WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default 007 Challenge --- Are you up for it?

The best (and funniest) challenge I heard of is the 007 challenge. It's fairly complex:

1) Take two zero days.
    2) Hike 7 miles the next day.

I'm not sure if I completed it on my thru-hike on the AT, but I did for sure on the CT this summer.

Many will attempt, few will succeed. Good luck!

Deluxe

Images

I almost did this, this past summer! I did a two week shakedown in PA, and on day three I beasted out 19 miles because the water source (on my 1986 guidebooks... completely my fault, I know) wasn't there anymore because the trail had been relocated. Soooo dehydrated at the end of that day. And I had tons of blisters, one the size of a half dollar. So, I did the 027 the next days. (A zero, a two mile day, and a seven)

One I heard about on the PCT last year is the "24 Challenge". Not specific to any particular trail, and IMO very much not recommended, but the idea is to put in a 24 mile day in a 24 hour period and consume 24 beers along the way. Perhaps more realistic on stretches of the PCT that are a bit more mileage friendly than I understand the AT to be.

My suggestion to anyone dumb enough to try this would be to go with lite beers and use aluminum cans (not bottles!). I suspect that the few people who have tried this have all been under 30 ... (and that in general it hasn't ended well, but I dunno).

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

J.B. did that at every town stop, and he's 67
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...searchid=28271

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    One I heard about on the PCT last year is the "24 Challenge". Not specific to any particular trail, and IMO very much not recommended, but the idea is to put in a 24 mile day in a 24 hour period and consume 24 beers along the way. Perhaps more realistic on stretches of the PCT that are a bit more mileage friendly than I understand the AT to be.

My suggestion to anyone dumb enough to try this would be to go with lite beers and use aluminum cans (not bottles!). I suspect that the few people who have tried this have all been under 30 ... (and that in general it hasn't ended well, but I dunno).
    Technically, that shouldn't be a problem as technically it takes apprx. one hour to get rid of one serving of alcohol from your system, depending on body size, muscle mass, amount of body fat and gender, etc... (I used to do bartending a bit- I know, a 19 year old bar tender??? Weird.) But I dunno- you'd get readlly dehydrated and you'd have to carry 24 cans of beer before they were all gone!

in 2007 there was the one night in jersey challenge(one night of sleep), which was countered by mangrove, dash and j-beard's formal 14 which was to zero at each shelter injersey

we also had the deli challenge, which was to eat a deli sandwich for lunch, as many consecutive days as possible.

there was also the 20/20 which was to hike twenty miles twenty days in a row.
    "The best way to spend your life is to build something that will outlast it."

Images

Do they still offer the Pancake Challenge at the restaurant in Andover, ME ??????

elms. erwin had the elms challenge. the elms dinner. and it was never free.you ate. then you pay.it was like a meatloaf on a loaf of bread.ordered two once. blubird and abandon ate the second one at miss janets. they didnt charge me for it cause they knew i had no idea what i was ordering. then she took off the shake cause im a hotty.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Do they still offer the Pancake Challenge at the restaurant in Andover, ME ??????
    Not in the last 4 years that I know of. . . . but they do serve a pretty good breakfast there. . .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++