WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maine AT report

Default Maine AT report

Baxter was still a-buzz (pun intended) about OneLeg's rescue. The radio is still on top of Fort Mnt. Still doesn't work, though... There's been a few bears around Katahdin Stream Campground - hope they're around this weekend when I return with Chatterbox and BrotherBear for the meteor shower and the 200th anniversary of the first recorded climb to Katahdin's summit.

Meanderthal? Is you out there? There's something left for you at the Ranger's cabin.

Recent GAMErs at Katahdin: Skinny Stumble Puffy NatureWonderer Cowboy Wildhorse Hoss Rocky Fozzy DeadLung Scorpion RainbowBright LadyWren SrWren FirstLight B4FirstLight WolfWind Sauerkraut (Flippers: HippieLongStocking JohnGalt CoughDrop Stumpknocker <--with a 2AM start up Katahdin)

Rambunny and Sobo the Wonderdog are off on RB's 4th thru in 5 years, first time as sobo w/fido.

Me: "When'd you start?" He: "17 years ago!" Congrats, sincere congratulations, to GrayLocks on his completion of his multiyear section hike!

Some Hiking Highlights: The MerryVista campers who sang me a chorus of StarSong after I gave them a big ziplock of grapes at Rainbow Stream. I gave them the grapes after seeing they had cleaned up the area and were planning on taking other people's garbage with them all the way to Katahdin! Tented that night next to Boo, a kilted sectioneer with a super attitude, who raved about Bill and Linda's WhiteHouse Landing. Told her Nesuntabunt is a Penobscot word meaning 'You'll be glad at the top."

Linda the massage therapist and waitress extrodinaire in Monson is getting lots of volunteer help from hikers passing through in fixing up her wonderful building on Main Street. Somebody said Keith Sr and Pat Shaw were retired - HA! Keith was driving hikers to Katahdin and Pat was making beds and cooking while I was there, some retirement! Sidney the Pie Lady was getting in 60 pounds of blueberries, enough to last the rest of August - maybe.

Best Barbeque north of Virginia is Spring Creek in Monson Maine!

Met FlyBoy, LekiLess, Bull, Camel, and a young couple doing an AT documentary (how novel) at the Kennebec Ferry Crossing. Got an earful from the Ferryman about SloeToe's adventure at the Kennebec. Say it ain't so 'Toe...

Teej
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have a followup on Rambunny. She has been at The Cabin in Andover Maine for a week or two now working out an injury. She does not know whether she cracked, broke or just bruised one of her ribs. So she is taking time off to heal and helping Honey and Bear with shuttles and what ever else.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Teej---

That was a great report, especially the news on who has just finished.

Thanx for sending it along.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    Met FlyBoy, LekiLess, Bull, Camel, and a young couple doing an AT documentary (how novel) at the Kennebec Ferry Crossing....
    If they're with Leki-less, then I'm guessing that "young couple" is Heather and Arwen, aka "The Camera Crew." They started March 1 and they have a Trail Journal.

Rain Man

Default Northbounders aplenty

Today, 9 more thru-hikers crossed the Kennebec River: Lucky Dog (3-17) Happy Feet (2-29) Achilles (4-11) Dave and Miranda, SoCo, Le Buick Roadmaster (5-2) Matt from Chitown (4-11) and Daybreak who started at Porter's Gap, AL on Mar 29 and is headed for the Gaspe Peninsula on the International AT. Well over a hundred thru-hikers have crossed the Kennebec en route to Katahdin and well over 100 southbounders have crossed the Kennebec headed for Georgia. All hikers report great weather save a few showers and this year is shaping up to be one of the better GA to ME completion rates. Teej, feels great to be in the midst of the thru-hiker rush and while Sloetoe got my full attention, (5 hikers waited one hour for the show to be over) it's just a reminder for me to be ever more vigilant while tending to the front line ferry service assignment. And yes, my skin gets a little thicker too! Well it's Tuesday and that means it's "all the Taco's you can eat" for five dollars at Three Rivers up the road and away Daydream, Matt and I go. Be sure to catch the next installment of the Maine AT Report as ferryman turns "data geek" and compiles the very latest statistics on hikers at the AT Kennebec River Ferry Service. Until later, Steve Longley

Journal Entries
    Images

Default OneLeg Update!

