WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Land's end down jacket

I saw someone mention this in another thread, but it deserved it's own post. Land's End has a new 700 fill down jacket this year that looks like it might make a good insulating layer. It's called the SnowPack 700, packs into it's own pocket, and weighs 17oz for an xl, so less than a lb for a L. My email to cust. service got me the weight, they say they'll try to find out the fill weight from the manufacturing rep. I'll update if I get an answer.

Right now it's 100$, but earlier this week it was 80$ and I'm betting that after christmas we'll see them at 50-60. Looks like it might be a pretty good deal for discount shoppers/dirtbaggers.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Thanks for the heads up.

I've been watching for an affordable used montbell inner down jacket, with no luck (that you can't find one seems to be the gold standard for "authentic this is the best" rating)

This one might make an adequate stand in.

If anyone buys one, please report back.

Grinder
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Boy I hope so - this looked mighty good to me...just waiting for a price drop. Ladies version was 14 oz which is lighter then what I have now, and I like that it packs in its pocket which is compact and would fit nicely in my pack. I looked at it in my local Sears store.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

My Lands' End down vest weighs 10 oz, so 17 for a full jacket sounds right. Good quality product, I've had my eye on that jacket, too...

Journal Entries
    Images

Yep same thing happened two years in a row with LL Bean.

Looks a little trekky or Dune, yes that Patrick Stewart wearing a black version of the same thing.

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

For $50 I'd definately snap one up. I bought their cheapy 500 fill down vest for $30, excellent investment and much lighter than a fleece.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Looks a little better than the EMS Glacier jacket that was $50 less than a year ago.

I have the EMS jacket. It is a pretty decent to good jacket, but a bit box for my tastes.

The Lands End looks more form-fitting (less dead air to heat up) and has slightly higher fill power.

Not too shabby.
    Last edited by Mags; 10-26-2009 at 18:19.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Ditto on the Vests. I picked up 2 down vest 3 years ago on closeout for $19.99. Great Deal, though they seem to be a littel more than a pound in weight.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Default 75$ today

75$ today

Lands' End takes 25% off any regular-priced men's item, including jackets, sweaters, and coats, via coupon code "NOV2" and PIN "23237929". Plus, it also bags free shipping.

I'm holding out till after christmas, I'm shooting for 60$
    I have their vest too, best 20 bucks I've spent on a new piece of outerwear. Bought a closeout one for my son for 15$ a few weeks ago.

Journal Entries
    Images

Red face hahahah me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Thanks for the heads up.

I've been watching for an affordable used montbell inner down jacket, with no luck (that you can't find one seems to be the gold standard for "authentic this is the best" rating)

This one might make an adequate stand in.

If anyone buys one, please report back.

Grinder

hahahahah! i'm laughing because I, too, am watching for an affordable used montbell thermawrap.

but after hearing how you've been unsuccessful has hinted me to the likely truth: once we buy one, we won't ever sell it.

evidently they are worth the $$.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

Images

Default That's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by smak View Post
    hahahahah! i'm laughing because I, too, am watching for an affordable used montbell thermawrap.

but after hearing how you've been unsuccessful has hinted me to the likely truth: once we buy one, we won't ever sell it.

evidently they are worth the $$.
    I bought my Montbell for $100 on sale. Got the heads up on the sale right here a year ago. Best money I ever spent on a jacket. (I spent lots more than that on a Marmot several years ago and lost it my first hike)

Images

Default l.l. Bean down jacket

Got the new llbean catalog today.
    On page 35 there is a goose down outer wear listing

They show a jacket, rated at 15 degrees, for 69 in regular sizes. Free shipping too. There is an extra zipper for a front chest pocket. No weight listed and no packing size description.

Does anyone already own one and care to take the time to comment?

I've owned some llbean stuff and it was pretty good.
    Grinder

Images

Just a follow up if you don't pour over every post like i do<g><G>

In a separate post about the LLBEAN coat, Mags told us it is a winter coat, big and bulky. He even posted a picture of one in use.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55524

I'm beginning to think even the land's end coat will be pretty heavy duty. The temperature rating is comparable to the LLBEAN. It weighs 17 Oz, which is twice what a montbell weighs (8 oz versus 17 oz. prox.)

Maybe I'll finally learn my lesson and just buy the best instead of being a penny pinching miserly second class hiker <g> Remember, I said "maybe". Don't quote me</g></g>
    Grinder

Images

I bet Lewis and Clark would have jumped all over each other to get any of the "second class" stuff we have today. It may just be a fixed point of reference that leads us to believe that just because there's more expensive and quite possibly better gear out there that the lesser of cost gear is not adaquate.

