WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Default Steepest part of the AT

Hello Whiteblaze friends! Just got back from hiking the Presidential Range and Katahdin in early September. Fantastic weather all 6 days of my trip and awsome pictures. My question is this: I have hiked all the AT from Springer to Damascus and now from NH 302 at Crawford Notch to Pinkham Notch as well as the AT trail up Katahdin. Does anyone know where the steepest part of the AT is? I thought it was the south side of Roan Mountain but am now thinking it must be either Katahdin itself, going up Webster Cliffs or coming off Mount Madison toward Pinkham. Are there any places steeper than those I have mentioned? Thanks, Jay B.

Images

I haven't made it to N.E. yet, but I want to say that Katahdin is much steeper than Roan Mountain, though I could be wrong.

I remember a pretty nasty climb out of Stecoah gap though.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by OSUBCS#1 View Post
    I remember a pretty nasty climb out of Stecoah gap though.

All right, a Stecoah fan! I've complained about that 30 miles from NOC to Fontana a lot. Really tough part of trail (esp mentally) when you are new at the game. But not the steepest.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Beaverbrook Falls on Mt. Moosilauke gets my vote.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Jay B. View Post
    Hello Whiteblaze friends! Just got back from hiking the Presidential Range and Katahdin in early September. Fantastic weather all 6 days of my trip and awsome pictures. My question is this: I have hiked all the AT from Springer to Damascus and now from NH 302 at Crawford Notch to Pinkham Notch as well as the AT trail up Katahdin. Does anyone know where the steepest part of the AT is? I thought it was the south side of Roan Mountain but am now thinking it must be either Katahdin itself, going up Webster Cliffs or coming off Mount Madison toward Pinkham. Are there any places steeper than those I have mentioned? Thanks, Jay B.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Beaverbrook Falls on Mt. Moosilauke gets my vote.

I thought coming down off Madison (towards Pinkham) was very steep and long. 2.7 to the tent platforms?

I have been up and down Beaverbrook Trail and it is a steep one too.

those are my tow picks from the places on the AT I have hiked. I thought they were both harder than going up Roan. Stecoah Gap is legendary. Looking forward to that in March!!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Symbol View Post
    Stecoah Gap is legendary. Looking forward to that in March!!
    Stecoah Gap (actually Sweetwater Gap a mile or so in) is certainly steep, but it is relatively short. My newbie daughter didn't have a problem with that climb or Albert Mountain.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

A few of the stretches in southern ME - like Mahoosuc Arm and Speck Mtn.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

South Kinsman

geek

katahdin
    webster cliff trail
    lehigh gap
    mahoosuc arm
    beaver brook trail
    the climb out of georgia into N.C. kicked my ass a few times

Images

Ive heard they've built switchbacks, but Old Blue Mountain would get my vote from ten years ago.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Ive heard they've built switchbacks, but Old Blue Mountain would get my vote from ten years ago.
    yeah thats a good choice. ten years yesterday for me 10-08-99 wow seems like yesterday.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i'm fairly certain that geek wins the prize...rise over run, I think statistically speaking south kinsman is truely the steepest.

here are some others that came to my mind:

katahdin
    albert mtn
    lehigh gap
    speck mtn

I dont remember stecoah or beaver brook being that bad...
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

South Kinsman, Mahoosuc Arm, Old Blue & parts of the climb down from Dragon's Tooth, Moody Mountain comes to mind too! I renamed that one...Mt. Kick My Ass.

The steepest climb on the trail though....my vote goes to the stairs at the Doyle! Especially 15 minutes after last call.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Old Blue is one of those Mountains that doesn't get talked about alot, but it's definately a hard one whether you are climbing it or going down it. It's a steep climb going NOBO, and if you're coming down it SOBO, your knees are shot by the time you get down to South Arm Rd.......then you have to cross the road and climb Moody Mt. Definately a tough little stretch of trail that I always dread.

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Hiker View Post
    Old Blue is one of those Mountains that doesn't get talked about alot, but it's definately a hard one whether you are climbing it or going down it. It's a steep climb going NOBO, and if you're coming down it SOBO, your knees are shot by the time you get down to South Arm Rd.......then you have to cross the road and climb Moody Mt. Definately a tough little stretch of trail that I always dread.
    We went up Moody as they were doing maintenance. The trail was severely eroded and rope was tied to help us climb it.

Nothing in the south compares to anything up north. Stecoah just stunk because we didnt have trail legs yet.
    Old Blue was a killer. The climb out of Mahoussac Notch was crazy hard, plus I was really friggin tired. Damn i wanna thru hike again

Default steepest part of AT

As one who has thru hiked I can say that there are many candidates for this.

Coming out of Secoha gap is for sure a challenge. Plenty of steep stretches in NC. But in my book, the trail doesn't really get serious until New Hampshire and nothing compares to Maine. The climb up Katahdin is as steep as it gets, short of needing ropes! The Mahoosics are a bit less steep but still very challenging. Then there is the carter range where you lower or raise yourself over short vertical stretches. The Mahoosics are also very rugged.

david

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Hiker View Post
    Hiked Old Blue, Moody and Hall on the same day going SOBO. That last climb up hall at the end of the day was tough. The wash outs on Moody didn't help matters any.

Descending Garfield on a rainy morning! Webster Cliff wasn't too steep (I didn't think) it just kept going on forever.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    Descending Garfield on a rainy morning! Webster Cliff wasn't too steep (I didn't think) it just kept going on forever.
    I second this, although I haven't hiked Maine yet. It was rainy when I went down as well. Scary stuff.

I agree with Jim Adams, Kinsman gets my vote.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++