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    Baxter was still a-buzz (pun intended) about OneLeg's rescue. .................................................. .................................................. ..............................etc.,etc,etc,etc,etc ,................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................................Teej

For those that care:

"OneLeg" is heading back to Maine...& will re-start his SOBO hike @ Abol bridge this thursday or friday Aug. 12 or 13th.

i talked with him yday (monday Aug 9) & he was in good spirits & ready to get back on the trail. He (& his family) visited Middle-Tennessee over the weekend, enjoyed a picnic with Lane Milliken & family, Model T & yours truly......

He has a few folks hiking SOBO with him thru several sections...even Jack is gonna hike a few miles with OneLeg...last i heard.

Ya'll keep OneLeg's safe journey in your thoughts & prayers!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Quote Originally Posted by ferryman
    Teej, feels great to be in the midst of the thru-hiker rush and while Sloetoe got my full attention, (5 hikers waited one hour for the show to be over) it's just a reminder for me to be ever more vigilant while tending to the front line ferry service assignment.
    Steve, I'm certain what you do for us saves lives. And after watching the river rise and the current increase as you ferried hiker after hiker across the Kennebec this past weekend I'm more convinced of that than ever. Thank you very much.

Teej
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Default "to be ever more vigilant..."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ferryman
    Teej, feels great to be in the midst of the thru-hiker rush and while Sloetoe got my full attention, (5 hikers waited one hour for the show to be over) it's just a reminder for me to be ever more vigilant while tending to the front line ferry service assignment.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Perhaps you might explain your reference to me and the "to be ever more vigilant..." quote to the folks at home (and me), Steve. I remain curious as to your desire to repeat your "show" in the future.

1) "To be ever more vigilant..." -- surely you're not thinking of making others' choices at the Kennebec River crossing for them? Could you explain that comment in a way that assures us all a bit?

2) What I and my sons personally witnessed (or "were subjected to") was disturbing, but I have since heard from more than one person that you have described me in our encounter 10:00-10:30-ish on August 2 in terms including "belligerent" and "aggressive". (The AT grapevine being what it is (valuable, quick, but sometimes a bit over-enthusiastic) Steve, I'll take your direct word over anything else I hear.) But since the entire show was initiated, pursued, and fed by you, I'd hope you'd agree that my overall lack of response(s) would not accurately be termed belligerent or aggressive.

3) The other end of the grapevine spectrum I've heard was "Hell yeah, you can ford the Kennebec -- two 10 year olds just did it." I find that VERY disturbing. Warren Doyle has described here how his kids at 8 and 10 forded the river, but as with my kids Warren, I'll bet the Kennebec was hardly your kids' first time in current, either -- but that sort of thing does not seem to grace the kind of "Hell, yeah..." comment quoted above. So before things go too much further: NO ONE SHOULD CONSIDER FORDING THE KENNEBEC (OR ANY RIVER) WHO'S NOT EXPECTING/PREPARED TO *SWIM* IT.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sloetoe
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ferryman
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Perhaps you might explain your reference to me and the "to be ever more vigilant..." quote to the folks at home (and me), Steve. I remain curious as to your desire to repeat your "show" in the future.

1) "To be ever more vigilant..." -- surely you're not thinking of making others' choices at the Kennebec River crossing for them? Could you explain that comment in a way that assures us all a bit?

2) What I and my sons personally witnessed (or "were subjected to") was disturbing, but I have since heard from more than one person that you have described me in our encounter 10:00-10:30-ish on August 2 in terms including "belligerent" and "aggressive". (The AT grapevine being what it is (valuable, quick, but sometimes a bit over-enthusiastic) Steve, I'll take your direct word over anything else I hear.) But since the entire show was initiated, pursued, and fed by you, I'd hope you'd agree that my overall lack of response(s) would not accurately be termed belligerent or aggressive.

