WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Newer hiker friendly hostel accomodations

I hiked most of the AT 10 years ago. Looking to give it another try next year. I stayed at all the "famous" hostels along the trail: Blueberry Patch, Elmers, Kincora, Del Water Gap Church and Shaws. All these were a great value for a tired, dirty hiker.

Looking to hear about some of the newer establishments who treat hikers right. Am willing to pay a fair price for good services provided.

Thumbs up hostels

you have to try HIKER HOSTEL! Josh and Leigh are da best. you have to try them out. 16 bucks a night and breakfast!!
    ZEUS307
    "Sleep well an night, safe and sound, knowing that there are Warriors willing to go into harms way, do violence, to protect your country and your way of life" U.S. ARMY RANGERS

Quote Originally Posted by Lybarger View Post
    I hiked most of the AT 10 years ago. Looking to give it another try next year. I stayed at all the "famous" hostels along the trail: Blueberry Patch, Elmers, Kincora, Del Water Gap Church and Shaws. All these were a great value for a tired, dirty hiker.

Looking to hear about some of the newer establishments who treat hikers right. Am willing to pay a fair price for good services provided.
    Braemar Castle in Hampton. it's been there 25+ years. nobody hardly goes there

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If The Cabin ever opens again, that was a great place in ME.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

The "Happy Hiker Hollow", in Atkins, Va., is fairly new, and a fantastic place to stay. The owners, Rambunny and Aqua, are very accomodating, they both have hiked the AT more than once, and their place is about 1 mile from exit 54, interstate 81, in Southern Va. They include breakfast and supper in their price, and have shared and private rooms. I stayed there just recently, and plan to go back. Their house is an old farm house, in a beautiful setting very near the trail.
    I give the "Happy Hiker Hollow" a five star rating for hiker stays near the AT.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Braemar Castle in Hampton. it's been there 25+ years. nobody hardly goes there
    Braemar Castle is quite nice and Hampton offers a real town stop with restaurants, grocery store, post office, bar, and so forth. Too bad more folks don't stop there.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Journal Entries

Default new hostels

I haven't stayed there, but the Free State Hostel in Maryland is run by BonePac, the first nobo to summit in '06. You'd think he knows what hikers need. Also, I can't imagine a better hostess than Rambunny. She even cuts hair (for a reasonable price).

Author, Awol on the Appalachian Trail
    Images

Mountain Harbour right near the trail in Roan Mtn.

Town's Inn in Harpers Ferry is in a unique building and is as clean as they come, but not cheap.

The Green Mountain House (Manchester) and Woods Hole Hostel which reopened this year (south of Parrisburg), and The Dutch Haus (Montebello) should be on your short list. We had great experiences at each of these places. Shaws (Monson) isn't a "newer" hostel, but my wife and I loved that as well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Braemar Castle is quite nice and Hampton offers a real town stop with restaurants, grocery store, post office, bar, and so forth. Too bad more folks don't stop there.
    How do you get there? Hitch past Kincora or from W Lake north of Pond Mt.?

Quote Originally Posted by ARambler View Post
    How do you get there? Hitch past Kincora or from W Lake north of Pond Mt.?
    at hwy. 321 hitch west 2 miles

Images

What exactly is the Braemar Castle?

Images

The building, I mean. Is it just called a castle, or does it actually look like one?

Leopard:

It's not a real castle, but it is a pretty big building. It goes back many, many years, probably to the start of ther last century, when the present owner's father was one of the main businessmen in Hampton. The building was constructed to provide house his many workers, who worked in lumber, on local railroads, etc. His son and his family live there today.

As Wolf said, for many years it's been a hiker hostel, and is conveniebntly located in downtown Hampton. In recent years, many folks pass it by, as they just stayed at Kincora Hostel, ten miles back, but the Braemar is a neat place run by great folks and is well worth a visit.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Awol2003 View Post
    Mountain Harbour right near the trail in Roan Mtn.
    I second Mountain Harbour. Mary and Terry are fine folks and the breakfast is outstanding.

Although I have not been there, the AT Lodge in Millinocket is run by Ole Man and Navi who worked for Josh and Leigh at Hiker Hostel for several years. I hiked with Ole Man and from hiker comments for the last two seasons, I have heard only excellent reviews.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Leopard:

It's not a real castle, but it is a pretty big building. It goes back many, many years, probably to the start of ther last century, when the present owner's father was one of the main businessmen in Hampton. The building was constructed to provide house his many workers, who worked in lumber, on local railroads, etc. His son and his family live there today.

As Wolf said, for many years it's been a hiker hostel, and is conveniebntly located in downtown Hampton. In recent years, many folks pass it by, as they just stayed at Kincora Hostel, ten miles back, but the Braemar is a neat place run by great folks and is well worth a visit.
    Cool- thanks, I'll put it on my list!

Hiker Hostel -LOCATED in Dahlonega, GA., is really great. They also do a shuttle service for the state of GA.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    If The Cabin ever opens again, that was a great place in ME.
    Where was that Blissful? PM me.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

The Cabin is in Andover, ME. Only taking "alumni" hikers. Guess they are trying to slow down and enjoy hiker season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The Cabin is in Andover, ME. Only taking "alumni" hikers. Guess they are trying to slow down and enjoy hiker season.
    Guess I'll have to pass as I haven't sent in my AT Alumni dues.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++