WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: When To Thru-hike

Voters
28. This poll is closed
  • After i get out of highschool

18 64.29%
  • When i get out of college and my family pays for it

10 35.71%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Post When to Thru-hike

Hi. i am planning on doing a thru as soon as i get out of high school. my mom wantsme to go to college before i thru-hike. She is saying no but my dad is saying he wouldnt mind. But no my mom offered to pay for my whole thru-hike if i wait to get out of college. What would you do

go before college. you may not want to go to college if you complete a thru-hike. when you become 18 you can do what you want

Hmmm, sounds like you're in a classic philosophical dilemma........

Only you can decide which path to take......

Follow your heart grasshopper...........

I think you will have a better chance at doing it before college. You may finish college and not want to do it anymore. Not time like the present

College followed by a great graduation present.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    College followed by a great graduation present.
    thats what my mom is saying it would be A Graduation present

Quote Originally Posted by YoungMoose View Post
    thats what my mom is saying it would be A Graduation present
    You have a smart mom.

Images

Go now. Finish the whole damn thing. Put THAT on your college applications and you'll get some real attention from even better schools. Including more financial aid.

As for your Mom, tell her that her heart is in the right place, but you can't be bought, even by Mom.

But realize that she's being a Mom by being hesitant about something she may think has more risks than it does. Would she read 'A Walk in the Woods' which, while not a perfect description of the AT, gives a lot of the 'feel' for it? Or find other ways to teach her that it's not remote, not unduly risky (probably less so than crossing college streets) and will make you even more mature than you are now.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    go before college. you may not want to go to college if you complete a thru-hike.
    Case for the opposite I would say.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Hike after HS, I think it might even help you in college. Good learning expierencce.
    WalkingStick"75"

ya im facing the same dilemma but im still not 100% sure if i want to hike the AT or some other trail

Images

Taking a year off before college would have made a HUGE difference in my life. Instead, I ended up taking several years off during college, and it was the school's idea, not mine. (Something about my grades....) Working a menial job for a couple of years put the whole college thing in perspective, and finally I went back and graduated. But I wouldn't recommend that path.

Instead, look at this as a "gap year." A successful thru-hike will give you a big chunk of time to think about what you want to do with your life. Planning, preparing, and executing a thru-hike will teach you how to set goals, how to organize to meet those goals, and how to manage the daily grind when those goals seem out of reach. Being able to walk through the rain, sleet, snow (and dark of night), the heat of mid summer, the bugs, bears, and days with a bad attitude will reveal your fortitude. You will have the opportunity learn much about yourself.

Or, you can just party your way up the trail, and learn nothing. It's up to you. You might find this helpful:

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/THP%20top.html
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

One must decide avocation vs vocation on their own.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

I'd offer a compromise. See if you can get her to pay for 8-10 week section hikes during summer vacations from college. Get the best of both worlds.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

go after H.S.
    When you graduate college you will have more chance of being offered good employment in your field and then won't have time hike until you're retired.
    GO NOW!!!!!!!!

geek

If you go after HS you can always join the McDonalds Management Training Program when you finish.

Images

I'd advise waiting, but either way it could be a distraction. Your first priority should be on your studies.

A through hike isn't the big deal many make it out to be. Even if you accept the perfect job right out of college, section hiking isn't a bad way to spend vacations and you will be able to enjoy many things through hikers never see or experience.

Gratification deferment can be a good thing. Many people today fail to see its benefits.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Someone mentioned a "gap" year. Very popular in other places..but not here.

It works well in the UK, Australia and other places....and I think there are a few "professionals" in those places.

Very few people out of high school are honestly ready for college. I know I wasn't in some ways.

A thru-hike can be a wonderful way to examine what you want to do and even perhaps be more experienced in some ways. Perhaps 5-6 mos of living away from home BEFORE college will let you get that "need to party" bug out of you that many college freshmen get.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a gap year...IF you use it wisely.
    (Hell..my brother did 3 "gap years" courtesy of the US Air Force. But, that's a little different I imagine? He's now in the air guard..and also rec'd a paid vacation to Baghdad..but that's another story, too. )

But, that's just me. Only you know if you have the discipline to go to college (or another vocational path) after a thru-hike

Good luck!
    Last edited by Mags; 10-08-2009 at 19:22.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

The more mature you are when you get to college, the more likely you are to use that opportunity wisely. A gap year is a good time to do some maturing--spend the first half of it working to make the money for your hike; the second half hiking.

Many college freshmen are in no way ready to take care of themselves. Six months spent hiking will give you a crash course in taking care of yourself.

Many college students (freshmen especially) are very stupid about keeping their eyes on long-term priorities over short-term temptations. If you can summon the will to finish a long hike, you'll teach yourself something about sticking to a task to the end.

Last but definitely not least, do not put off important things. You never know what the future will bring. Four and a half years from now you may have college debts pressing on you that will prevent you from hiking, you may have a significant other in your life that will keep you from wanting to hike, and so on. If something is important to you, do it now.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    I'd offer a compromise. See if you can get her to pay for 8-10 week section hikes during summer vacations from college. Get the best of both worlds.
    So far this is my plan for college, except im not quite sure if i can get my mom to pay for it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++