3) The other end of the grapevine spectrum I've heard was "Hell yeah, you can ford the Kennebec -- two 10 year olds just did it." I find that VERY disturbing. Warren Doyle has described here how his kids at 8 and 10 forded the river, but as with my kids Warren, I'll bet the Kennebec was hardly your kids' first time in current, either -- but that sort of thing does not seem to grace the kind of "Hell, yeah..." comment quoted above. So before things go too much further: NO ONE SHOULD CONSIDER FORDING THE KENNEBEC (OR ANY RIVER) WHO'S NOT EXPECTING/PREPARED TO *SWIM* IT.
    Well. I certainly agree with sloe toe's last sentence. But you have all aroused our curiosity. But aside from that. IN the interest of future safety. What the f---k are you all trying to say -- or perhaps, more accurately, trying to avoid saying.

Weary

Default eyewitness accounts

Below is an unsolicited, non-whiteblaze associated account of what happened on the river that day in August. It is from a 22 yo guy from Michigan named Matt. It is on: http://thruhiker04.blogspot.com/2004...francos-1.html

He apparently was one of the hikers that waited the hour:

Crazy stories:

First thing out of Caratunk we crossed the Kennebec River, which is the biggest, wildest river in Maine for sure and officially the most potentially dangerous crossing of the whole AT. The official route is actually not fording the river, since dams upstream make the currents insane, but rather being ferried across by Steve, the ferryman, in his canoe. Well, Steve took Ali and Kate across the river, and left me and Celtic (very cool middle-aged British/Welsh/Marylandese guy we hike with from time to time) on the shore, but as they were being ferried across, from the opposite shore three people suddenly bolted out of the woods and into the water, trying to ford, and thus, earn mega-hardcore points. Except they got stuck in the middle, where there was a kindof sandbar, and Steve the ferryman saw them, and quick as lightning Steve is canoeing upstream, standing up, chasing these guys down. "Guys" is kinda inaccurate though, as it was one tiny old man and his two little kids, not more than 10 or 11. There was much yelling and swearing and a monumental lack of cooperation as they inched their way across the river, since this guy refused to even put his kids in the canoe. So he earned major idiot points for risking not only his own life, but his kids', crossing this river, and held us up an hour to boot. An exciting way to return to the trail.
    "If I get started in the right direction, I just might get to where I want to go." -- Tab Benoit

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default just some added comments...

Quote Originally Posted by pcm25
    Below is an unsolicited, non-whiteblaze associated account of what happened on the river that day in August. It is from a 22 yo guy from Michigan named Matt. It is on: http://thruhiker04.blogspot.com/2004...francos-1.html

"Guys" is kinda inaccurate though, as it was one tiny old man and his two little kids, not more than 10 or 11. .
    First: let me say I wasn't there...

Second: I got a hoot out of the discription of SloeToe, sorry my friend but it is funny.

Third: I know he put a lot of thought into this crossing, it was not spur of the momment. He discussed it with me weeks before the event.

Fourth: I have to say the KR was so low and quiet when we went over I could see where someone would consider crossing it without the assistants of "Steve". I am told though that the river can rise very unexpectantly from the damn and since the river is so wide it is unlikely that you could get across. After my river ride on the Piscataquis I know that it would be impossible to swim across when the river current is raging. I took all the following river crossings very very carefully.

Fifth: I asked Steve about the event, since I heard SloeToe's side I wanted Steve's side. He did not elaborate on the story nor did he really bad mouth Sloetoe. I thought he was very cool and not out to tear anyone down. He had his opinion and SloeToe had his.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

On Sept 11, 2004 there were a lot of hikers sitting on top of Katahdin celebrating. Here is a list of those I can remember: Ladybug, Mad Hatter, Lwop, BearBag Hanger, Hobbit, Hobbes, Cotton, Tapeworm, 65 and Alive, Bluebird, Flora, Fauna, Dharma, Rambashaun (sp), 2 cents, and so many more I just can't pull up all the names from my memory banks just now. We had rain on 9/9 and 9/10 so there was a 3 day back up.

