WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Hip belt too large now

so, hubby has lost weight during our thruhike. His hip belt and all its straps are tightened all the way. Yet the belt is still too big. He has an older style REi Flash 62 medium. I talked to REI and though the hipbelt is removable they do not sell replacements. other than the blue sleeping mat pad to make his girth bigger anyone have any ideas? Really do not wish to buy a new pack

Do you mean the Flash 65? I see no 62 on the REI site. Looks to me that adding padding is the only option. The medium is the smallest sized offered and claims a 32" min waist. To get anything smaller you'd need to get a different pack. The small womans version of the Flash 65 can go down to a 32" waist and the extra small down to 30".
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Haha, good excuse to buy a pack that fits!

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Haha, good excuse to buy a pack that fits!
    Or make sure you buy a pack which will fit when you loose 50 pounds. Not to say he had 50 pounds to loose, but this is a common problem. Pack which fits at the start doesn't always fit at the end.

-

trim it down and sew it back up - may not look pretty but it works
    link for stitcher:

https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Saddl...55290607&psc=1

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Do you mean the Flash 65? I see no 62 on the REI site. Looks to me that adding padding is the only option. The medium is the smallest sized offered and claims a 32" min waist. To get anything smaller you'd need to get a different pack. The small womans version of the Flash 65 can go down to a 32" waist and the extra small down to 30".
    The Flash 65 is a newer version. It does not have a removable belt The older version has a removablebelt

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

I know you don't want to buy a new pack but Granite Gear has a great solution for this issue. Their belt is adjustable in size using a Velcro system. I wish more manufacturers could incorporate a similar system into their belts. It is a very common issue with hikers.

Stand alone belt option.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produc...6/ProductID/11

Caution: this is a small company so if you need something fast or timing is important for shipping be sure to correspond directly with them.

Images

Thanks everyone. I believe I have found a solution for the next 480 miles. Neemor”s World on youtube helped. Basicallyyou rethread one strap through the buckles rather than using a clip. You end upnot using the straping but not the clip. He tried it on and so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse View Post
    The Flash 65 is a newer version. It does not have a removable belt The older version has a removablebelt
    Okay, I found a picture of the 62. I don't see how the belt is removable, but will take your word on that. What if you remove the belt and replace it with just a strap? Won't have the padding though, which may or may not be an issue. Where are you - anywhere Gorham, NH ? I could lend you a pack or meet up with you and help figure something out.

Thanks everyone. I believe I have found a solution for the next 480 miles. Neemor”s World on youtube helped. Basicallyyou rethread one strap through the buckles rather than using a clip. You end upnot using the straping but not the clip. He tried it on and so far so good.
    Sounds good. But if he's still having trouble after another 100 miles, PM me when you get to Gorham. I live 5 minutes away.

Images

I went the adding foam route. It works fine. Plus if you gain your weight back after a long hike, just remove the extra foam padding.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Do you happen to have a link to the video? I’d be interested to see it.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

++ New Posts ++