WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Looking for a Good 1 man tent...any suggestions.

I have a nice 2 man tent that I like to use for car camping and short range backpacking trips. I am trying to get into doing some longer range hikes and at 5.5 lbs this tent is not worth the weight(even though I like the extra room). I am looking for a 1 man tent that is lightweight, good quality, enough room inside that it doesn't feel like sleeping in a coffin, and won't break the bank--$150 is my max, under $100 would be awesome....I've looked around a lot online but there are so many choices...plus, I'd rather take the advice of the experience of all the folks on this site that have actually used the product...thanks

Journal Entries
    Images

I have the Kelty Crestone 1. I managed to snag it at REI for <$100. It's easy to put up - and you can pack it with the rainfly attached so if it's raining it protects the inside of the tent. Good sized vestibule, as well.

It is, however, nearly 4 lbs. But it's sturdy and I expect it to go a long way. Sure, I could find an ultralight shelter, but for $94 - really.

I'm 5'8" and there's plenty of head and leg room for me - I can easily imagine a 6' person fitting fine.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

How tall are you ?
    Franco

Images

i've been looking for something similar myself, but being 5'11 290 pounds its proving to be quite difficult. i've heard some pretty good things about the sierra designs light year, though the price is something to be considered.

if you're into lightweight there are the henry shires tarptents that seem to have quite a following...

the one last thing i did want to mention is that there is a website that sells big agnes gear that is used. but its at a 40% discount... you could get a seedhouse 1 used for like 90 bucks also...
    heres the link for that
    http://www.wearbap.com/product.php?p...cat=398&page=1

anyway good luck on your choice, keep me posted on your decision as i'm looking for something myself but havent been able to make one yet.

Images

I camped in my new Sierra Designs Flashlight Clip 2. They say this is a two person tent but you would have to be extremely intimate with that 2nd person. It is fairly light at 3.6 lbs packs up to 4" x 19". I like it did great for me. I pulled the fly back and laid there listening to the Florida Gator game on my MP3 player FM tuner and watch shooting stars taking off from all directions it was a great night.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

I've got a brand new never used Mountain Hardware Sprite 1 complete with footprint for $135 delivered to you in GA...

I bought it about 3-4 months ago at REI, set it up and it's just a tad too short for me and I'm 6'-1""...tent with footprint retails for $200 at REI..

Specs on the tent are:

Specifications for the Sprite 1 Tent by Mountain Hardwear: Capacity: 1 Minimum Weight: 2 lbs. 15 oz./1.32 kg. Pitchlight Weight: 2 lbs. 6 oz./1.08 kg. Packed Weight: 3 lbs. 7 oz./1.57 kg. Floor/Vestibule Area: 17.5 + 5 sq. ft./1.6 + 0.5 sq. m Peak Height: 37"/94 cm. Poles: 2 Doors: 1 Vestibules: 1 Packed Size: 19" x 6"/48 x 15 cm. Usage: Three-Season Backpacking / Camping Tent Floor: 70D Nylon Taffeta 3000mm PU Fabric: Fly: 75D Polyester Taffeta 1500mm PU Fabric: Canopy: 20D Nylon Knit Mesh/68D Polyester Ripstop DWR .

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

"If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Hey Hooch ! Looks a little cramped for a catnap.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

I like my Clip Flashlight. Little heavy, lots of extra room and has kept me dry in some very heavy rains.

Journal Entries
    Images

The best one man tent I have ever had was a Coleman Peak 1 one man tent. It cost me like $45.00 at the Coleman Camping Store in Pigeon Forge, Tn. But that was in 2000, so if they still make it, they would probably be a bit higher....

This tent is similar and even though it says it is a 3 season tent I would say that it would hold up in snowy conditions pretty good.........http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...d=11070&brand=

No matter if you are caught in the snow with a 4 season or 3 season one thing you can count on is that you will have to keep the snow off of your tent by getting out and removing it or knocking it off from the inside. I now pack a Mountain Hardwear Kiva Mid pole tent.......http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Prod...&viewAll=False and for the weight it is worth it. I've had this one in some rough winds already and it only took me less than six minutes to set it up.....

I have the Coleman Kraz 1 and like it alot, 3lbs, well designed, inexpensive. You can pick it up at the Coleman outlet up 85 in commerce.

i like my MSR Hubba lightt weight and has a life time warranty against defects under normal use it's free standing and with the MSR ground cloth and rain fly there perfect the only downfall is the back of the rainfly dosent go all the way to the ground leaving a draft
    GRAVY

Images

i suggest you get a hammock.
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Are you open to single-wall tents, or focused on double-wall? To keep cost down would you be open to making your own tent from a pattern?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    i suggest you get a hammock.
    Second that - There ain't nuthin beats a bear pinata! cept maybe a water bed on a cold January night.... I miss my WB
    Miracles; they are by nature unbelievable so the mind must rationalize them or justify God is real.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikenSalem View Post
    Second that - There ain't nuthin beats a bear pinata! cept maybe a water bed on a cold January night.... I miss my WB
    Please don't be a Hammock hater....

This question comes up quite a bit, The real reason for all the variety out there is some folk want a bathtub floor and be able to sit up in a tent to change or get dry in a storm. Or keep a down bag dry. Bivys & clips are light and unless you are sleeping they are confining. Two person UL tents like shire offer far more room and Lightweight and are comfortable to move around and prepare a hot meal in the vestabule. But might be out of your price range for the weight.

http://www.rei.com/product/779205
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    Are you open to single-wall tents, or focused on double-wall? To keep cost down would you be open to making your own tent from a pattern?

Double wall (4 season tents) are well above the price range suggested for this thread.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=4+season+tent
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

"Double wall (4 season tents) are well above the price range suggested for this thread."

The terms "double wall" and "4 season" are not synonymous. You can certainly find a 3-season double wall solo tent in the $100 - $150 price range if you poke around at places like spadout.com, sierratradingpost.com, etc.

When I'm not in my hammock I use an Eureka Spitfire one man tent. $100, 3lbs...it's a "good" tent.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++