WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Images

Default WHL Resupply

I stopped in at WHL on July 15th this year on my way north. I don't know what time it was that I got to the boatdock, but pretty darned early - I don't carry a watch, and had no idea that the boat ran on a schedule or what that schedule might be - it didn't seem to be listed next to the horn that I recall.

It was a bit of a wait, but that was fine by me. The owner seemed nice enough - I bought enough food for the next day. I was early enough that I rode back to the trail with the overnight guests so I wasn't inconvienceing anyone really. Made the wilderness only require me to carry 3 days of food, and I was glad to not have to carry a fourth.

-Jay
    Journal * Photos
    "The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think, and the more anxiously I inquire, the less I seem to know.... Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly. This is enough." -John Adams

Default Voted the best hostel in the 100 mile Wilderness

I felt a little unwelcomed by Bill at WHL. The gist of what I got from my visit there was they are only a business and home for the family and hikers need to respect that. Seemed like an operation to get the hiker(s) in and have them spend some $$ and then get them out. I got admit, if you like no nonsense, then WHL will not disappoint. You can go there and be anonymous and spend good money and leave w/o having felt like you slighted anyone by not being social at all. Bill would improve his PR tremendously if he just talked and made it seemd like he had some interest in hikers. I was a little amused when he told me that they lived there since 1991 or so but only found out about the AT in 1998-ish. Maybe he was raising Ben and had no time for hiking trivia, but Bill just had no clue that hikers on the AT spend money and had done so for years in Maine. Contrast that with Curtis down at Standing Bear and how they ended up near the AT and opened a hostel soon thereafter. I would not go to WHL again now because I feel that the value of my dollars spent there was not the best. The cost of resupplying there was a tad bit high. I met some hikers that think the place is the best. The best? Hmmmmmm. I tried to analyze that one. Is it the great prices? No. Is it the location? Yes, that could be it. Is it Bill and Linda? Well, they are decent parents and hostel operators, but do not expect Rusty's or even a church hostel in Vernon, NJ treatment. So, I am neutral on that one. Is it the food they sell? Well, a burger is OK. I won't complain. I had one. They are like 1 pound of meat. Food is good. So there you go. The hostel is about the food and location.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Figaro
    I felt a little unwelcomed by Bill at WHL. The gist of what I got from my visit there was they are only a business and home for the family and hikers need to respect that. Seemed like an operation to get the hiker(s) in and have them spend some $$ and then get them out. I got admit, if you like no nonsense, then WHL will not disappoint. You can go there and be anonymous and spend good money and leave w/o having felt like you slighted anyone by not being social at all. Bill would improve his PR tremendously if he just talked and made it seemd like he had some interest in hikers. I was a little amused when he told me that they lived there since 1991 or so but only found out about the AT in 1998-ish. Maybe he was raising Ben and had no time for hiking trivia, but Bill just had no clue that hikers on the AT spend money and had done so for years in Maine. Contrast that with Curtis down at Standing Bear and how they ended up near the AT and opened a hostel soon thereafter. I would not go to WHL again now because I feel that the value of my dollars spent there was not the best. The cost of resupplying there was a tad bit high. I met some hikers that think the place is the best. The best? Hmmmmmm. I tried to analyze that one. Is it the great prices? No. Is it the location? Yes, that could be it. Is it Bill and Linda? Well, they are decent parents and hostel operators, but do not expect Rusty's or even a church hostel in Vernon, NJ treatment. So, I am neutral on that one. Is it the food they sell? Well, a burger is OK. I won't complain. I had one. They are like 1 pound of meat. Food is good. So there you go. The hostel is about the food and location.
    How was the Tofu?

Default Over a million moose seen in Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    How was the Tofu?
    Tofu is for southbound fairies.

Tofu is for southbound fairies.
    Sorry, you're not who I thought you were.

Well, I thought both Bill and Linda were friendly. Bill seemed hiker-friendly to me.

The cost may have been high but that could be due to their location. I enjoyed the dinner and breakfast.

But they didn't have any ice cream!

I stayed at WHL on my hike this year. I will agree that Bill can be a bit grumpy, and some of the other hikers there had a problem with that, but seriously if you just give him some respect and a smile, he warms right up.