Bilbo and someone else summited on 9/9 but the wind was so strong they had to crawl the last mile or so and one even had some of his clothing ripped up by the force of the wind. Five others who attempted it that day turned around.

We had a Class 1 day and I was so glad we waited... Yeap, I was there!! I'm still smiling ear to ear. Hammock Hanger
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

Images

Default I'mmmm a tinyyyy oldddd mannnnnnn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock Hanger
    Second: I got a hoot out of the description of SloeToe, sorry my friend but it is funny.
    ### I think he forgot "delicate" too, but what the hey -- poetic license and all [!] (I'm 6'1" and run ultramarathons, for those who don't know me; my kids are "all boy" and think that the only reason to hike is to swim in cold, fast current -- 54*F one morning on this hike -- and want Daddy to buy 'em a whitewater boat cuz renting takes too long. Yeah.)

Third: I know he put a lot of thought into this crossing, it was not spur of the momment. He discussed it with me weeks before the event.
    ### Actually, 25 years ago... but
    http://www.backcountry.net/arch/at/0110/msg00581.html

Fourth: ... After my river ride on the Piscataquis I know that it would be impossible to swim across when the river current is raging. I took all the following river crossings very very carefully.
    ### Did it look like a frappachino? Frappachino water definitely scares me.

Fifth: I asked Steve about the event, since I heard SloeToe's side I wanted Steve's side. He did not elaborate on the story nor did he really bad mouth Sloetoe. I thought he was very cool and not out to tear anyone down. He had his opinion and SloeToe had his.
    ### Then he's reformed his ways considerably. Believe me: I'm OK with that.
    sloetoe
    (missing a hike already)

Images

Hydro-electric dam releases,

Upriver from the crossing at Caratunk, at The Forks, there is a sign beside the picnic area that says the Kennebec river can rise five feet in one minute.
    The river is narrower there as it goes underneath the bridge and it is much deeper but that still is a lot of increase in water volume in a few minutes. At least one person has drowned while fishing in the gorge below the dam because he could not get out of the way fast enough.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by walkin' wally
    Hydro-electric dam releases,

Upriver from the crossing at Caratunk, at The Forks, there is a sign beside the picnic area that says the Kennebec river can rise five feet in one minute.
    The river is narrower there as it goes underneath the bridge and it is much deeper but that still is a lot of increase in water volume in a few minutes. At least one person has drowned while fishing in the gorge below the dam because he could not get out of the way fast enough.
    And of course a thru hiker drowned 20 years or so ago. Hikers from the time of Myron Avery have been advised that the Kennebec is dangerous to ford. The formal ferry service was inaugurated after the hiker death, but people have offered ferry service in Caratunk since the 1930s at least.

I never did have a good sense of balance and it hasn't gotten any better as the years go on so I have never attempted a ford. But I respect those who choose differently. Questions still remains in my mind. Did sloetoe and his twins finally make it across on their own? What were the problems, if any, except from an annoying ferryman?

BTW the ferryman was doing his job when he attempted to help. Whether or not a rescue was needed in this incident, it has been needed many times in the past.

Weary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary
    1) Did sloetoe and his twins finally make it across on their own?
    2) What were the problems, if any, except from an annoying ferryman?
    3) BTW the ferryman was doing his job when he attempted to help.
    Weary
    1) Yes.
    2) None.
    3) Whoa no. I would like to see where "harrassment", "threatening", or "endangerment" fall in the job description. I talked to my kids this weekend, and they are still traumatized by the whole ordeal, and wonder why I didn't much respond to all the drama. (And the reason I didn't respond, for the record, is that I needed to remain "on task" -- the river would not have cared about any debates going on mid-stream if it had started to rise, would it?)

