would probably take official action by Congress to approve joining the IAT and NCT too. At least if you wanted it official.

Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    ZEKE, you are in West Bend?

Yes I am. I've hiked from Sheboygan to the Southern Kettle Moraine area. I'm thinking about starting at the beginning in Pottawatomi State Park and hiking with my grandson as often as we can.
    Zeke

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++