WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Budget For AT Airfare

I am working on my budget for the upcoming AT trip . I gave a good grip on food ,gear replacement, and hostel stays. But I have no idea about the airfare back from Maine. I havent flew since I was a tennager. So what should I budget for the airfare home? I will be flying into Knoxville, TN .Does Bangor have a "Lets Get Rid Of The Thru Hikers Fare"
    All endeavors require some blood, I just wish it wasn't always my blood:)

Garlic
    Images

It's easy enough to get bus rides to Portland then a train to Boston, and then a flight out of there. Check Amtrak's website, then Expedia or Travelocity for airfare estimates. Pretend you are going to fly tomorrow or the next day to get worst-case estimates (ouch!). You probably won't be able to schedule a week or more in advance to get decent fares, but you might want to try when you see the last-minute fares. Once you leave Millinocket you'll just be a bum.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Best airfare prices are always found by using Kayak.com, although it doesn't include Southwest.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

wow impressed with your budgeting I must say.
    I'd think flying out of a major hub like Boston can save money if you can get down there via bus. But I have seen hikers take trains also.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

My wife (Tag-along) took the train home (out of Boston) to Georgia and were quite happy with that. It was much cheaper than flying and Amtrak allowed last minute rescheduling at no extra charge. You could connect with Amtrak further north in Portland as well.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for the Kayak tip, The Weasel.

I will use it for non AT trips.

Out of curiosity I looked up the price for a 1-way trip from Portland, MA to Atlanta for October 31st. $135 including the taxes. Five different carriers had multiple flights for $150 or under. That with a reservation a couple weeks in advance, of course.

Images

The bus that goes south from BGR(Cyr?) goes to Logan and South Station, the last time I read a schedule.

2010 complete

also consider www.airtran.com that airline is not listed on kayak.

Air fares are highly volitile and what they will be in 9 months is anyones guess. Your best bet is to bugget a lot of money, then check for fares when you get someplace in Maine and can guesstimate a finishing time. Midweek, major hub, non-holiday, booked at least 2 weeks in advance will give you the best deals.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks All. I didnt even think about a train I Have never riden a train so that might be cool plus it might also help with the adjustment back to society.

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Looking at flights from Portland, Maine to Knoxville the cost right now is $233. Two weeks ago I booked a flight from Portland to Ft. Myers, Florida for my brother... cost $110 including airport taxes.

a year ago I paid around $240 for a flight from Manchester, NH to Nashville, TN via Southwest. that flight was booked 3 days prior to departure.

From Millinocket I was able to hitch to Portland, ME. From there I took the Amtrak into NH where I had relatives pick me up. Though I could have taken the same train all the way to Boston. The train train ticket was fairly inexpensive.

If I were to budget transportation back, I'd probably plan on 300 or maybe 400 to be safe.

Fly out of Bangor it is closer.

Default Greyhound bus

You can get a greyhound bus from Bangor MA to Boston.

Images

You may want to take the train all the way to DC. I was amazed at how reasonably priced it was. Then grab a flight from DC to Knoxville.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Good luck on the train; last I checked Amtrak service to Tennessee was pretty spotty.

If you're gonna fly, look at Bangor or Boston.

Lastly, keep in mind that the fall's biggest hiker event, the ALDHA Gathering, is in early October in West Virginia (see www.aldha.org)

You may well find a ride down to the event from New England, and there'll be plenty of folks there heading back to Tennessee.

A long ways away but something to think about, maybe.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Good luck on the train; last I checked Amtrak service to Tennessee was pretty spotty.

If you're gonna fly, look at Bangor or Boston.

Lastly, keep in mind that the fall's biggest hiker event, the ALDHA Gathering, is in early October in West Virginia (see www.aldha.org)

You may well find a ride down to the event from New England, and there'll be plenty of folks there heading back to Tennessee.

A long ways away but something to think about, maybe.

Thanks Jack, I am guessimating I will finish in late Sept. so the meet up in WV would be a great ending or beginning for this wild dream of mine.

++ New Posts ++