WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: circular pits

Default circular pits

I saw several circular pits, the size ranged from 15 to 20 feet in diameter to one very large pit on the trail between Harpers Ferry and Boiling springs. Any ideas on their purpose?

Alien landing sites

Don't dig too deep, you'll disturb the bones.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

You didn't give any details (a hole is not just a hole, you know)

Old? Stone-lined? Could be charcoal pits, otherwise I'd go with the aliens.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

That was a quarry area for mining and old furnaces.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    That was a quarry area for mining and old furnaces.
    Well that's just entirely implausible. . . I'm going with alien landing. . .

Images

If you were in an area where there had been a railroad operating 150 years ago, they could have been the remains of some old roundhouses (there's one of these near the Rausch Gap Shelter in Pa.). If they were more of a clearing and less of an actual pit, they might have been the remains of old charcoal hearths (clearings in the woods where they used to turn wood into charcoal for the iron industry 150 years ago - these dot the mountains in Pa.).

Otherwise, alien landing pads seems as plausible as any other explanation! (seems EVERYONE wants to hike the trail these days)
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

If they are big circular pits, I am willing to bet they were old charcoal pits - Where wood was buried and burned slowly to create charcoal for the blast furnaces.
    Most of the turntables/roundhouses i've seen in Northern PA are all directly on the old shay lines at the top of the climb or at the very bottom of the climb, and aren't much deeper than the rail-line itself.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

GA-ME 2011
    Images

More info on the charcoal industry.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/cato/culthist/char-iron.htm

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

Default pits

Just North of Harpes Ferry there are pits overlooking the river which were suposed to be dug and used by solgers during Revolutionary War to observe the enemy in Harpers Ferry. I have not ben there in a long time.

Images

Landing pads for Balloon boy
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Whatever you do, don't try to shave them.

charcoal making, as shown in the link was done on a flat spot. When I passed these neatly dug areas a few years ago, my first thought was that they were pits where clay was dug for local pottery's

Images

There are in a number of areas ringing Harpers Ferry the remains of rifle pits and artillery positions from the Civil War. Some dug for example, during the September 1862 Sharpsburg Campaign.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    If you were in an area where there had been a railroad operating 150 years ago, they could have been the remains of some old roundhouses (there's one of these near the Rausch Gap Shelter in Pa.). If they were more of a clearing and less of an actual pit, they might have been the remains of old charcoal hearths (clearings in the woods where they used to turn wood into charcoal for the iron industry 150 years ago - these dot the mountains in Pa.).

Otherwise, alien landing pads seems as plausible as any other explanation! (seems EVERYONE wants to hike the trail these days)
    On the AT approaching the center of Fahenstock SP there's a section south of Rte 301 that was a charcoal production area in the 19th Century. This may explain why sections of the trail here run along stone causeways and in other areas the trail is hewn from rock faces. I'm thinking these may have been cartways or the road beds for narrow-gauge railroads.

The charcoal was brought from here to Cold Spring and then ferried across the Hudson to foundries at West Point where it was used in the manufacture of bullets and shells to shoot at the CSA in the Civil War.

Quote Originally Posted by XCskiNYC View Post
    On the AT approaching the center of Fahenstock SP there's a section south of Rte 301 that was a charcoal production area in the 19th Century. This may explain why sections of the trail here run along stone causeways and in other areas the trail is hewn from rock faces. I'm thinking these may have been cartways or the road beds for narrow-gauge railroads.

The charcoal was brought from here to Cold Spring and then ferried across the Hudson to foundries at West Point where it was used in the manufacture of bullets and shells to shoot at the CSA in the Civil War.
    Actually, Cold Spring itself was the home of the factory where Parrott Rifles (Civil War cannons) were made.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

lime kilms are another possability

they are in fact Sasquatch catholes. i don't recommend sleeping in one.

++ New Posts ++