WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker
    I'm hiking all of Maine starting in mid-August and am considering sending a maildrop to WH Landing. Has anyone any experience with this?
    I do not have experience with maindrops with them but I believe that they charge for maildrops unless you spend the night. You will have to look into this.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Anyone have an updated email address for them? I tried to email them today from a google search and it got kicked back. I was thinking of staying there when I go to Maine in September to summit with my husband.

I tried this email: [email protected]

Thanks in advance.

Journal Entries
    Images

the place should be on every hikers list to stop and experience....good people and an oasis in the wilderness....

You're right Larry. Great place but if the owners don't kiss your ass right off the bat upon arrival and bow to you cuz you're a "thru-hiker" who is almost finished and don't give you free stuff then the the place sucks. Lotsa ungreatful hikers are that way. WHL rocks!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    You're right Larry. Great place but if the owners don't kiss your ass right off the bat upon arrival and bow to you cuz you're a "thru-hiker" who is almost finished and don't give you free stuff then the the place sucks. Lotsa ungreatful hikers are that way. WHL rocks!
    you said a mouthfull of truth there....

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer
    the place should be on every hikers list to stop and experience....good people and an oasis in the wilderness....
    Yeah you guys have me sold!! But....how about an updated email...anyone?

Images

Hope to see you soon!
    Linda and Bill
    P. O. Box 749
    Millinocket, Maine 04462
    Information/Reservations: (207) 745-5116

My guess is they got off the old, bad AOL e-mail and haven't updated the site.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    My guess is they got off the old, bad AOL e-mail and haven't updated the site.
    Probably right...will give them a call after I get the okay for the time off from the new job...a bit cheeky...been there a month and I want a week off at the end of September....

Gotta love contract work!!

Thanks for the info!

Images

Default White House Landing Visit Last Week

Greetings,

I'm just back from a walk from Monson to Katahdin, completing my attempt to section the AT that began in 1989. It was a hot, buggy, exhausting, exhilarating, exciting and satisfying trip. We stayed at WHL one evening last week, and I had spoken with Bill by phone before the trip, so I thought I'd make a couple of points from our experience.

Starting this year, WHL no longer accepts mail drops. Since they make only one or two trips a week into town, they were running into a problem of NOBOs mailing from Monson and showing up three or four days later thinking their drop would be there. We chose to carry all of our provisions throughout the trip, since the only other option was to spend about $100 for Shaw's to make a drop at Jo Mary Road.

Flexible/Nice vs. Rigid/Mean - We had a wonderful experience at WHL and I highly recommend it. I may end up back there someday, whether I hike the 100 mile again or not. Because it's just Bill and Linda and their 8 y/o home schooled son, they have set operating hours so they can have ample family time, which is admirable in my opinion. Lunch is 11-1, Dinner 5-6, they close the store at 7pm and breakfast is at 8 sharp. After hiking about 21 miles from East Branch Shelter plus the 1.2 mile side trail, we blew the horn at 6:15pm. Bill came right over and got us. I apologized for running a bit late and he said no problem they'd still feed us. After a one pound burger and a few beers, all was right with the world. Linda hung around a bit to get us situated and kept the shower house open after its normal closing at 8 for us.

Bill strikes me as a down to earth Mainer who gives what he gets. He was very nice to us but I can see that an entitled hiker might get told quickly to abide by the rules of the place, all of which are plainly stated. Linda was extremely nice and helpful. I can't say enough about how nice they both were to us, and how great our experience was there.

Prices - Our private cabin (the Shore House Cabin) was roomy, with four bedrooms and a great view. The two of us paid $40 each to have a bed with linens, a nice living room to relax, privacy, a shower and an AYCE breakfast that was great. The total was a little less than what we spent for a double private room and two 2X bfasts at Shaw's. I love Shaw's, but I have to say the WHL breakfast is better. For a bunk (no linens), shower and AYCE I believe it's $29.

The burgers are 6.50, 7.50 if a cheeseburger and 8.50 if you want enough fixings on them to make a small salad. They come with chips. My cheeseburger was great. Beer's 2.50, soda's a buck. They were cheaper than my burger and beers at the Holiday Inn in Bangor. A couple of other hikers loved the WHL pizza (Linda puts any leftover pizza in the fridge so you can pack it out for lunch the next day).

