WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Forget about sending a maildrop to Whitehouse Landing. They don't take maildrops. I stayed there. It was comfortable and nice. The burger is probably the best one on the trail. Everything is priced really high. You can do a limited ressuply there for a price.. Still it is great to be able to go there in the middle of the hundred mile wilderness.

This is the other thread. So I'll pick up here.

When should a hiker refuse to pay the full amount of an invoice?
    If there is a dispute over the price and/or services, what action should be taken?

Well I just finished reading this whole thread through and formed my own opinion, which is only of any value to me of course because I have never stayed there. It sounds to me like a place I would like to go to with my family as a destination to spend some money for a nice weekend, but I would be inclined to pass it by on a solo thru-hike. If the fellow was a little grumbly and there were a few extras and I felt I was overcharged I would likely still pay and not complain. At a chain motel or hotel I would complain, but not at somebodies home. So my question stands, but I don't think it applies to this place.

Now that I've read about it, I would pass it up on a thru-hike or the wilderness as a section hike, but I might go there for a weekend with my family if I wanted to go to someplace nice and spend some money. I tend not to mix the two, but I can see how others might. The blue blazes might have thrown me though, and I am not sure what it says in the guide book.

p.s. There is another thread. This one is about mail drops. I understand they don't do mail drops anymore, but you could probably arrange one if you did it well in advance and planned on staying overnight, or made an offer $$$.

Darn. Ignore or delete last post. Wrong thread.

Geezer

Uncle Tom's Trail Journal
    9-11-2007

Everyone but me wanted to go over to White House Landing Wilderness Camps for their one pound burger and a drink. It was a three mile walk just to get there; two North, then 0.9 down a side trail, where you blow an airhorn on a dock, and, hopefully the owner of the camp pilots over in a boat and ferries you back and forth to his camp, where you can eat his $8 one pound burger.

Not exactly. MEGATEX realized that we didn't all have to walk 6 miles to eat burgers and come back, especially in the pouring rain, that one person could go there, and bring the burgers back here where the rest of us woiuld stay warmer and drier in the lean-to. So, we negotiated a deal with The Golem. The Golem went over with $75 in cash, around the time for the evening meal . He was more than willing to do it in exchage for a free burger and a beer.

He was gone for about three hours when he came back, in the dark, empty handed. We took one look at his soaked and stressed presence and knew this was yet another adventure on the AT unfolding right before our eyes.

The Golem was very upset at how things had turned out. After the Golem walked there in the rain, and put in his order, the owner informed the Golem that, he "could do any thing with his business that he felt like". Today , he was not willing to make up any hamburgers to go. He was angry with the whole idea that potential cash clients would actually pass up a chance to pay $35 to stay in a bunkhouse with no electricity, and if anyone wanted a burger from his place they would have to come over themselves and eat it there. So, a determined businessman for sure, but it is undertandable why he complained about poor business this season. How can anyone who puts himself out there as a resource for hikers (a) refuse $75 in cash (b) refuse to welcome a thru hiker who had hiked 3 miles in the rain to get there, and (c) send them back in the rain without food?

I'm not getting it. I had heard from other hikers that the situaiton there is mixed, that the owner is moody, and somethings things ghet downright foolish, but this ??
    Frosty

Man, I don't know which is more ridiculous.....the owner's bad behavior, or that some schlub would actually walk 6 miles in the rain for a cheesburger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Man, I don't know which is more ridiculous.....the owner's bad behavior, or that some schlub would actually walk 6 miles in the rain for a cheesburger.
    really. ****in whiners

Sounds like a match made in heaven.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Read carefully Jack and you will realize that he was walking six miles for several hamburgers and beer. One for him. Several for his hiking buddies. You must remember Jack. These things happen all the time on trails, even the Appalachian Trail.

Weary

Images

The owner has a beautiful spot on a lake, a motor boat, several cabins, and the restaurant, all of which cost money to maintain. He counts on hiker business to keep it all going and is disappointed when they just want a burger, which hardly pays for the boat gas. I hadn't planned on stopping, but I'm sure glad I did. It costs, but it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    He counts on hiker business to keep it all going
    In the past, they have relied more on business from snowmobilers rather than from hikers, but there have been problems in some years with too little snowfall.

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulhiker View Post
    Forget about sending a maildrop to Whitehouse Landing. They don't take maildrops. I stayed there. It was comfortable and nice. The burger is probably the best one on the trail. Everything is priced really high. You can do a limited ressuply there for a price.. Still it is great to be able to go there in the middle of the hundred mile wilderness.
    If I close my eyes and really concentrate I can think of that massive burger at the WHL. My god was it the right food at the right moment.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ok I am interested- someone who has the address or a LAT/Long. please pm me.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Thumbs down White house Landing Wilderness Camp

I would not go there. The owner was unusually cruel with us. Here is my entry from last year's Trailjournal so that you can understand why.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=206036
    Uncle Tom

2007 AT GA-->ME
    2010 PCT Mex-->CAN
    Blogging at tjamrog.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Tom View Post
    I would not go there. The owner was unusually cruel with us. Here is my entry from last year's Trailjournal so that you can understand why.

Lol you're complaining about an owner you've never met and a hostel you've never been to. Ok now I've seen it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Tom View Post

i would hardly call it cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i would hardly call it cruel.
    Yah haha. Cruel would have been making your friend swim back to shore from the WHL

Images

I stayed at WHL last August, Found Bill and his wife to be very nice. As we talked during dinner he told me his dad was a thru hiker and if it wasn't for the thru hikers he would be in business. Then after dinner I was sitting on the porch reading my book when the horn sounded. Bill went over to pick up the hikers but even though it was in the dinner hours he refused to cook for them because he already cleaned up. They had to buy snacks and pop for dinner.

So Bill has a lot to learn about "customer satisification" and that is why I would not go back even though I had good conversation, great hamburger and a comfortable bed he stiffed these other hikers because he is lazy and didn't want to clean up again.
    WalkingStick"75"

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingStick75 View Post
    I stayed at WHL last August, Found Bill and his wife to be very nice. As we talked during dinner he told me his dad was a thru hiker and if it wasn't for the thru hikers he would be in business. Then after dinner I was sitting on the porch reading my book when the horn sounded. Bill went over to pick up the hikers but even though it was in the dinner hours he refused to cook for them because he already cleaned up. They had to buy snacks and pop for dinner.

So Bill has a lot to learn about "customer satisification" and that is why I would not go back even though I had good conversation, great hamburger and a comfortable bed he stiffed these other hikers because he is lazy and didn't want to clean up again.
    I just wonder if he told them that there would be no cooking before he brought them over.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++