WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MintakaCat View Post
    That sound is still music to my ears. It's as if an old friend is saying "relax while I heat this meal for you.....all is well with the world."

It's hard to describe just how, but many a time when I was cold and wet on a trip, the SVEA just took the edge off.
    Winter is blowing in. We're going to have ours with us this weekend.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Journal Entries
    Images

I checked out the Optimus 8R. Ha, ha, no way I'll carry that thing. I'd carry the SVEA before the Optimus 8R.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
    I checked out the Optimus 8R. Ha, ha, no way I'll carry that thing. I'd carry the SVEA before the Optimus 8R.
    Loved by those who cook for groups in remote places, IE, high mountain base camps, canoe camps etc.

Journal Entries
    Images

Take-A-Knee: OK, answer me this question. (I have a alcohol stove.) Would the elevations and cooler temps of the CDT rule out taking this? I would like to take one stove and not switch unless I have too. I thought about using it in the Southern part and then switching to SVEA or MSR, etc. By the way, thanks for the reply about the Optimus 8R.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)

Journal Entries
    Images

OK, it looks like that there Caldera Cone would beat the cool temps. Are the elevations on CDT high enough to affect an alcohol stove? (I don't think so). Anyone with experience? Thanks. The Cone would be lots lighter then the SVEA. I a m not stuck on the SVEA!!!!!!!!!!

The Optimus is basically a modified SVEA in its own protective case.

OK, it looks like that there Caldera Cone would beat the cool temps. Are the elevations on CDT high enough to affect an alcohol stove? (I don't think so). Anyone with experience? Thanks. The Cone would be lots lighter then the SVEA. I a m not stuck on the SVEA!!!!!!!!!!
    I've never hiked above 9,000 ft so I can't answer from my experience. Any alcohol stove will weigh a lot less than a SVEA, that is with a 4-5 day resupply interval, with 10+ days between resupply, cold weather increased use etc the weight of the alcohol itself becomes prohibitive. Some alcohol stove suck in the cold, the Caldera cone has a good rep, though I haven't used mine much below freezing yet. I like the Cone and that's what I mostly use now in the Southeast. If you had to melt snow, the SVEA would be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    The Optimus is basically a modified SVEA in its own protective case.
    You are correct,pretty much the same stove...in a different layout. I actually prefer the 8R,not sure why though. It seems to be more user friendly,not like either are not user friendly though.

Great vintage gear.

Quote Originally Posted by mudcap View Post
    You are correct,pretty much the same stove...in a different layout. I actually prefer the 8R,not sure why though. It seems to be more user friendly,not like either are not user friendly though.

Great vintage gear.
    Anyone else out there remember fierce arguments about the merits of these two stove (and the Primus 71l). It got crazy sometimes. Only the SVEA remains in the market.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Anyone else out there remember fierce arguments about the merits of these two stove (and the Primus 71l). It got crazy sometimes. Only the SVEA remains in the market.

As a die-hard SVEA fan and owner for over 30 years, I will give the 8R kudos for being more stable. But that's it! No other compliments!!!!

Ok, maybe just one more. Lots of folks like 'em.

Wandering Vagabond
    Images

I have the Optimus 88 setup. You just don't see that much on the trail these days, or even back 30 years ago.

Journal Entries
    Images

OK, back to the drawing boards. Looking for the good whitegas stove to hike CDT. Figuring on more then 5 days between resupply. Figuring on cold and some snow. So I guess that rules out Alcohol. I have had experience with Whitegas only in long distance hiking (that and wood fires). I have a Trangia and my only bet is going to keep reading and when it gets nice a cold out take it out and try it with Caledera cone. Any advice? I won't rule out SVEA. But I wonder about weight between it and MSR Whisperlight. I would ahve to decide what size gas bottle to take.

El Sordo
    Images

For whatever it's worth, if you're looking for a white gas stove I don't think you can beat the Svea 123. Just remember to have something to insulate the fuel tank from the ground or snow or ice or whatever you are sitting the stove on.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

My wife and i use an MSR Simmerlite stove year round with good succes.
    It's one of the lighter white gas stoves and is very adjustable from a simmer, as the name implies, to a flame that would launch the space shuttle, your choice with the turn of a valve. We've had it for years and it's been trouble free. Once a year I take the stove completely apart and give it a good cleaning and replace a couple of o-rings in the pump. I feel comfortable recommending it because of the years of trouble free operation it's given us.

Images

I have a 123 (along with "a few" other stoves), but I think that over the years, I've used my Optimus 99 more than any other stove. Aside from the fact that the aluminum body was lighter, and the fact that the removable lid doubled as a small pot, the roar of the burner always seemed comforting somehow. (Yes, some of the same attributes as a 123, but in a square form instead of a round one.)

"Failed to light"??? Note for next trip: check fuel tank for fuel!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

One of my camping buddies has a Whisperlite. Took it up on McKinley 30 years ago so there will NEVER be another stove as good according to him. He takes a field maintenance kit because it can be finicky. Last time out (cold @ 9000') he had to field strip it and give it a cleaning. Said that the last person to turn it off probably just turned the fuel off at the source and did not extinguish the flame on the stove - and while it burned out left a carbon deposit. You will also need to carry a windscreen of some type as the burner has no protection. The newer SVEA's have a pin to clean a clogged burner. I have a SVEA purchased 35 years ago myself that has always fired up after years of inactivity.

I collect Svea 123's and really all those older model brass stoves. Got some Russian versions. lot's of German types, the Nepal type (huge), even the one used by Thor Heyerdale on the Kontiki, it got water logged, watch the documentary. I love 'em and still use 'em. Want to get rid of yours to a good home? Contact me!!! I might put together a video of them all burning at the same time; sounds like a flight deck...

Journal Entries

Default Svea 123

I used my Svea 123 on my '06 AT thru-hike, till Pinkham Notch where I sent stove, fuel bottle, & cookkit home to save weight and went cold the rest of the way. I'm planning to use a Pepsi alcohol stove on the PCT next year, but my heart will be with the Svea. However, you do need earplugs when it gets going.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicentra View Post
    Got stoves? My friend's collection.

Great pic,makes me long for my Optimus 111. I gave it to the scouts a few years back,it will surely feed a troop.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++