WHL accepts credit cards, but they charge $5 for charges up to $50 and 5% of the amount beyond that. The reason for this is that they have to get manual authorization for all calls by cell phone, and the cc processors take a chunk, usually around 4%, of the charge. All prices, and the credit card fee, are clearly posted - you can't miss them.

If you stay the night, Bill will run you a mile up the lake and beach his boat at Maher Tote Road, reducing your walk back to the trail from 1.2 to just 0.2 miles. That was nice.

Great people, great place, great experience.

Take Care,

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Rich; 07-25-2005 at 10:55.

Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

Thank you Tim for the update on the maildrops. Just in time for me to re-arrange my plans for my upcoming 100-Mile Wilderness trip.

Congratulations on finishing your section hike!!

-Ivy

Congrats, Tim! Just missed you at KSC on Friday. About WHL - while the Companion doesn't say "No Maildrops Anymore!", I did take the maildrop info (including their mailing address) out of this year's edition. Next year I will add the caution about no mail drops. Anyone know if the Trailplace book has 'no maildrops' listed? Also, and news to me, was that WHL has a 'suppers-only-if-you-spend-the-night' policy (as reported to me by two nobos this weekend).
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I'd like to chime in a bit here. We stayed there last year and had a very very positive experience. I did have a mail drop sent there, but I sent it 3 weeks ahead. Sorry to hear they no longer do that.

The one reason I often heard from folks is that they want to stay at Antlers so WHL would be too short a day further on. In my opinion Antlers is a beautiful campsite (but it can be buggy) whereas WHL is a gem. I am very glad I satyed at WHL and I'm not particularly bothered that Antlers didn't fit my itinerary.

here's the rport I wrote for that day: White House Landing report. We stayed Cooper Brook Falls leanto the night before, and had no trouble getting to WHL by around 2 in the afternoon.

So for me, WHL is a must stay. Antlers is a stay if you like.

Regards
    Pb

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Default i won't ever go back....

the guy is a jerk!

I had a great experience at WHL on my thru this year. The pizza, as someone mentioned above, is to die for. Linda popped leftovers in the fridge (yes, this thru couldn't eat it all) and I packed out the rest.

I had heard from other hikers that Bill could be "grumpy." And no, he is not overtly or annoyingly nice like us Southerners could be, but I wouldn't call him grumpy or mean. So if you don't know how to get along with someone, then you might think he's grumpy.

The cool thing, that I don't think has been mentioned, is that his dad thruhiked a few years ago, and is planning a PCT hike soon! Bill and Linda had WHL at the time, and when his dad came through, Bill realized that he could cater to hikers as well as fisherman, snowmobilers, etc. Bill told me that he read "every book" available to learn about thruhiking so he could stop worrying about his dad.

So, give Bill a break. He lives on the edge of nowhere, so almost by definition is not "normal." He likes and understands hikers, and treated my crew of hikers well - but we treated him well first.

Oh yeah, he also put a sign on the privy there that said "Mount *****ahdin is full. Please use other privy." Hilarious!
    Boomerang
    GA->ME 2005

Some hikers need thier ass kissed and to be put on a pedestal. Sounds like neighbor dave is one of them.

Images

:banana

Some hikers need thier ass kissed and to be put on a pedestal. Sounds like neighbor dave is one of them.
    some hikers need to learn how to spell!!
    hey lone wolf!!
    how's it goin' down there??? it was nice meetin' you and gypsy this past spring.
    if you can shutdown the meth lab it'd be nice to see you at the gathering,ooops,that's right,the gathering is for hikers!!!!

You're right. I'm not a hiker, just a poser. I've done very little of the AT. I just live in a trail town to be cool.
    And by the way genius, nothing is spelled wrong in my last post.
    Last edited by Lone Wolf; 08-29-2005 at 14:54.

Images

Thumbs up you're too funny!!!

i knew the schools were bad down there. maybe you should look again!!!

oh i forgot to mention,
    i did see your name carved into a lean-to somewhere along the way,i think it said,lonewolf "98"
    all the best

Wasn't me. I've never carved anything. Besides if and when I ever sign my name it's Lone Wolf not lonewolf. Whoopee! I spelled their wrong.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++