I had a great experience there, personally, and would recommend it to any hiker who has room in their budget for it. Be aware of the time of day, though, as they are totally inflexible on that whole "Pickup during daylight hours only" rule. The lake near the dock is full of rocks that are at, or just below, the surface, and running at night is dangerous. While I was there a pair of hikers showed up right at dusk and blew the horn. Bill and Linda just ignored it, since the rule is clearly posted, and those two had to camp at the edge of the lake and wait until morning to come over to resupply.

Also, late in the season the power company lowers the level of the lake, leaving it too low to get to the Mahar Tote Rd trail, so you have to hike the whole 1 mile back as well. No biggie.

Images

Stayed at WHL with a friend that need to shuttle out because of foot issues. They charged $100 for a twenty minute drive to the bus pick up. They really arn't "in the middle of nowhere" Less than a half hour from Millinocket down the golden road. I think they took advantage of my friends vulnerablilty and jumped at the opportunity to shuttle him out.. I wonder why. I was asstonsihed to hear how little driving actually took place to get him to the bus.
    It was however, a beautiful stay. Great place, great food.. If you go, take the canoes to the west side of the lake and follow the shore line for a half mile for a great view of Katahdin, and probable moose sightings.. a very sureal place indeed.

My only experience with them is that they do not accept mail drops for thru-hikers. I sent a package to Nimblefoot in 2005 at his request, and it was returned a month later.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Wonderful place. It breaks up the 100

Wonderful place. It breaks up the 100 Mile Wilderness and you can get a package there if you want. Prices were reasonable in 2003 - considering the 50 miles of bad roads to the nearest town. The folks were great. Friendly and helpful.

Spock said "Wonderful place. It breaks up the 100."

On the other hand, there are plenty of folks who find the last 100 miles so wonderful we don't WANT it broken up, and chose to hike from Monson to Baxter without any layovers. Plus, people who overnight at WHL generaly miss overnighting at Antlers Campsite or Patawadjo Shelter. The first spot is perhaps the loveliest place to camp on the whole A.T.; the other is a beautiful shelter with one of the Trail's best water sources.

I always pack enough food from Monson to go straight thru the last 100 because I neither want nor have the need for it to be broken up, but to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    Wonderful place. It breaks up the 100 Mile Wilderness and you can get a package there if you want. Prices were reasonable in 2003 - considering the 50 miles of bad roads to the nearest town. The folks were great. Friendly and helpful.
    I agree. It's a wonderful place to throw a tent up next to the lake. But no more packages are accepted. Most thru-hikers are ready to be done by then so they don't stop.

Images

Was at WHL in Aug '06...good time, great food. Bill mentioned that with the mild winters of late (and lack of good snowmobiling), thru hikers are their number one customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Spock said "Wonderful place. It breaks up the 100."

On the other hand, there are plenty of folks who find the last 100 miles so wonderful we don't WANT it broken up, and chose to hike from Monson to Baxter without any layovers. Plus, people who overnight at WHL generaly miss overnighting at Antlers Campsite or Patawadjo Shelter. The first spot is perhaps the loveliest place to camp on the whole A.T.; the other is a beautiful shelter with one of the Trail's best water sources.

I always pack enough food from Monson to go straight thru the last 100 because I neither want nor have the need for it to be broken up, but to each their own.
    totally agree with you Jack.

I went across there in 2002 intending to stay the night. I must have got them on a bad day as the husband and wife (I assumed they were married) were clearing having a long running argument. As you might expect I didn't feel too welcome and as I didn't want to be around that sort of atmosphere I bought a few supplies and moved on.

Accordingly I don't have fond memories of the place.
    Downunda

Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    you can get a package there if you want.
    No mail-drops anymore.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Have only stayed there once and had a positive experience. The pizza and burger were something I could never forget.

That said ...next time I traverse the wilderness I think I might seriously consider carrying enough food to get me all the way to Katahdin.

There are SO many one-of-a-kind campsites in the 100 mile wilderness and I promised myself that next time I would take my time and maybe even "zero" next to a pond as I approached the end of my hike.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Was at WHL in Aug '06...good time, great food. Bill mentioned that with the mild winters of late (and lack of good snowmobiling), thru hikers are their number one customers.
    By the time I got there, October '06, they had decided that they weren't going to even bother wintering there anymore. They've given up on the snowmobile season entirely and are looking to get winter caretaker jobs in Florida.

In any case, I had plenty of food to get me to Katahdin, but I wanted to blow that horn I would have stayed at Antlers, it was a beautiful site, but it was raining and I'm a wuss about wet tent. If I can avoid it, I do.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    totally agree with you Jack.
    i agree with peaks!!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++