WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Thank you so much for your encouragement -- I know it's true that the more I do, the more I know that I *can* do.

To be totally honest, I can also find myself fearful in situations that don't even involve real heights, per se. Almost anyplace where I can trip, slip, or fall gets me nervous. When I fell and smashed my knee on my 3rd day in Maine, I was walking across a piece of granite as flat as a sidewalk...and it ended my hike. I learned a lot from that experience, but perhaps too much: I think I'm more fearful than I "should" be.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    Thank you so much for your encouragement -- I know it's true that the more I do, the more I know that I *can* do.

To be totally honest, I can also find myself fearful in situations that don't even involve real heights, per se. Almost anyplace where I can trip, slip, or fall gets me nervous. When I fell and smashed my knee on my 3rd day in Maine, I was walking across a piece of granite as flat as a sidewalk...and it ended my hike. I learned a lot from that experience, but perhaps too much: I think I'm more fearful than I "should" be.
    Just go out and do it, but be more attentive and don't get distracted by talking, etc, and maybe slow down a bit if necessary. And if you want to take in the scenery just stop briefly to do a good horizon-to-horizon scan and perhaps take a photo.

To me, some of the most fun trips these days are with my friends who simply can't do a lot of miles, which makes me slow down, so I take more photos.

GLT_2017_045.jpg

I am very amused and that this thread has risen from the dead :-D I've actually been thinking for a while of updating my list, since there have been changes to the trail over the years. Probably not enough to really change much, but who knows?

On a related note, we launched our new website last week, and we'll be starting a new blog on it soon as well, which we're hoping to use to do some really nerdy things like this "steepest climbs" series or other data-related things. Stay tuned, and good luck climbing all those slopes!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
++ New Posts ++