Images

Default the boys..

Quote Originally Posted by sloetoe
    I talked to my kids this weekend...
    Next time you talk with Bug & Mr. Magic tell them that Hammock Hanger says hello!!

I have a couple of pics of you and them in the photo gallery. If you send me your home email addy I'll forward the onw of them in Gorham with the moose.

Hammock Hanger

I am sorry to see the tone of this thread deteriorating.

I have known Steve Longley for many years, and I have a very real problem believing he was harassing, threatening, or, most of all, endangering anyone. Steve has spent the better part of two decades safeguarding people's lives, and from having discussed this subject with him, I'm confident that he intervened in the situation for the simple reason that he felt that people were at risk.

It is a pity that this matter is still being hashed over. I understand that there are two sides of this argument and that both sides see things differently; I also am sure that Sloetoe, who loves his kids very much, would not knowingly put them at risk. On the other hand, it cannot be argued that fording the Kennebec is NEVER without risk; after all, the folks who've lost their balance or their packs, or have had close calls, or certainly the poor unfortunate who drowned there....none of them expected any of that to happen either. Fording the Kennebec is a risky proposition and always has been; this is why there's a canoe ferry in place there.

What needs to be remembered here is that Steve Longley was attempting to do his job, which is to safeguard lives at the Kennebec River crossing in Caratunk. It is not Steve's style to threaten, harass, or endanger people.
    On the contrary, a great ammount of his life has been dedicated to doing just the opposite, and he's done it for little pay, little recognition, and and for very little thanks.

Word to the Class of 2005: Fording the Kennebec River, despite one's "experience" in the backcountry or with rivers, and despite what you may have heard or learned from other hikers about the best ways to ford the river "safely", is ALWAYS a risky thing to do. Many people have had close calls while attempting to ford. At least one person has died doing so. It is the considered opinion of the Appalachian Trail Conference, the Maine Appalachian Trail Club, and of Steve Longley, who knows that river crossing better than anyone alive----that fording the river is not wise policy. I concur with this view; I simply don't think it's a very good idea, nor do I think it is something that one should encourage other people to do, either on the Internet or anywhere else. As to the propriety of children fording the river or being encouraged to do so, I'd rather not comment; parents are generally the best judges of what their children are capable of, but the problem is when unforseen circumstances supercede people's judgment.

I'm very sorry this situation arose, because I know all of the people involved and they're all good people: Sloetoe undoubtedly feels that a "rescue" or other intervention was not called for; Steve and other eyewitnesses evidently feel differently.

There's a very simple solution to keep unpleasant scenes like this from recurring in the future.

Fording the Kennebec River in Caratunk, when all is said and done, is manifestly dangerous and is never without real risk. The wisest course is for folks to take the ferry and do their river fordings elsewhere.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

PLEASE STAND FOR THE GOSPEL OF ABBEY!

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to set off on their own, and no obstacles should be placed in their path; let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches - that is the right and privilege of any free American."

" Most people have no business having children. They are unqualified, either genetically or culturally or both, to reproduce such sorry specimens as themselves. Of all our privileges, the license to breed is the one most grossly abused."

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve
    PLEASE STAND FOR THE GOSPEL OF ABBEY!

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to set off on their own, and no obstacles should be placed in their path; let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches - that is the right and privilege of any free American."

" Most people have no business having children. They are unqualified, either genetically or culturally or both, to reproduce such sorry specimens as themselves. Of all our privileges, the license to breed is the one most grossly abused."

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!
    PLEASE CHILL OUT FOR THE GOSPEL OF MARIN!

"You ever had a taco? I guess they don't have tacos in France. I remember one time this restaurant I used to work . . . err . . . I mean, own. They had a contest to see who could eat the most. I ate 143, and I was still hungry, but they had to close the restaurant."

THANKS BE TO CHEECH MARIN!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++