WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

The folks around CT/MA would know better, but I recall a really steep part that was basically a straight up slab of slippery wet rock, not real high, but definitely steep. There is a blue blaze around it, but we went straight up. I'm thinking it was Sages Ravine, but not sure. I remember just being thankful we were going up and not down.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sixhusbands View Post
    My friend and I left the parking lot at Lincoln Woods at 2:30 AM in 22 degree weather carrying a day pack with food, 3 liter water bag, emergency blanket, extra wind clothes for the high peaks and extra batteries.
    We hiked the 31.5 mile route clock wise and reached Galehead hut at 11:15 AM. Then the climb up South Twin was the last major up and then on to the Bonds then the long walk down and the 5 mile finsh on the Wilderness trail to the car. We reached the parking lot at 7:45 PM dead tired, having avereged 2 mile an hour over 8 high peaks (over 4000 foot).

For the crazies out there, the record hike time is 7 hours 5 minutes!
    now thats a day hike!!! very impresive .. i did the loop in the same direction but stayed one nite at garfied and then hiked out the following day. i thiught that was a kicker. maybe my mistake was the 25lbs in the pack for 3 nites stay. hmmm.. peace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    absolute hardest: climbing into my truck to go home after a glorious week of hiking
    ding ding ding ding ding ding..... folks, we have a winner. Rignt on!

Quote Originally Posted by Many Walks View Post
    The folks around CT/MA would know better, but I recall a really steep part that was basically a straight up slab of slippery wet rock, not real high, but definitely steep. There is a blue blaze around it, but we went straight up. I'm thinking it was Sages Ravine, but not sure. I remember just being thankful we were going up and not down.
    Not ringing any bells here. After doing the whites, I would say NY, CT, MA and southern VT are fairly flat with very few tedious spots. And the whites are pretty easy, just a tad more tedious.

Now if you want steepest, try the upper Madison Gulf Trail blue blaze... that is some serious steep, like Beaver Brook without the built-in supports.

So many steep parts. I remember standing at the base of some gosh-aweful cliff and looking for the white blazes, only to realize they were directly ABOVE me. <groan>

But if memory serves me, I'd vote for Old Blue or Mt, Moody in Maine. I can't recall the name...but it didn't look like much in the guidebook, yet it had iron rebar in the rocks and you had to pull yourself up hand over hand.

The Whites were no problem, steep yes, but the combination of better views and being in better shape by the time I hit them nullified their impact. I expected hard climbs so that helped. Old Blue hit me out of nowhere on a rainy day when I was pretty tired of the hike in general.

Many Walks, are you thinking of St. John's Ledges? That's steep, but not in the same ballpark as Beaver Brook and South Kinsman. Not even close.

Looking up or down a steep part, I turn to my hiking partner and say, "oh boy, we are having fun now."

Images

The steepest part is always at the end of the day and you are just about out of water.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Moody Mountain with the reroute in Maine is the steepest climb of the entire trail. If you haven't hiked with the rerouted blue route, don't argue, it's horrible.

Images

Really the steepest? Not the gnarliest, as per the thread, but I can recall a couple of pieces like this:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...?i=37181&c=528

The Wildcats were the worst both in terms of steepness and magnitude. especially when you get to the top and discover the chair lift!!!!

The first three miles out of Harper's Ferry going NOBO are a real bitch. Now, I haven't yet made it to Katahdin, but I am thinking it couldn't be that much worse than those three miles....

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

where does the Abol Slide fit into this? I went up the Abol and down the Hunt thinking the Hunt was the official route????
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

Yeah, the almost 1000 ft up out of Harpers (over 2 miles) is tiring. But, I didn't find it to be that bad and you had the view from Weverton Cliff at the top!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

My rule of thumb is that anything below 500'/mile ascent is quite reasonable. I start to puff just a bit on steeper climbs longer than a mile, and beyond 1200'/mile I've been known to mutter under my breath...when I can catch my breath.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Many Walks View Post

I'm going to guess that what you're remembering above is in NY.
    Once you come out of The Lemon Squeezer going NOBO there are some steep rocks, that don't go high. And they do have a blue blaze around them.

I was talking about the part along the canal....

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    I'm going to guess that what you're remembering above is in NY.
    Once you come out of The Lemon Squeezer going NOBO there are some steep rocks, that don't go high. And they do have a blue blaze around them.
    That may have been it, just can't remember for sure now. I thought it was Sages Ravine, but maybe not. It wasn't real high or of great length, but it was straight up (steep). There are a lot like that, but this particular one was just extreme hand over hand climbing. Much better going up than down, IMO. Suspect the blue blaze gets a lot of traffic.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Jay B. View Post
    Hello Whiteblaze friends! Just got back from hiking the Presidential Range and Katahdin in early September. Fantastic weather all 6 days of my trip and awsome pictures. My question is this: I have hiked all the AT from Springer to Damascus and now from NH 302 at Crawford Notch to Pinkham Notch as well as the AT trail up Katahdin. Does anyone know where the steepest part of the AT is? I thought it was the south side of Roan Mountain but am now thinking it must be either Katahdin itself, going up Webster Cliffs or coming off Mount Madison toward Pinkham. Are there any places steeper than those I have mentioned? Thanks, Jay B.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Beaverbrook Falls on Mt. Moosilauke gets my vote.

I thought coming down off Madison (towards Pinkham) was very steep and long. 2.7 to the tent platforms?

I have been up and down Beaverbrook Trail and it is a steep one too.

those are my tow picks from the places on the AT I have hiked. I thought they were both harder than going up Roan. Stecoah Gap is legendary. Looking forward to that in March!!

Based on GPS track and USGS elevation data, here are some calculations for steepest sections of AT ...
    http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~dunigan/at/atelev.html

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++