<g><g>

Maybe I'll finally learn my lesson and just buy the best instead of being a penny pinching miserly second class hiker <g> Remember, I said "maybe". Don't quote me</g></g>
    I'll quote you.

Check out this Cabela's coat. Seems to be a lighter down coat more akin to what you want:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...&cm_ite=netcon

Not sure of the weight, however.

BTW, I wouldn't call the Lands End or Bean coat "2nd class"..it's just meant for a different type of activity: Stationary in very cold weather...winter camping in other words.

I think you are looking for something for shoulder season activities or quick breaks in cold weather?

</g>
    Last edited by Mags; 11-05-2009 at 14:43.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    BTW, I wouldn't call the Lands End or Bean coat "2nd class"..it's just meant for a different type of activity: Stationary in very cold weather...winter camping in other words.

I think you are looking for something for shoulder season activities or quick breaks in cold weather?

</G>
    Winter camping and everyday wear is what I had this in mind for. For every day wear, I like the durability factor. I want it to be able to be an outer jacket and not worry. I've held the WM flash jacket and it's scary light. The lands end jacket seems more like a cheap version of a jacket like the MB permafrost or WM vapor jacket at just a small weight penalty along with the compromises in warmth, fill power, etc. I don't use compromise as a dirty word, it's a tool for making decisions. When you choose between cheap light and durable, it's all a value judgement. This seems to me like a pretty good value.

I'd like the jacket for times where now I'd take a field jacket liner *and* my lands end cheap down vest. This would save me half a lb. over that setup and keep me warmer. In the long evenings of the winter, when sitting around camp around freezing or below I need a thicker poofy layer than just the field jacket liner. For short breaks I just use my shell & baselayer. If I get cold in that, I'm not in danger of sweating.

I've asked for a lands end gift certificate for christmas. I'm going to snag this as soon as it hits 60$. I'll let you know how I like it!

Images

Just got my Land's End Snowpack 700 in the mail! I'm taking it out on ShelterLeopard's shakedown hike next weekend, so I will report back. On first inspection, it looks pretty good. Kind of a PITA to stuff into the pocket, but maybe it'll be easier w/ practice.

Images

timebreaks,
    Oh Goody!!
    A real eyeball report. How big is the "stuffed in the pocket" size.
    Got a camera?? A picture of it stuffed and one of you modeling would be great!!!

TIA

Mags,
    The problem is, I don't "know" what I want. I only know what I don't want after I buy it and test it. I've never heard the term "shoulder season" before, but it's self explanatory.

I noted before that *Lots of hikers* with much more experience than I wear one of the mont bell inner parkas (apparently there is a synthetic version that looks just the same)

I know, from experience, that in addition to weight, cube is important on the trail. That pack fills up fast.

Last spring, I got through a few unexpected under 20 degrees F nights with my current gear and it wasn't too bad.The old hands were loafing around in their mont bells and looked cozy. The full dream is to have the down pants too. But that will have to wait for a year or two.
    Grinder

Last spring, I got through a few unexpected under 20 degrees F nights with my current gear and it wasn't too bad.The old hands were loafing around in their mont bells and looked cozy. The full dream is to have the down pants too. But that will have to wait for a year or two.

I use a Thermawrap by Montbell in those late/early season hikes. (Synthethic version of the down inner liner basically). They are quite nice. I also use it for winter during quick breaks.

As for the pants, if you are on budget, and don't mind something fugly, try the army liner pants:
    http://www.rddusa.com/U-S-G-I-M-65-P...ear-Us-Gi.html

They do wear as "highwaters" because they are meant to be worn with combat boots..but otherwise they are great.

I use them for camping trips and social backpacks (when I am out of my bag a bit more).
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

Some pics of the jacket stuffed into its pocket, w/ a dollar bill for size reference (size is Women's M):

http://touchinglivesonline.com/uploa...0700%20024.jpg

http://touchinglivesonline.com/uploa...0700%20025.jpg

The size of the zipper makes stuffing it in there a little fussy. I wish that it was longer and the opening was bigger. Also, there is an extra layer of pocket that serves as the stuff sack, but there seems to be a lot of extra fabric in it. I haven't been able to get the jacket to fill out the stuff sack completely. A minor quibble, I suppose, but it's just not as neat a package as, say, my Campmor rain shell, which also stuffs into its own pocket.

I will post pics of it in use after the trip! Also, I will try to get to the post office to weigh it, since I don't have a scale of my own.

Also, does anyone know how to change the size of pictures to embed them in a post and not have them take over the whole screen? My website's image editor doesn't want to resize them.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++