WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

Default complete list of all thru-hiker challenges?

Does anyone have informaition regarding this? I CANT SEEM TO FIND MORE THAN;
    1: the ice cream challenge
    2: te milk challeng; ad
    3: the quad-state challenge
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

caps-lock, sry.
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Journal Entries
    Images

The six pound burger challenge at Fattie's Diner here in Damascus. A hiker won the four pound challenge and another hiker won the five. Now we need a hiker to put down the six...

Images

maybe my brother... but hes not into hiking, too bad for the six-pounder, itll just hang there in infamy...
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

-value menu challenge at McDonalds. Eat one of everything on the McDonalds Value menu. Not that hard tho, everyone in our group finished.

-eat as many fries as miles you have done. It took six of us to finish 1300 french fries (equal to 15? king size fries at Burger King). It was disgusting, way worse than the half gallon challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by David@whiteblaze View Post
    maybe my brother... but hes not into hiking, too bad for the six-pounder, itll just hang there in infamy...
    it's not a hiker challenge. it's for anybody. the current record holder just happens to be a hiker

Eating anything at McDonald's is a challenge.

The only one that matters: finish.

But seriously, it looks like you have the big ones from what I've read. Some people will have personal big mileage challenges, like hiking 30 miles in a day. Or other challenges like the quad state challenge (40+ miles). Some crazies even try to do the state of Connecticut (~50ish miles) in a day. I'd rather enjoy it, myself. But to each their own!

A select few try to go from Kincora to Damascus in a day. The last 30 miles is easy terrain. First 30, not so much. Mostly thanks to my dear old Pond Mountain and the climb up to ridgeline from Watauga Lake.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Friendly's to Friendly's hike:

North Adams, Bennington, Manchester Center

Not really a challenge, just a joke we had this last year. Friendly's is some damn good hiker food

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Ran into some SB hikers that were doing Connecticut in 24 hours. They called it the _________ Connecticut Challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
    A select few try to go from Kincora to Damascus in a day. The last 30 miles is easy terrain. First 30, not so much. Mostly thanks to my dear old Pond Mountain and the climb up to ridgeline from Watauga Lake.
    I heard of that, but the group that I saw doing it was going from Watauga Lake Shelter to Damascus, which I think is a bit over 40 miles.
    They said a guy bet them a pair of yellow bootlaces if they did it. One of them made it, the other two didn't. I remember he was really happy to lace up the yellow.

There is a challenge on the AT route in the whites, but generally done by day hikers which is to hike the presidential ridge in one day, traditionally on June 21st. What exactly counts as the official route is up for debate, but for most it starts (or ends) at the summit of Madison and ends (or starts) at the summit of Pierce. Day hikers have to add in the climb from RT 2 via the Valley way to Madison and the hike back down to Crawford Notch via the Crawford Path. The long route usually runs from Madison to the AT crossing of Rt 302. Variations are to do it at night during a full moon. I suppose to keep it all AT, start at Crawfords Notch at the AT crossing an end down in the great Gulf.

Extra points are given for doing it at night during the winter (yes people have done it and some claim its easier!)

Images

There's a challenge in Erwin at a restaurant, I forget the name but it was right down the street from Miss Janet's place. You eat their HUGE burger and fries and it's yours for free. That burger was as big around as a large dinner plate, with all the fixins, and lots of it.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

What is the quad state challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshStover View Post
    What is the quad state challenge?
    It's hiking in Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania in a day (24 hours). You begin at the VA-WV border and end at the MD-PA border.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse View Post
    It's hiking in Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania in a day (24 hours). You begin at the VA-WV border and end at the MD-PA border.
    About how many miles is that?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshStover View Post
    About how many miles is that?
    My data book is in storage, but if I remember correctly, it's just shy of 60 miles from the VA-WV stateline to the MD-PA stateline.

Wow. Thats some serious mileage for a single day of hiking. I take it they hike through the night???

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

I believe if you are headed north. You start just south of where you cross the Shenandoah on 340, and head for Penn Marr. It's like 41 or 42 miles. Doable in the summer months, just not for this old fat guy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++