WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Congratulations, Winton!!

Some of you may be interested in knowing that Winton Porter, the longtime proprietor of the the Walasi-Yi Center/Mountain Crossings at Neel Gap, Georgia, has just had a book published. It's called Just Passin' Thru, and is a memoir of his years meeting and helping hikers at his shop, which is, of course, directly on the Appalachian Trail.

From everything I've heard (I've only read excerpts), the book is wonderful.

For anyone who lives nearby, there's a book signing at Mountain Crossings tomorrow afternoon (Sat. 17 October) and I hope some of you can make it.

I also hope some of you take a minute and send Winton a quick message here. Winton has probably met more thru-hikers than anyone else in the past decade; he's certainly helped more of them than anyone else, and he's probably saved hundreds of people their hikes.

In short, he's a very special guy, he's one of the finest people the A.T. community has, and I hope some of you will join me in wishing him a great day tomorrow, and great success with his book.

Images

Congratulations Winton. Met you briefly a year or so ago. Looking forward to reading your book.

Excellent! Congratulations Winton! Here's wishing you much success on the book run. I'll always be thankful for all the help you gave me when I passed thru there this year.

Of course watching Jack break into a sweat as he tried to inventory a truck load of new Keen boots was worth the visit too!

Actually, I'm wearing some of those Keens right now......Winton fitted them for me back in March and they're doing great.

Images

Default Congratulations

Congratulations Winton !! I was very impressed when I visited your store several years ago. Bought an A/T t-shirt which I still have.
    God Bless.... BrotherAL
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

Winton -- Congratulations! I'm sorry I can't make the book signing/big horkin' party. I look forward to reading what has to be an interesting, engaging read.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Winton -- Congratulations! I'm sorry I can't make the book signing/big horkin' party.
    horkin'??

I had to google it....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=horkin%27

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Are you that bored you had to google that? Which explanation do you believe?

Congrats Winton,very cool!

How do we order the book? And Congrats!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Is it right to say you "googled it" if you looked it up on urbandictionary? A great resource never the less. Sometimes you can find an entire list of synonyms I understand.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Ahhh! I believe the mother Trail Dames group will be gathering to celebrate the book signing this weekend. I'll be along in April representing the Delaware Valley Chapter of TD and hope to offer my personal congrats then.

For now, Way to Go!

Images

Congrats Winton ! Gonna order one now.

Hope to visit Mountain Crossings one day.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Looking forward to picking up a copy. Best Wishes to a great guy.
    J D Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mudcap View Post
    Are you that bored you had to google that?
    well, i guess if i was as smart as you i wouldn't have to look up things i don't know, which i'm never too bored to do.

Images

congrats to you winton!! thanks for the supplies and advice!!

I'm happy for him - he's a good guy and provides excellent customer service.

It strikes me that while there are many good outfitters and others businesses providing good customer/hiker service along the AT, Winton has special challenges because he faces the crush of all the prospective thruhikers and thruhiker wannabes, all compressed in a short period of time. In helping so many lost and homesick souls, I'd imagine he needs (and has) a lot more patience and perseverance than I would.

Congrats Winton!

Images

I bought my ULA P-2 from Winton and the service he provided was top notch. Still have and love that pack. Congrats Winton!! Will definately be on my xmas list this year.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Jack, thanks for the info. What a great title, Just Passin' Thru. Winton good luck with your book. Can't make it up to the book signing today, but I will drive up from Atlanta and purchase the book at Mountain Crossings. Also wanted to add a thank you for all the blood, sweat and tears that you have put into keeping Neel Gap relevant and reliable to the AT experience.

Images

Winton,
    Sorry I could not make it tonight. Congrats for the new book. Hope it makes top of the best seller list...
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++